Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Musky lures in the ocean

Message Subject: Musky lures in the ocean
Bjayz12
Posted 11/27/2012 11:36 AM (#599787)
Subject: Musky lures in the ocean

Has anyone ever used musky lures in the ocean? My family has a place in Fort Myers and we usually fish reefs (Edison reef if anyone is familiar with the area). We always jig off the bottom, but I am always curious what would happen if we threw some rubber baits out there, or maybe a DCG. Anyone ever do this? Just curious
muskyhunter47
Posted 11/27/2012 11:45 AM (#599789 - in reply to #599787)
Subject: Re: Musky lures in the ocean

try it dont know why it would not work. dont know what the salt would do
Tackle Industries
Posted 11/27/2012 11:50 AM (#599791 - in reply to #599787)

About 10% of my lures are sold for saltwater fishing. I do think some guys change the hooks and rings out but many just use them as-is.
James
IM Musky Time
Posted 11/27/2012 1:06 PM (#599800 - in reply to #599787)
Subject: RE: Musky lures in the ocean

You will catch fish and probably not have to wait as long between casts as normal

Don't forget your release tools. You don't want to have to stick your hand in a barracuda's mouth to get the hooks out.
muskie! nut
Posted 11/27/2012 1:20 PM (#599804 - in reply to #599787)

Cast them. I would try them all.

This is not me

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(cuda.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cuda.jpg (40KB - 423 downloads)
jason hillman
Posted 11/27/2012 1:22 PM (#599805 - in reply to #599787)

My experience with saltwater fish (rather limited) is that most are pretty dumb and prefer simple presentations. Not sure what you are thinking of targeting with a DCG, but I wouldn't throw one for the simple fact that saltwater will ruin it. When I used to go to florida, targeting mostly inshore species like redfish, trout, flounder, drum, snook, and pompano, I would pack and haul down all sorts of fancy tackle... and after a few years I learned I only caught fish on about 3-4 lures.
1. Jig and plastic (curly tail, shrimp or swim bait body)
2. Spoon (krocodile spoon or johnson silver minnow)
3. Topwater (chug bug or spook)
4. Doc's goofy Jig (pompano jig)

If you are targeting larger species with DCG like cuda, i would say it is far more important to reel the bait as fast as you can to trigger cuda strikes... something you can't really do with a DCG anyway. But for snook, reds, trout... it's hard to beat spooks and jigs. I would throw spoons for cudas and macks (make sure to use wire leader). And for flounder, stick with the jigs/softtails.

Good luck, if I can help with anything, let me know. Never fished in your particular area, but depending on target species, they are usually pretty universal everywhere i've been.
jason hillman
Posted 11/27/2012 1:25 PM (#599806 - in reply to #599787)

and i'm sure you don't need this tip, but remember to rinse off all your equipment with freshwater after every use. rods, reels, lures, eyelets, anything that has anything metal on it can and will corrode from the salt.
IAJustin
Posted 11/27/2012 1:25 PM (#599808 - in reply to #599800)

they definitely work, some better than others BUT a DB-10 or magdawg would not be the first thing to try - IMO. 4-7" WTD topwater and crankbaits that size can be deadly! I've done very well on Rapala X-walk's and the largest suspending x-raps (XR12 jerkbait) both Inshore and offshore. Whites, blues and silvers/chrome are always a good bet in the ocean. Good luck!

Edited by IAJustin 11/27/2012 1:37 PM
esox50
Posted 11/27/2012 2:09 PM (#599816 - in reply to #599808)

+1 on IAJustin's comments. Have had barracuda and horse-eye jacks slam Rapala X-Walks (blue/chrome) with authority. Various large Heddon topwaters (Zara Spook and one with props up front and behind, though the latter didn't last very long before teeth made it a sub-surface bait...) worked too. Saw several (commercial and subsistence) fishermen using Bomber Long-As and other slim-profile, shallow running cranks.
Jeremy
Posted 11/27/2012 2:26 PM (#599822 - in reply to #599787)

No but going the other way...I'm going to give these a try next summer...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/thegubster/pike/001.jpg

cocathntr
Posted 11/27/2012 3:51 PM (#599839 - in reply to #599787)

from my understanding, many of the top water walk the dog type lures. came from salt water use.
SlabSlayer
Posted 11/27/2012 3:59 PM (#599842 - in reply to #599787)

I took a couple basement DCGs to Alaska this summer, ocean fishing, not rivers. The guide thought I was joking when I told him we would try them and they would work since they are considerably larger than their baits, although not the flashers. It didn't take long to get a fish (salmon) on the first one, lost the second one to something big trolling it down 120 ft in 300 FOW. I realize it's different than what you're looking to do, but the point is yes they work in the ocean.
Posted 11/27/2012 6:26 PM (#599862 - in reply to #599787)

Goliath Grouper....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOrn9LXaVH4
killroy
Posted 11/27/2012 7:39 PM (#599877 - in reply to #599787)

Caught three kings and a false albacore on a six inch x-rap this last spring. Caught a bunch of spaniards on one of the smaller versions too. Came back and caught a 33 inch Muskie and a six lbs walleye on the same x-rap the next week.
Stan Durst 1
Posted 11/28/2012 1:08 PM (#600041 - in reply to #599877)

All the custom lures I paint are all saltwater ready, just change hooks to stainless or galvanized and they are ready to go. Been doing this for years. Lot of the stuff I have done has been used in saltwater but I can't really tell you which ones as I have not fished them, but I have clients that do and they work.
Bjayz12
Posted 11/28/2012 1:33 PM (#600045 - in reply to #599877)

did u catch them inshore or offshore?
killroy
Posted 11/28/2012 9:26 PM (#600165 - in reply to #600045)

Bjayz12 - 11/28/2012 1:33 PM

did u catch them inshore or offshore?

Who, me? I caught the kings and Spanish from a pier. All those folks out there drifting alewives and crossing lines started getting on my nerves. I could cast that crank into the wind with 15 lb fluoro and SLASH that x-rap back. Turns out, that flash was all they needed. Caught more kings and the false albacore from a yak.
Tell you a trick. Take an openface bass rig with 10-12 lb line and tie on a three foot 20-30 lb fluoro leader with no snaps or swivels. Tie on a white feather crappie jig and throw it as far out toward Spanish as u can. Let it sink 15 feet and whip that rod tip up HARD reel down fast as u can and do it again. Something about that tiny jig and the super fast movement causes an incredible reaction strike from a Spanish. It will outfish any other Spanish rig if they are busting rain minnows around the pilings. U will have some cut off. We bought out three walmarts of white marabou jigs.
killroy
Posted 11/28/2012 9:29 PM (#600166 - in reply to #599787)

That was Navarre Fl. and Gulf Shores Al.
Mike D
Posted 11/30/2012 5:37 AM (#600458 - in reply to #599787)

I do alot of surf fishing for stripers as well as muskie. Always wanted to throw a black dawg out in the surf to see what would happen but have never done it yet. Stripers love black and love plastics but the size/dimensions are not consistent with native baitfish which is why I've never tried it.
Herb_b
Posted 12/3/2012 1:27 PM (#601271 - in reply to #599787)

I agree that saltwater fish and rather stupid and extremely easy to catch compared to Muskies. And gosh do those saltwater fish fight. I injured my left shoulder fighting a 40 lb Wahoo a couple of years ago. The first 5 minutes of the fight were fun. The last ten minutes - not so much. Another thing: While catching 20 Muskies in an entire year can be an accomplishment, it is not uncommon to catch that many good sized saltwater fish in a day. One gets into a big school of King Macs, Tuna, Cobia or Jacks and one can have non-stop action.

To answer the question of using Muskie lures for saltwater fish? I would say not. Overall, pound-per-pound saltwater fish prefer much smaller lures than Muskies. For instance, a 6 inch lure is all one needs for Tarpon that can reach up to 200 lbs. A Muskie lure, like a large crank bait, might work well for large fish like Marlin or Sharks, but one doesn't need a $25 lure for that. Just me, but I wouldn't use my expensive Muskie lures in saltwater. They are too big and less expensive lures designed for those fish species are readily available.

That said, I have had some good luck ocean fishing with Pike lures. Cuda, Cobia and King Macs like spoons and jigs just like Pike. It might sound dumb, but many saltwater fish will hit lures on figure-8s. Its kind of wild seeing fish come up in 50 ft of clear water and hit at boat-side. The main thing when using Pike lures is to have very strong hooks. They will turn over wimpy hooks in a heartbeat.
Chris
Posted 7/21/2013 5:58 PM (#652914 - in reply to #599787)

Where abouta are you from I live in fort myers and fish Hayward Wisconsin all summer for musky in the flowage if farmiliar with the area lol I was just thinking huh I have alot of musky plugs in this ok tackle box it might be time to cast a few in the canals for snook or reds. Thanks for the support it might work lol
ChadG
Posted 7/21/2013 6:47 PM (#652920 - in reply to #652914)

I would have loved to have had a reg dawg to throw at the gag grouper last month. I think we would have smoked them. The live bait thing was neat but I would rather toss baits at them.
Ben Olsen
Posted 7/21/2013 10:59 PM (#652954 - in reply to #599787)

Cobia love Medussas and tarpon love phantoms. Because of the resistance DCGs and even showgirls are tough to reel fast enough to catch 'cuda. The only strikes I've gotten are by reeling them across the surface without the blades spinning.
ChinWhiskers
Posted 7/22/2013 11:52 AM (#653014 - in reply to #652914)

Chris - 7/21/2013 6:58 PM

Where abouta are you from I live in fort myers and fish Hayward Wisconsin all summer for musky in the flowage if farmiliar with the area lol I was just thinking huh I have alot of musky plugs in this ok tackle box it might be time to cast a few in the canals for snook or reds. Thanks for the support it might work lol
You ever fish Lake Istokpoga for Bass. Marv.
detroithardcore
Posted 7/22/2013 3:26 PM (#653058 - in reply to #599787)

I've been experimenting with Muskie Baits for Saltwater fish.... Here's what will work..proven success off Captiva, Ft Meyers, Everglades:

1) Big Game 6-8" balsa cranks (jointed/straight) for Tarpon
2) Musky Innovations Shallow Invader for Tarpon
3) Hellhound/HellPuppy for Snook
4) Sebile Stick Shadd FSK-182 for Snook/Jacks
5) Bondy Bait for Snook and Grouper. You can jig it vertical if in deep water or cast off shore and work it off bottom.
6) Whopper Plopper or comparable prop bait for anything out there. They'll smash it!
7) Sebile Magic Swimmer for all species.

These are what I've caught fish on in Saltwater. Upgrade split rings and hooks. I prefer the Owner Hyperwire Rings and Owner 3X and 4X hooks. Your common Muskie hooks and rings will rust in a day or two even after washing up everything. Make sure to wash everything with clean water daily. Rods, reels, pliers, baits etc... The salt will destroy everything faster than you can blink!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)