Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Get remote border crossing pass or not in Northwest Angle?

Message Subject: Get remote border crossing pass or not in Northwest Angle?
oly67
Posted 7/12/2013 7:40 AM (#651213)
Subject: Get remote border crossing pass or not in Northwest Angle?

We have been going to Sabaskong Bay for the last 12 years. Going to try the Angle area for the first time this September, at Walsh's Baystore Camp. Is getting the remote border crossing pass recommended or is stopping at Cyclone Island recommended. I have some of my guys whining about spending another 30 bucks for the pass. Please describe the process and length of time it takes to do whatever at Cyclone Island. What is the easiest way to get the RABC pass? Also Frank's website says there are excellent restaurants and lounges nearby. I assume these places are at nearby camps, how nearby in minutes or approximate miles, and how late do the serve food? Last question, are there any muskies at the Angle under 50", or all they all over 50"...............
Shep
Posted 7/12/2013 7:48 AM (#651217 - in reply to #651213)
Subject: RE: Get remote border crossing pass or not in Northwest Angle?

I always called in. Not too much of a hassle. Takes just a few minutes. By Wednesday, it gets quicker. RABC isn't worth it, IMO. If one in the boat doesn't have it, and the other does, you still have to call in for both. Just an FYI.

Can't offer advice about dining. Always ate a camp about 11:00 PM. Different guys fixed dinner each night, with the last night being a do your own steak night.

All sorts of sizes there, but a great opportunity for a 50+

Have a great trip.

whynot
Posted 7/12/2013 8:42 AM (#651229 - in reply to #651213)
Subject: Re: Get remote border crossing pass or not in Northwest Angle?

Get the RABC. If you're going in September you're going to have limited daylight hours to fish, why spend them driving and then possibly waiting to call in? The phone on Cyclone is about 50/50 as far as working. Lots of days I've been there it does not work, then you have to explain why you're calling in on a cell phone.

Plenty of muskies under 50"...good for the future. I just got back from 4 days of fishing over the 4th and there is definitely a healthy 25-32" population right now.
jonnysled
Posted 7/12/2013 8:42 AM (#651230 - in reply to #651213)

yes on the rabc
oly67
Posted 7/12/2013 8:44 AM (#651232 - in reply to #651217)

Do you have to call in twice, going in and coming out of Canada, each day?
oly67
Posted 7/12/2013 8:46 AM (#651233 - in reply to #651232)

What is the best way of getting the RABC? The last line about the muskies being only over 50" was intended to be a joke...........
jonnysled
Posted 7/12/2013 9:00 AM (#651234 - in reply to #651233)

been a few years since i was at lotw, but when i got the forms online. i believe i downloaded the forms and then sent it in. can't remember if you needed a new passport photo for the application or not (i think you do).

here is the application ...

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf386-eng.pd...

Edited by jonnysled 7/12/2013 9:18 AM
skid
Posted 7/12/2013 9:07 AM (#651236 - in reply to #651213)

You can buy a license on-line but the RABC needs a copy of you passport and needs to be done by mail (3 weeks +/-). Yes, you need to call twice a day, both directions but you do not need to call when you launch your boat at Youngs.
dougj
Posted 7/12/2013 9:28 AM (#651239 - in reply to #651213)

You do not need to call the US customs when returning from fishing in Canada. You only need to call Canadian customs when entering Canada. This changed around five years or so ago. They also seem to be more lenient and allow the use of cell phones (I-888-CANPASS). Cell reception at the Bay Store can be a little spotty.

You can get an RABC at Canadian Customs in Rainy River. I think their hours are 8:00-4:00 Tuesday-Saturday, but I would call them and check as they may change that during the summer months.

Doug Johnson

bigred2198
Posted 7/12/2013 10:20 AM (#651248 - in reply to #651213)

get the card. just got back
DonPursch
Posted 7/12/2013 10:30 AM (#651250 - in reply to #651248)

Take Douds advice
bigred2198
Posted 7/12/2013 11:02 AM (#651256 - in reply to #651213)

from the camp store Frank and luara are great!!
Shep
Posted 7/12/2013 11:42 AM (#651262 - in reply to #651256)

I got the RABC one year. My partner did not. So we had to call in each day for both of us anyway. Took less than 5 minutes including stopping, docking and calling. 

The next several years we didn't get the RABC. Always got through. Just have all your info on a sheet so it's handy for who ever calls in. Don't screw around. Just like going through the border stop. Just answer the questions, and don't volunteer anything. You don't have to call on your way back across.

Use the $30 on gas. Or better yet, beer! Good advice, eh?

Musky Brian
Posted 7/12/2013 12:40 PM (#651275 - in reply to #651262)

I have never had the RABC....and if you can't find someone with a working cell phone around you it is pain in the butt. As mentioned, the phone on Cyclone Island is at best 50-50 to work ( it was not working the last few weeks). You can also call in at Youngs Bay but that can be out of the way for where you want to go. If you can be assured that you or your partner has a working cell phone I would say skip it....if not, then I would suggest just getting the permit.

jonnysled
Posted 7/12/2013 4:26 PM (#651313 - in reply to #651213)

back a number of years ago we had a guy in the party without one and it was a pain in the butt. the good part tho was whomever was on the island either had a dog or there was a dog that was just "there" for the summer LOL. looked like the little terrier-cross from Little Orphan Annie. he was fun ... so much so i wish he'd jumped into the boat and adopted me. cool little pooch.
jdsplasher
Posted 7/12/2013 7:52 PM (#651337 - in reply to #651313)

We get a remote pass every year. Do it on line every spring
carl
Posted 7/12/2013 7:58 PM (#651338 - in reply to #651213)

This was the first year my fishing partner and myself have had the RABC - I'll definitely get one next year. Sure calling in might only take 5 minutes or so but it's a hassle when you just want to get out on the lake
Fishwizard
Posted 7/13/2013 7:28 PM (#651430 - in reply to #651213)

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/canpass/rabc-pfre/menu-eng.html

It is worth it in my opinion. I went without for several years, mostly because I would procrastinate and not get it ordered in time. But, as long as you get it at least a month before your trip and get everyone in your boat to gets one, it's worth the $30.

Sunset Lodge is a couple hundred yards down the shore from Frank's and has good food and a bar that is usually open pretty late. The traffic and any crowd will dictate how late they're open and serving. Also, Young's Bay has a restaurant but it is somewhat out of the way for most of your fishing paths. I believe Flag Island also serves food, but I've never been, so can't be certain. There are a couple other resorts with bars nearby as well, but if you're staying at Frank's Sunset will probably get most of your business, because of the convenience and it is a nice place.

As another option for quick easy meals, Frank has frozen pizzas for sale and nice pizza ovens he'll let you borrow.
often after a long day on the water quick and easy is better than gourmet. That's not to say that the pizza's aren't good, but they're pretty basic. Also, Frank has crock pots in most if not all the cabins, so get some premade slow-cooker meals and you'll be happy coming home to hot meals that all you have to do is serve up.

Sorry for the ramble, but just got back from there after a week of having had a guy who'd never been there do the grocery shopping and definitely paid the price for have to work around inconvenient meals. It can be a serious draw back in July to get back to the dock at 10:45pm and not eat until close to midnight.

Good luck and enjoy your trip. Frank will treat you right.

Ryan
oly67
Posted 7/13/2013 8:04 PM (#651436 - in reply to #651430)

Thanks for all the replies. All three of us in my boat will be getting the pass. Fishwizard, thanks for the info on Sunset Lodge, I am sure we will use them some nights. Looking forward to going to Baystore, heard nothing but good things.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)