Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> 4th of July on Leech

Message Subject: 4th of July on Leech
jaultman
Posted 6/19/2013 8:02 AM (#647378)
Subject: 4th of July on Leech

I'll be spending 1 to 3 days on Horseshoe bay of Leech around the 4th of July with family. I won't be able to fish long hours due to family stuff, but probably 3 - 4 hours at a time, early morning and after dark would be the easiest times to sneak away.

After reading some info on here and scouting on maps, I have some spots in mind to try, but I don't know what my range should be. That is, should I thoroughly cover one to three good-looking spots in one region, OR should I try to cover a multitude of different types of spots in totally different areas of the lake? I'm favoring the idea of just picking one locale to really learn and pick apart. Some people say there are fish nearly everywhere out there, so that gives me confidence that choosing one region to fish should be fine. What do you guys think?

If anyone wants to exchange PM's that would be awesome. Thanks.
NextBite
Posted 6/22/2013 10:58 AM (#647954 - in reply to #647378)
Subject: RE: 4th of July on Leech

I fished it over the 4th of July in 2011. I would check the water temp now and keep an eye on it. I fished around Pelican Island and a few large rocky points on my way to and from Walker Bay. Walker bay area seems pretty decent as well with all of the weed beds. I didn't follow the temps myself because I was really just starting into muskie fishing. Only had a couple years in but only get a few trips a season. The water temps jumped 10 degrees up to the high 70's to mid 80's on my drive up from Iowa and pretty much stayed there or got hotter. We caught a few pike shallow and decided to troll. We didn't take the temps in and trolled way to shallow. My guess is that the fish pushed off into the 30' depths to get cooler because we heard some guys catching them there the day after we returned home. I also seen some huge schools of baitfish in walker bay late at night being chased by larger arcs on screen. Never had a fish hit in there at night though. Good Luck
Masqui-ninja
Posted 6/24/2013 2:24 PM (#648254 - in reply to #647954)

I say try a variety of spots until something gets going. With that being said, if the wind blows I recommend keying on the most wind battered structures and weeds. Be willing to adjust your game plan, especially if the wind kicks up.
jaultman
Posted 6/27/2013 1:33 PM (#648932 - in reply to #648254)

Thanks for the responses you two, and to the others who sent PMs. I have way more options than time will allow to fish, so we'll see how good my decisions are.

Thanks again.
NextBite
Posted 6/29/2013 11:33 AM (#649233 - in reply to #648932)

A muskie fishing friend of mine, his uncle went up in early june and were pike and walleye fishing when they decided to try trolling a TI double #10 my buddy gave him. Before they went he tried to tell them to buy a heavier rod and line as well as a decent reel. Well something smashed it in walker bay and it went straight under the boat and completely spooled them and was gone in a flash.
jaultman
Posted 7/8/2013 7:08 AM (#650394 - in reply to #647378)

Not a whole lot to report.

I spent only about 10 hours fishing, half of that fishing solo and half with a partner. Had one mid-40's come out on a bucktail and go half way through the 8 off a rocky shoreline point, one lazy high 30's followed a phantom from a weed bed and another low 30's from the same weedbed took a swipe at a bucktail boatside but missed. Those were the only fish encountered other than bass and pike.

Obviously the lake is huge, just single spots are so huge that I couldn't even get a good feel for the two or three spots I fished in those 10 hours. I knew I wouldn't get much time, as it wasn't a musky trip but rather a very short family vacation. Still really happy I got to try at least a little and glad I was able to see a couple fish. It was just fun rolling over waves, working on boat control, casting at sweet structure, anticipating a giant.

Water temps were 70 - 75 depending on where I was and whether or not the wind was blowing. The weather was beautiful Thursday and Friday - sunny and "windy", and then Saturday was calmer, gloomy and raining. That's when I fished the most.

Thanks again to everyone who offered so much advice.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)