Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Dog Jumping off Boat...

Message Subject: Dog Jumping off Boat...
whynot
Posted 7/31/2013 8:36 AM (#654678)
Subject: Dog Jumping off Boat...

Anyone else have a pup that likes to hunt flies in the boat? My brittany thinks it is fun apparently and has taken to launching herself off the boat in pursuit lately. Hasn't been an issue yet, but I can see it turning into a nightmare quick! The first time she did it she looked like one of those dogs jumping off docks on t.v. Scared the crap out of me.

Suggestions for training it out of her, short of not bringing her or tying her up?

Chris

Imobley
Posted 7/31/2013 9:14 AM (#654685 - in reply to #654678)
Subject: RE: Dog Jumping off Boat...

whynot - 7/31/2013 9:36 AM

Anyone else have a pup that likes to hunt flies in the boat? My brittany thinks it is fun apparently and has taken to launching herself off the boat in pursuit lately. Hasn't been an issue yet, but I can see it turning into a nightmare quick! The first time she did it she looked like one of those dogs jumping off docks on t.v. Scared the crap out of me.

Suggestions for training it out of her, short of not bringing her or tying her up?

Chris

How old is she? It could be as simple as waiting for her to calm down a bit as she gets older, puppies' minds are all over the place
curleytail
Posted 7/31/2013 9:22 AM (#654686 - in reply to #654678)
Subject: Re: Dog Jumping off Boat...

I have a Springer Spaniel. When I started taking him as a new puppy, I hooked him to a leash tied to one of the pedistal chairs. Just long enough to put his front feet up on the front or back deck of my boat, and short enough to not go over either side. Maybe I got lucky, but he NEVER tries to jump out of the boat unless it's beached and he gets the ok. Being that I tied him up right away, maybe he believes that he can't jump out when the boat is on the water?

He acts the same way about pet gates that were up from day one. They seem to be an impassible obstacle for him, even though he could now push them over or even jump over them. I might have got lucky but it worked for me.

Maybe try tieing her up for several outings and see if that helps. Otherwise, enough corrections over time will probably get the idea to sink in.
ckhawkeye51
Posted 7/31/2013 9:27 AM (#654687 - in reply to #654678)

My dad had a springer spaniel that LOVED to jump on thrashing muskies and swim around with them boat side lol...everyone is all excited and getting the net and splash lol. He love attacking hazard buoys and sticks/weeds as well lol. I don't recal ever loosing fish but good god was it stressful getting the dang dog back in lol
Will Schultz
Posted 7/31/2013 9:40 AM (#654697 - in reply to #654678)

It just takes time and patience. Our last Golden pup started out wanting to retrieve the lure on every cast, I would give him one chance and then put him on the leash. Took a couple days to train that out of him, then he would only want to retrieve jumping fish. That took a smallmouth trip to learn the lesson he quickly learned that by the time he got to the first splash I had the fish in hand. I would allow him to swim a couple times a day since it would be cruel and unusual punishment to keep a water dog out of the water. By his second summer in the boat he was a great boat dog with the occasional attempt to retrieve a duck that would land near the boat but I can't blame him for that he was just trying to do his job.
The Swan
Posted 7/31/2013 10:01 AM (#654704 - in reply to #654697)

What do you think a water oriented dog like a golden retriever or springer spaniel wants to do when it gets around water? It wants to jump in. The answer is to get a dog that is more land oriented; and then teach it not to leap off the boat.
Nick59
Posted 7/31/2013 10:49 AM (#654719 - in reply to #654704)

My labs will head to water every chance he gets. Soon as you stop the truck at the cabin... in the water. Training is the only answer. (training collar works the best, but you have to follow the process) They need to know what they are not suppose to do before using the collar.

Good luck,
Nick

Edited by Nick59 7/31/2013 10:51 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(052.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 052.jpg (86KB - 122 downloads)
whynot
Posted 7/31/2013 10:56 AM (#654727 - in reply to #654678)

She's a 2.5 year old Brittany...who is a great boat dog and usually pretty calm after the first spot or two each day. She just picked up the fly hunting and jumping off the boat this year on Lake of the Woods. It was actually hilarious the first time she did it, but not the 2nd and 3rd. I'm guessing it will just take paying attention and telling her no to get her past this issue, but was looking for creative solutions.
KenK
Posted 7/31/2013 11:02 AM (#654731 - in reply to #654678)

My Lab, rest her soul, loved the water and she too would jump in as soon as we got to the cabin. She also loved to jump ship and chase ducks and geese every chance she had. She did calm down as she got older, but the love for water was with her to the end.
jakejusa
Posted 7/31/2013 11:08 AM (#654733 - in reply to #654678)

Had one of those once. I stuck her in the net and left her till she got tired. Next time she jumped in again in the net she went. End result if that SOB net was in my boat so was the dog. She didn't want anything to do with it. Which dbl'd the cause as my fear she would go after a fish with a plug in it's face and I'd have two of them hooked.
Nick59
Posted 7/31/2013 1:06 PM (#654761 - in reply to #654733)

jakejusa - 7/31/2013 11:08 AM

Had one of those once. I stuck her in the net and left her till she got tired. Next time she jumped in again in the net she went. End result if that SOB net was in my boat so was the dog. She didn't want anything to do with it. Which dbl'd the cause as my fear she would go after a fish with a plug in it's face and I'd have two of them hooked.

Now that's being creative.
Chico R
Posted 7/31/2013 1:17 PM (#654765 - in reply to #654678)

Wish I would have known some ways to train my black lab. Took him in the boat for some ice out channel panfish a few years ago...had him leashed to the front seat but as soon as the boat slowed down a bit in he went. swimming next to the boat leash and all
ToddM
Posted 7/31/2013 4:35 PM (#654812 - in reply to #654678)

run one od those electric wires on the perimeter of your boat with a shock collar.
whynot
Posted 7/31/2013 5:00 PM (#654820 - in reply to #654678)

Lol, she would be devastated if I did that. Usually she spends most of the day with her head over the side watching lures and watching for follows.
esoxaddict
Posted 7/31/2013 5:02 PM (#654821 - in reply to #654678)

Well... I'd rather have a dog in the boat that wanted to jump out and swim than one who was afraid or water, or worse yet couldn't swim at all. As for eating flies? Are they black flies? If so, wanna sell that dog?
danmuskyman
Posted 7/31/2013 5:25 PM (#654826 - in reply to #654678)

My 1 1/2 yr old Brittany is the same way with flies. He will chase them all over the house or yard but hes only jumped out of the boat once. He usually sits at my feet or stares over the side or on my pedal like a dope! Maybe its a Brittany thing?
Tim R
Posted 7/31/2013 6:16 PM (#654832 - in reply to #654820)

Kinda like this ? She actually fell in the lake Saturday night. Not sure if it was a suicide jump or fall. She don't like water much

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(bandit.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments bandit.jpg (10KB - 139 downloads)
kjgmh
Posted 8/1/2013 9:14 AM (#654912 - in reply to #654678)

My first lab was good in the boat unless I threw a Weagle, then he would want to jump in and retrieve it. I tied his leash to a seat base to keep him in the boat. But turns out the leash was just long enough for him to get over the side of the boat and almost strangle himself. It was a challenge and I had quite a crowd watching as I was trying to pull in a 105lb lab half in the water and trying to hang himself. I ended up training him to stay on a rug on the back deck and that worked great. My current lab also is trained to stay on the back deck.
esox99
Posted 8/1/2013 8:55 PM (#655035 - in reply to #654678)

A dog in the boat keeps things interesting. Our 5-pounder chases flies when she is bored, but would rather bark at fish and look over the side for follows. When she was a pup she jumped overboard after a hooked muskie 4 times her size; luckily she only did that once. People know if we're catching fish; she starts barking on each hookset and keeps it up until each fish is released or (if walleye or crappie) put in the livewell. She has also jumped in the livewell with a walleye
dr_hellhound
Posted 8/1/2013 9:44 PM (#655053 - in reply to #654678)

Muuki and I on the hunt.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)