Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Boat Tires....Nitrogen?

Message Subject: Boat Tires....Nitrogen?
rjhyland
Posted 8/28/2013 8:43 PM (#660189)
Subject: Boat Tires....Nitrogen?

Is anyone using Nitrogen in their boat tailor tires? I'm thinking about doing that. The tire pressure is supposed to be more steadily, meaning less uneven tire wear due to leakage There is less contraction and expansion and is supposed to help with moisture and less heat.
If something this simple can prevent a potential blow out to or from my favorite watering hole I think it would be worth it.

Ron

Tackle Industries
Posted 8/28/2013 8:53 PM (#660194 - in reply to #660189)
Subject: Re: Boat Tires....Nitrogen?

Correct on nitrogen filled tires. For best results, just buy new tires when you see the current ones start to get micro cracks and of course always have a spare.... Doubt if you have access to it but if you can get argon that is even better as it hardly expands or contracts at all due to temperature.
VMS
Posted 8/28/2013 9:31 PM (#660207 - in reply to #660189)

Question...

Is it really worth it to get Nitrogen when simple air is made up of almost 80% nitrogen?

Steve
miket55
Posted 8/28/2013 10:48 PM (#660222 - in reply to #660189)

The only advantage to nitrogen is it has zero water, as opposed to compressed air that has whatever atmospheric moisture included at no extra charge.. (deflate a tire and see the mist coming out the valve stem, along with that "rotting fish" smell). This moisture has an slow acting adverse effect (rot), but not enough to warrant the expense.

Nitrogen is used primarily in tires for large aircraft, since they are prohibitively expensive and are recapped several times over the life of the "carcass".
rjhyland
Posted 8/29/2013 9:03 AM (#660279 - in reply to #660189)

Thanks for the input. I had not priced what the cost would be but I do know they are using nitrogen more and more.
Perhaps in time it may be standard.

Ron
Nershi
Posted 8/29/2013 11:33 AM (#660303 - in reply to #660189)

The only problem I see is I have been told not to put regular air in your tire if you have it nitrogen filled. I have never asked why or what will happen but I have been told that by a couple of mechanics. It would be a bummer to be on the road with a slow leak and need to fill up with no nitrogen available. Most tire shops fill with Nitrogen now.
Zib
Posted 8/29/2013 2:47 PM (#660334 - in reply to #660189)
Subject: RE: Boat Tires....Nitrogen?

When I got new tires on my '04 Ranger they were filled with nitrogen & never had to add more after that for 60K miles. My wife's Fusion needed air added to her tires about every 3 months & her warning light about low tire pressure was getting annoying but once I got her new tires with nitrogen I haven't had to mess with them for a year now. Got new boat trailer tires last year with nitrogen & my tires are still full.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)