Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Two Piece and Telescopic Rods

Message Subject: Two Piece and Telescopic Rods
dami0101
Posted 7/15/2013 12:16 PM (#651690)
Subject: Two Piece and Telescopic Rods

How do people feel about two piece and telescopic rods? Personally I can't stand two piece rods because they never seem to stay properly aligned and come apart at bad times. I'm looking at getting a 9 ft rod but fishing from a smaller boat means there really isn't a place for the rod to sit when not in use or towing the boat to and from the lake. I was looking at the TI telescopic rods but have a feeling that I'd still have the alignment issues of a two piece rod.
BenR
Posted 7/15/2013 12:26 PM (#651695 - in reply to #651690)
Subject: Re: Two Piece and Telescopic Rods

I have two custom two piece rods that work great, everything from muskie, tarpon, tuna, Dadson Rods made them for me and they are great. Have 9' and 8'6", high end muskie rods that I use for other things as well. Never had issues and travel so they work for me. BR
Ralidan
Posted 7/15/2013 12:47 PM (#651700 - in reply to #651690)
Subject: RE: Two Piece and Telescopic Rods

I have an okuma telescoping rod. I don't particularly like the rod, but it has nothing to do with the telescoping feature. The telescopic action is actually very nice. I've never had a problem with it moving while in use, and if you spend 5 seconds carefully aligning it when you first expand it, you can get it perfectly aligned. Certainly makes it fit in the truck better.

One thing i did notice about the TI rods, because i am looking at getting one myself, is that they are about 10% heavier than the solid blanks. 12.4 vs 13.8 oz i think
sworrall
Posted 7/15/2013 12:49 PM (#651701 - in reply to #651690)

Check these out. A new design that addresses your concerns and makes for a one piece action from a two piece rod.

New St. Croix Two Piece Muskie Rod

esoxaddict
Posted 7/15/2013 12:53 PM (#651704 - in reply to #651701)

I have the Okuma 8'6" XH Telescoping rod. It has collapsed on me and/or become misaligned throughout the course of a day. I've gotten used to checking it, so it's not a huge deal. But when an 8'6" rod doesn't fit in the truck and an 8' rod is too short, what else are you going to do??

jakejusa
Posted 7/15/2013 12:57 PM (#651706 - in reply to #651690)

wish all rod manf. would make their two piece rods with that design. let the blank retain it's natural action and ends up stiffning up the base of the rod. Power change. There are many situations where a two piece rod is the ticket. But in the past have always sacrificed the flat spot of the joint.
dami0101
Posted 7/15/2013 1:39 PM (#651723 - in reply to #651701)

sworrall - 7/15/2013 12:49 PM

Check these out. A new design that addresses your concerns and makes for a one piece action from a two piece rod.

I saw that when it was first posted and it's what got me thinking about this, but unless I missed, they didn't do anything to solve the issue of two piece rods becoming misaligned or coming apart.
Flambeauski
Posted 7/15/2013 1:51 PM (#651729 - in reply to #651690)

If assembled properly it shouldn't come apart or come out of alignment. There is a possiblity of that with a very well used rod or a cheap rod, a light coating of paraffin on the male end takes care of it.
BenR
Posted 7/15/2013 2:20 PM (#651736 - in reply to #651690)

The rods really do not twist very often, hardly at all actually. I get weeds on lures from time to time, but still use them. The few seconds it takes to clean the bait is not much trouble, far less than perhaps fixing a rod once a day. BR
FishingFool
Posted 7/15/2013 3:59 PM (#651761 - in reply to #651736)

I have used Tica telescoping rods and Okumas for many years and have yet to have one close on me. I use 8 and 8 1/2 footers,use dbl bucktails and mag dawgs mainly for lures. i have landed 55 1/2" sturgeon,( snaged by accident),with them... Like said before,align the rod before you cast and you will have no problems.
rjhyland
Posted 7/15/2013 5:07 PM (#651772 - in reply to #651690)

"I'm looking at getting a 9 ft rod but fishing from a smaller boat means there really isn't a place for the rod to sit when not in use or towing the boat to and from the lake."

I have both telescopic and 2 piece rods and based on your needs I would go with a telescopic. With a two piece if you dont break down your rod, meaning line and leader the rods are connected by 4 feet of line, out the bottom of one end to the top of the other end if you were to have the rods side by side. During transit they will bounce around and sometimes get tangled up or tangled on another piece of equipment. It's not a big issue but everyone has their "pet peeves".

A tele makes it simpler and almost takes the tangle aspect out of the picture.
Each style rod performes great with no issues, it just comes down to personal preference and what works best for you.

Ron
black_dawg
Posted 7/15/2013 8:37 PM (#651820 - in reply to #651690)

Not a single problem with myTI telescopic.
Musk E
Posted 7/15/2013 9:46 PM (#651834 - in reply to #651690)

I have a couple TI telescopics and have had no issues with them. And the customer service is fantastic.
Ray Fuller
Posted 7/16/2013 12:20 AM (#651850 - in reply to #651690)

No problems with my Okuma telescopic rods,never had one collapse or misalign while fishing.
BenR
Posted 7/16/2013 7:24 AM (#651858 - in reply to #651701)

Steve, did you get a chance to see the ratings on the new two piece rods? Where any of them up to casting pounders? Thanks, BR
NPike_Guy
Posted 7/16/2013 7:45 AM (#651862 - in reply to #651690)

I used an 8'6" telescoping Tica rod for a number of years with no problems. I bet the TI ones would be great if not better.
Flambeauski
Posted 7/16/2013 7:56 AM (#651865 - in reply to #651858)

BenR - 7/16/2013 7:24 AM

Steve, did you get a chance to see the ratings on the new two piece rods? Where any of them up to casting pounders? Thanks, BR

PM90XHF2 is rated 6-12, SC generally under rates their rods so I bet that one would be it.
Booch
Posted 7/16/2013 9:09 AM (#651884 - in reply to #651690)

I used and abused a 9' TI telescoping rod for 10 hrs a day, 7 days straight last year and didn't have a single glitch. I collapsed it every day for the walk back to camp. Love it so much, I bought another one for this years trip.

I was planning to buy a Shimano Compre telescoping rod on the way up (in Minn), but of the 6 they had on their rack none would retract. Some were telescoped up-side-down, too and couldn't be retracted. The worker just laughed about it, and of course I didn't buy one.
Flambeauski
Posted 7/16/2013 9:33 AM (#651889 - in reply to #651884)

Booch - 7/16/2013 9:09 AM

I used and abused a 9' TI telescoping rod for 10 hrs a day, 7 days straight last year and didn't have a single glitch. I collapsed it every day for the walk back to camp. Love it so much, I bought another one for this years trip.

I was planning to buy a Shimano Compre telescoping rod on the way up (in Minn), but of the 6 they had on their rack none would retract. Some were telescoped up-side-down, too and couldn't be retracted. The worker just laughed about it, and of course I didn't buy one.

those Compre's were true 2 piece rods, butt over tip design, and the reason they don't come apart is because people see them, think they're telescopic, and attempt to retract them by tapping them on the floor, and by doing so end up fusing them together beyond repair.
dami0101
Posted 7/16/2013 9:45 AM (#651891 - in reply to #651889)

Flambeauski - 7/16/2013 9:33 AM

those Compre's were true 2 piece rods, butt over tip design, and the reason they don't come apart is because people see them, think they're telescopic, and attempt to retract them by tapping them on the floor, and by doing so end up fusing them together beyond repair.

My brother in-law has one of the two piece Compre's, he's only used it once, and in a single day of fishing I pointed out 4 times that the rod wasn't aligned, who knows how many other times he noticed it himself. That's really what got me concerned about two piece rods, that and my experience with two piece spinners when I first started fishing as a kid.
Flambeauski
Posted 7/16/2013 10:25 AM (#651901 - in reply to #651690)

St. Croix has been using a similar ferrule design on surf rods for several years, my guess is that the muskie rod design will be as bullet proof, as far as alignment and strength is concerned.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 7/16/2013 10:54 AM (#651907 - in reply to #651690)

I travel to fish and use TI 2 pieces. The have held true for the 7 days I have dished with them for about 10 hours each. Add in using them to test new lures. Just make sure you align them and have them secure and they are good to go. There will always be some lemons, no matter the manufacturer. I do like St.Croix's new 2 piece concept.
curleytail
Posted 7/16/2013 11:24 AM (#651916 - in reply to #651690)

I've been using Okuma and TI telescopic rods for several years now and have no issue with the telescopic feature. I consider myself to be pretty detail oriented and have not noticed an issue with the rod/guide alignment. Maybe every now and then I tweak it, but if I do, it's insignificant.

The St. Croix 2 piece rods look cool. I like telescopic rods in that I can retract the rod, and reel the line up tight. With a two piece rod (like rjhyland pointed out), there are loose pieces to move, bounce, and tangle. The upside is I could fit a 9' 2 piece St Croix in my 7' rod locker, but nobody makes a 9' telescopic that will fit.

Either way, I think if you stick to a good brand - Tackle Industries, St. Croix, Okuma a telescopic or 2 piece rod will work well for you.

Tucker
Gobble!
Posted 7/16/2013 10:05 PM (#652036 - in reply to #651701)

They have my interest. Just wonder what the price tag will be.
Booch
Posted 7/17/2013 1:33 PM (#652196 - in reply to #651889)

Flambeauski - 7/16/2013 9:33 AM

Hmm.. guess that explains it. Last year I'd swear online it said "telescoping", and the rep at Cabelas told me they were that as well. Guess not, lol.
Flambeauski
Posted 7/17/2013 1:43 PM (#652200 - in reply to #651690)

When it comes to rodbuilding, Shimano makes great reels.
dami0101
Posted 7/17/2013 2:40 PM (#652228 - in reply to #652200)

Flambeauski - 7/17/2013 1:43 PM

When it comes to rodbuilding, Shimano makes great reels.

I see what you did there
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)