Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Talon or Power Pole

Message Subject: Talon or Power Pole
itmusky
Posted 7/20/2013 9:49 PM (#652835)
Subject: Talon or Power Pole

I am looking to get an electronic anchor for my boat and I am looking for advice. For those of you who have one of these I am curious to how you like them good/bad. How well do they deploy and then come back up in mud and ruff water. Also I see people who have 2 of these off the transom, what makes 2 better?

In case it makes a difference I have a 17 1/2 ft glass boat.

Thanks!
pikepatrol
Posted 7/21/2013 5:12 PM (#652912 - in reply to #652835)
Subject: RE: Talon or Power Pole

i have a talon-

with the talon you can get a quick release tilt bracket to fold the unit into your boat if you need the space to get into a garage or anything like that. it has worked well for me so far. no issues coming back out of mud, if it does get stuck there is a manual retrieval screw that you just need to turn with a ratchet. there is a continual "draw" on the battery it is hooked up to, so if that battery is not on a bank charger when not in use make sure you instal it to a breaker switch that you can turn off when not in use. this also makes for peace of mind when trailering knowing that if the power is shut off to it, the unit cannot accidentally deploy

People have two of them to stop the boat from spinning on the anchor as wind will blow your bow. if you just read the wind and pole down from there to the position you want it works just as good. another option i use is to keep the bow in position with the front electric (side to side) as your are pinned in position by the talon.

i went with the talon because i did not want to screw with hydrolic lines, pumps, etc. one wire to the battery and you can be set. depending on your boat you might need an attachment plate which are another few hundred bucks, for my 620 i had to get a sandwhich plate that mounts between the motor and the transom.
Mojo1269
Posted 7/22/2013 8:02 AM (#652970 - in reply to #652835)
Subject: Re: Talon or Power Pole

I have a Power Pole on my 1860 Angler and Love it. I went with it over the Talon as I think it has a little more versaltitily with some of the options. There are both good products its just a matter of which one you like.
mtcook16
Posted 7/22/2013 9:09 AM (#652981 - in reply to #652835)
Subject: Re: Talon or Power Pole

Did you see that Minnkota released a 10' and 12' version of the Talon at ICAST? You may want to wait to get one of those. Why not have the ability to anchor in deeper water if you are going to get one anyway?
esoxfly
Posted 7/22/2013 11:02 PM (#653138 - in reply to #652835)
Subject: RE: Talon or Power Pole

I have dual PP's.   I've had mine since 08 or 09, which is before Talons were out, so I really didn't choose either one, but went with what was available at the time. Both have their fans and pros and cons, but I went PP because I like the simplicity of them; "up" or "down."  A lot of the Talon guys like the modes and the beeps of the Talon, but that's exactly what I don't like about them.  The hydraulics aren't that big of a deal for me.  A pump and two lines.  As for accidentally deploying, yes that can happen.  To prevent that, I simply installed a switch on the main power line and my PP's have an on/off switch.

I'd say the biggest thing for me now are PP's Drift Paddles.  I started using them last fall and they changed my fishing.  They're perfect for drift fishing, drift speed, and especially fly fishing where boat angle on the drift is one of the most important things, and it brings a use to them in deeper water.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(paddles.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(paddles down.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments paddles.jpg (110KB - 248 downloads)
Attachments paddles down.jpg (82KB - 227 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)