Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Muskie Trolling with Salmon Gear

Message Subject: Muskie Trolling with Salmon Gear
jasonvkop
Posted 9/19/2013 2:31 PM (#664317)
Subject: Muskie Trolling with Salmon Gear

Just started to wonder why more people don't troll for muskies with some of the equipment used for big lake salmon (dipsy divers, flashers, etc)? I would think using flashers in the fall would definitely get the attention of some giant fish.
BenR
Posted 9/19/2013 2:37 PM (#664318 - in reply to #664317)
Subject: Re: Muskie Trolling with Salmon Gear

Out east they do use some similar techniques.
Flambeauski
Posted 9/19/2013 2:40 PM (#664319 - in reply to #664317)

Wonder how many muskies would eat the flasher instead of the trailer.
And would a flasher even work with a muskie sized bucktail or crankbait behind it?
I've used double 10's behind dipsies once. Lost the whole works on a crib, haven't tried it since.
horsehunter
Posted 9/19/2013 3:59 PM (#664330 - in reply to #664317)

I don't want anything down there without hooks. I've had them strike trolling motors and downrigger balls. Lots run riggers on the Larry.

Edited by horsehunter 9/19/2013 4:01 PM
fishpoop
Posted 9/19/2013 8:42 PM (#664382 - in reply to #664317)

I've wondered much the same thing myself.

As I understand it, having never used a flasher rig but from reading about them, the flasher is used ahead of a light fly or thin spoon. In addition to adding flash to the rig it also wobbles and causes the following fly or spoon to dart and shift direction. As was mentioned above, I doubt that it would be a strong enough wobble to affect a large crankbait or bucktail behind it. You'd need a lighter weight lure behind a flasher. Again, this is just a guess on my part.

I have experimented with making my own cowbells and so far have had no luck catching a muskie on one but truth be told I've not given them enough water time to really have an answer. I still think it would work though. I've just haven't been fishing much the last few years. My rig is the same basic design as a salmon/trout cowbell in fact I bought one and cut it apart for the trolling rudder then made my own using muskie grade seven strand wire and components. I didn't much like the spinners on the commercial rig either and so used my own various sizes of colorado blades with the smallest blade in front leading up to the largest blade in back right before the snap in front of the lure.

I've not used Dipsy Divers either. In theory they should work to get a lure deep but I don't know if the pull of a large crankbait would trip the release of the diver or not? If I remember correctly, In-Fisherman years ago ran an article about using salmon gear for muskies.

I've always been intrigued by converting ideas and methods for other fish species to muskie fishing. A fish is a fish after all.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 9/19/2013 8:47 PM (#664384 - in reply to #664382)

What about making a 5-Pounder out of a downrigger ball?
phishmasta
Posted 9/20/2013 4:12 AM (#664421 - in reply to #664317)

I've thought about using dipsey divers to get crankbaits down real deep before, but never tried it. They would pull muskie cranks no prob, you can adjust the amount of pull it takes to release it.
woodieb8
Posted 9/20/2013 5:01 AM (#664424 - in reply to #664317)

depth control. ever hang a ball up?
we use lead inline weights. much easier.
downrigger wires pik up every weed strand.
been there dun that
sean61s
Posted 9/20/2013 8:04 AM (#664444 - in reply to #664317)
Subject: RE: Muskie Trolling with Salmon Gear

I've experimented with dipsy divers while row trolling. Pretty cool as they get the bait down deep almost directly under the boat, as opposed to having to run a bait with 100 ft of line out... The down side is , they create a bit of drag, and make it harder to move the boat!
Contender
Posted 9/20/2013 8:12 AM (#664445 - in reply to #664317)

Flashers - yes, can pull double 10s, and muskies will also hit the flasher
Dodger/squid - yes, and muskies hit the dodger more than the squid.
Dipsys - yes, they pull musky cranks and spinners, but also get hit. (Snubbers are a MUST)
Downriggers - Yes.....and work great for keeping the lure clean, because the rigger cable collects the floating/suspended weeds.
In-line boards - Yes, and muskies eat the boards, too. (Big complaint/problem on LSC for walleye guys)

Edited by Contender 9/20/2013 8:14 AM
Posted 9/20/2013 9:10 AM (#664467 - in reply to #664317)
Subject: RE: Muskie Trolling with Salmon Gear

The Indiana state record Muskie was caught trolling a bulldawg behind a dipsy diver. That's what I've been told at least.
MD75
Posted 9/20/2013 3:20 PM (#664539 - in reply to #664317)

FYI- I switched to a clear dipsy instead of my orange an green ones and haven't had one hit yet...knock on wood.
fishpoop
Posted 9/20/2013 10:33 PM (#664586 - in reply to #664539)

MD75 - 9/20/2013 3:20 PM

FYI- I switched to a clear dipsy instead of my orange an green ones and haven't had one hit yet...knock on wood.

That sounds like a good tip to me. Thanks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)