Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Trout Water?

Message Subject: Trout Water?
IlliniMuskie
Posted 8/8/2013 9:48 PM (#656372)
Subject: Trout Water?

I'm reading Muskies On The Shield by Dick Pearson. I am going to Canada next summer and I wanted to gain some knowledge and info that will help me be more successful. The amount of information in this book is incredible, and more than I can digest at one time. Gonna need to re-read it a few times and hope a little more sinks in each time.

One question that I have is about Trout Water vs. Meso Water. He makes a definite distinction between the two types of water and devotes a chapter to each. The lake I'm going to (Kishkutena) has Lake Trout. Does this make it Trout Water? I know it's a very clear lake, but it's not nearly as deep as other Trout Water lakes. Knowing which category Kishkutena would fit into will help me better determine my strategies for this lake
MuskyMATT7
Posted 8/8/2013 11:11 PM (#656382 - in reply to #656372)
Subject: Re: Trout Water?

"Trout water" is a generic term. Read up on oligotrophic, mesotrophic, and eutrophic lakes. Different sections of lake can also be "categorized" in different trophic levels. I would think google scholar would have more research and anlaysis on these subjects than you could read in a year.
The Swan
Posted 8/9/2013 10:01 AM (#656476 - in reply to #656372)
Subject: RE: Trout Water?

Find out what the lake's rep is vis-a-vis muskies. Are a lot caught there? Are they sighted frequently? What structures are present? Are there a lot of weedbeds? That is what you want. A big lake may be complex; and portions of it may be oligotrophic while other portions may be mesotrophic. Isn't Eagle Lake Ont. like that? Lake of the Woods? If what you want are good numbers of muskies, you probably want to be on mesotrophic water.
IlliniMuskie
Posted 8/9/2013 10:15 AM (#656485 - in reply to #656476)

That's the confusing part. It's known as a numbers lake, lots and lots of follows, but it's clear water and has lake trout. I'm not sure about the abundance of weeds.

Edited by IlliniMuskie 8/9/2013 10:19 AM
curleytail
Posted 8/9/2013 10:35 AM (#656490 - in reply to #656372)

Check out this link and scroll down towards the bottom of the page for an example of oligotrophic, mesotrpohic, and eutrophic.

http://des.nh.gov/organization/commissioner/pip/factsheets/bb/docum...

If you know the water clarity and have a map of the lake with weeds and rock shown, you can probably classify the lake the lake without ever seeing it.

I think I understand the why, but I always think it's interesting that oligotrphic lakes are commonly low density waters that have some of the biggest, heaviest fish in them, and that Eutrophic lakes seem to have higher populations of smaller fish.

It seems like the lakes that have more nutrients would more easily grow heavier fish. Lots of other variables at play there. I imagine a big one is Oligotrophic lakes are usually cold water lakes and the forage tends to have a higher fat content to deal with the cold temps and lack of food.

Edited by curleytail 8/9/2013 10:37 AM
tswoboda
Posted 8/9/2013 4:04 PM (#656585 - in reply to #656372)

Kish is an oligotrophic lake with a high population of relatively smaller fish. Trout water, just has more and smaller fish than other "trout water" lakes like WFB and Eagle.

Are you flying in?
IlliniMuskie
Posted 8/9/2013 10:04 PM (#656652 - in reply to #656585)

Yes we will be flying in. Would love to try the portage sometime, though.
The Swan
Posted 8/10/2013 11:14 AM (#656696 - in reply to #656485)

IlliniMuskie - 8/9/2013 10:15 AM

That's the confusing part. It's known as a numbers lake, lots and lots of follows, but it's clear water and has lake trout. I'm not sure about the abundance of weeds.

Well, if it's known as a numbers lake, there are probably weedbeds. But I'd check on that carefully. Clear water isn't bad--fish usually live longer there. In lure selection, I would just start with natural finish cranks. Coach dog looks a little suspicious.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)