Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Down imaging and side imaging

Message Subject: Down imaging and side imaging
hunter991
Posted 9/16/2013 1:55 PM (#663484)
Subject: Down imaging and side imaging

Has anyone installed electronics that allow for side or down imaging? Has it made a difference in your productivity? (more fish in the net)

Was thinking of installing this winter but have heard mixed reviews.
Brad P
Posted 9/16/2013 2:15 PM (#663489 - in reply to #663484)
Subject: Re: Down imaging and side imaging

I would think about it like you are adding another tool to your fishing. The question on productivity really comes down to how often you are going to use said tool. If you are willing to invest time into using the sonar to identify spots, features, bait, etc. then it “should” add to your productivity. If you are just going to fish your milk run and do not really care to spend much time with experimentation/exploration then the tool may not add value.

These are the things I’ve found SI useful for, I’m sure it is not an all-inclusive list:

Comb open water while trying to find bait pods. (You have to be willing to invest the time to go out there and trawl at 2MPH-8MPH to find said bait)
It can be used early season to identify rocks on spots otherwise covered by weeds later in the season. (Again you’ve got to go out and do this.)
It can be used to troll edges and identify cuts or irregularities in the weedline.
Probably the best tool out there for finding bottom hardness transitions.

SI gives you what you put into it. You can certainly catch fish without it. Just depends on what you want to do with it.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)