Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> beginer muskie fishing

Message Subject: beginer muskie fishing
jakem
Posted 8/9/2013 11:23 AM (#656510)
Subject: beginer muskie fishing

just started muskie fishing and asking what baits work the best and what style of usage, ie trolling casting ect.
FAT-SKI
Posted 8/9/2013 11:59 AM (#656523 - in reply to #656510)
Subject: RE: beginer muskie fishing

do a search first and find some reading. There is more info spread accross this site then you are going to be able to handle in one sitting. Take a few important notes and start there.

Biggest things to me are.

Make sure you have all the right release tools, net, hook cutter, jaw spreader, loong nose pliers, hook out ect. Once your set. Get a black skirt Nickle bladed double cow girl and cast it until you hook up.
Schultz345
Posted 8/9/2013 4:12 PM (#656589 - in reply to #656510)
Subject: Re: beginer muskie fishing

Get a good rod and reel to start. Don't go cheap. It will only make things more difficult. A good 8 foot rod with a good casting reel is essential. Plenty of conversations on that around this site.

When I first started I bought 3 lures. A bucktail, a topwater, and a bulldawg. If you can't catch a muskie on these baits, there is something wrong.

As for fishing, here's the basic.
1. Get good electronics with good maps (lakemaster chip)
2. Spend a day on the water your going to focus on just learning the structure. It will take years to fully understand the structure, but every bend, break, hole, and flat has unique characteristics that make them hold fish at different times.
3. Match the bait to the forage in your lake.
4. Find the forage in your lake
5. Learn how to work the structure with the forage on it. Boat control is very important. Much to be read on here about that as well.
6. The essentials. Tools to release. Good pliers and net, and a hook cutter.
7. Realize that musky fishing is the most humbling experience you'll ever undertake. The cold, the slumps, the boat issues, the hooks in the hand, the sunburn, the pleasure boaters, all things that will break you down over time. It's important to just remember that the next cast could yield a monster.

Other than that, start reading. This site and several others contain enough information for anyone to learn a few tricks.
The Swan
Posted 8/11/2013 2:50 PM (#656820 - in reply to #656510)
Subject: RE: beginer muskie fishing

First of all, don't get jaked. What you are undertaking is difficult; and don't underestimate the task of learning it. At the same time, there is no fish that will stun you like a musky. Some basic advice. Don't go out in a boat after musky without having a net that will handle this fish. It doesn't have to be expensive, but it has to be big enough. A big bass, walleye, or modest pike net will not do. Take gloves. Inexpensive cotton gloves from a Supermarket or Dollar store will do. Always take long nose pliers--not just needle nose--eight inchers. You don't need to buy the most expensive rod, reel, or lures. But they have to be adequate to the job. Don't buy any lure because it is cheap, it may be money down the drain. Get modestly sized lures that have a good track record. Some things work. Some don't. Some work better than others. Read. There is a lot you can learn from books. Three books I'd recommend for newbies are Heiting and Saric, "Complete Guide To Muskie Hunting" (or some such name); Tony Rizzo, "Secrets Of A Muskie Guide" (I); and Dick Pearson, "Muskies On The Sheild."
Pointerpride102
Posted 8/11/2013 3:39 PM (#656823 - in reply to #656510)

Buy used gear off the buy/sell/trade board. Can get some decent deals down there.
ILmuskie
Posted 8/12/2013 7:34 AM (#656891 - in reply to #656510)

Muskie My Way book by Jim Saric is a good book!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)