Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Top Walker Surface bait - line twist

Message Subject: Top Walker Surface bait - line twist
Grass
Posted 8/13/2013 2:22 PM (#657177)
Subject: Top Walker Surface bait - line twist

I like using the Top Walker surface bait, but I get problems with line twist with this bait. I remember a post from a few years ago someone posted how they use multiple snaps to keep the line twist to a minimum. Can anyone help me out with this bait?
Thanks,
Grass
Skyblaster
Posted 8/13/2013 2:30 PM (#657178 - in reply to #657177)
Subject: Re: Top Walker Surface bait - line twist

I have never used a Top Walker personally but if I remember correctly the entire body w/prop spins around the shaft, correct? If that is the case and your leader doesn't have a swivel on it to absorb any possible rotation of the wire you are going to have that happen. I know the theory is that the wire should not have to spin but it will rotate during the cast and figure 8 not to mention occasionally durign the retrieve.

I have put split rings and barrel swivels on similar type prop baits to ensure the line twist doesn't happen. I hope I am on the same page with that lure, again I have never used that exact one.
wicked
Posted 8/13/2013 2:38 PM (#657182 - in reply to #657177)

You can make your leader with a swivel on top and another swivel on bottom that you attach the snap too.
muskyroller
Posted 8/13/2013 5:04 PM (#657222 - in reply to #657177)

Steve Suick was really good to me with the first generation of these. I bought one, had it twist (with swivels on the leader) and then talked to him at the musky show the following spring. He wrote down my name and address and shipped me a new one with the problem fixed. Did not even ask to have the old one back or return ship. That's customer service! Forever a suick customer now.

Steve
Elkman99
Posted 8/14/2013 8:48 AM (#657317 - in reply to #657177)
Subject: RE: Top Walker Surface bait - line twist

Grass - 8/13/2013 2:22 PM

I like using the Top Walker surface bait, but I get problems with line twist with this bait. I remember a post from a few years ago someone posted how they use multiple snaps to keep the line twist to a minimum. Can anyone help me out with this bait?
Thanks,
Grass

it might have been my post a while back you are referring to. After talking to the folks who made the bait, I ended up puting a ball bearing swivel on the lure itself, and then attached my snaplock to the ball bearing. No issues since.
Bucky_Musky
Posted 8/14/2013 8:54 AM (#657318 - in reply to #657317)

I have the Suick Nitewalker (a favorite lure of mine when tuned properly and my PB came on it) and it is an absolute must to have at least a ball bearing swivel on the leader, if you can add one to the lure itself (as noted above), it helps even more. I have found it however, a little more difficult to tune the Nitewalker than other similar lures. Mine just kind of does a full death spin with the belly hook flying end over end now. Even so, still a favorite of mine.
wicked
Posted 8/14/2013 10:04 AM (#657334 - in reply to #657177)

I think he's talking the musky buster topwalker. Prop bait up front with bucktail behind. I could be wrong though.
Jeff Hanson
Posted 8/14/2013 11:40 AM (#657358 - in reply to #657334)

For the Musky Buster Topwalker- Just put a split ring on a good ball bearing swivel and attach to lure then attach your leader to the other end of ball bearing and you will be set, no more twist
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
Grass
Posted 8/14/2013 11:44 AM (#657360 - in reply to #657177)
Subject: RE: Top Walker Surface bait - line twist

Thanks for the tips, I'll add a ball bearing to the lure.
ghoti
Posted 8/14/2013 1:56 PM (#657389 - in reply to #657177)

For those of you with Suick Nitewalker problems, it's an easy fix. The front section needs to be fixed to the thru wire shaft. What I do is slide the front piece all the way back, push a toothpick into the nose hole as far as possible and break off flush. Then use a 1 min. two part epoxy and apply to the shaft and nose hole. Slide the front portion forward all the way to the line tie, making sure the rear hook hanger is straight down and in line with the front hook.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)