Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Best rod to cast pounders?

Message Subject: Best rod to cast pounders?
Brad P
Posted 8/29/2013 9:01 AM (#660277 - in reply to #659885)
Subject: Re: Best rod to cast pounders?

I plan to have a custom built for these baits this winter. That doens't really answer the question, but if you are looking for "The Best" rod for a specific lure, then I would suggest that custom is the way to go.

My big factors will be rod weight, length, and how it loads on the cast. I'm currently fishing this kind of stuff with a 9-6 XXH Predator. It balances well with the Tranx PG (which makes a big difference in endurance) and handles the figure 8 / rips very well. However, it doesn't load up quite to my liking, making the cast more work than it should be. (ironically it casts 13s ver well) The point here is that only with a custom can you put all these factors into play and find the best mix for you. If you change the parameters to something like "best for under $200" then the answer changes.
gordonmann69
Posted 8/29/2013 1:28 PM (#660314 - in reply to #659885)

Money aside, Tackle Industries all the way. MI rods are pool sticks. I have heard good things about Tooth Tammer rods from a buddy but have never owned one. I was a hard core St Croix user before I started using TI rods. Best pounder rods I have ever used and super light.
Killerbug
Posted 9/3/2013 11:20 PM (#661195 - in reply to #659885)

I think what Zinox is really trying to say is, that the answer to your question, is very much dependent on the affiliated brands of certain fishing sites. In the Myskyhunter forum, St Criox is the answer, on the Next Bite, Bass Pro Shops Musky rods, Esoxhunt members seems to favor Reactionstrike Bulldawg series etc.

Many people judge their fishing rods from the following criterias below. TI rods scores high in those criteria, so thats why people like them. But so does Ct Criox, Reactionstrike, etc.

1. Casting and fish handling.
2. Price
3 Ergonomics.
4. Rod finish.

Personally the rods action, means a lot to me, and actions sometimes differs, even within the same rod series. And unfortunately there are only one way to find out what rod that fits your needs. and that is to try them out. Maybe if you show up to one of the outings arranges by Muskies First, (and try some of the rods used by the guys), you would find your dream rod faster.

I could fish any rod in a given situation, if I have to, but I am a strong believer in 8" and 6,6" footers. This leaves me with only a few brands to choose from.
Killerbug
Posted 9/3/2013 11:40 PM (#661197 - in reply to #660314)

gordonmann69 - 8/29/2013 1:28 PM

Money aside, Tackle Industries all the way. MI rods are pool sticks. I have heard good things about Tooth Tammer rods from a buddy but have never owned one. I was a hard core St Croix user before I started using TI rods. Best pounder rods I have ever used and super light.

MI Rods,now Reactionstrike Bulldawg Series, have something like 70 models to choose from!, what model exactly are you referring to?. I am asking because I fish the 8" 10oz, and it's a dream blank for the beginner or average angler, as it loads sufficiently with a DC8's and throws a magnum as far as you want.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)