Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> N. Wisco ... Pre-Opener Situation

Message Subject: N. Wisco ... Pre-Opener Situation
jonnysled
Posted 5/22/2013 8:32 AM (#642597)
Subject: N. Wisco ... Pre-Opener Situation

It's been a Great Week of Fishing on Area Lakes with crappies feeding in the shallows outside spawning bays taken with small plastics or live-bait and pre-spawn Smallmouth Bass Fishing of World-Class proportions on cranks over gravel/rock shorelines and points!! Water Temps. on area lakes are climbing to active levels (MQA Chain @ 61 deg. Tuesday Night). very little weed growth so look for wood and any new weeds. we have a cold-front behind the storms this week with a frost-warning out for Thursday morning so pick your water carefully ... gonna be sweatshirt weather but skies should be clear.

Northwoods Chapter 61 Muskies Inc. is gearing up for its inaugural season! Stop in at The Musky Shop if you want club gear or membership information!! Safe Travels and Good Fishing to Everyone this Weekend!!

Edited by jonnysled 5/22/2013 8:35 AM
nwild
Posted 5/22/2013 8:53 AM (#642600 - in reply to #642597)
Subject: RE: N. Wisco ... Pre-Opener Situation

Should be a way more typical opener than the last several have been. Twitch baits and small gliders and jerkbaits should be the ticket, rather than the full size bucktails and topwater of the last several years.

Most areas should be post spawn, but not summerlike yet. I like being able to fish the whole progression of the season.
Flambeauski
Posted 5/22/2013 9:05 AM (#642604 - in reply to #642597)
Subject: Re: N. Wisco ... Pre-Opener Situation

I'm gonna go out on limb and say jig and minnow will account for more muskies this weekend than any other bait. By a lot.
CiscoKid
Posted 5/22/2013 9:21 AM (#642609 - in reply to #642597)

From what I saw last weekend in Vilas. On the deeper, clearer lakes the muskies will probably be spawning or just finishing which means you may have to target the males due to the females recuperating. The lakes I fished, for walleyes, smallmouth, and muskies, were between 45-51°. Muskies were just starting to come up shallow on one lake, while on the other they were still out in deep water with none sighted shallow while targeting walleye. In fact we were finding lots of male walleyes still milking, and the females were out deep not spawned out yet.

The smallmouth fishing was spectacular. Very large X-Raps were the most productive. In fact the smallies didn’t even want to touch the smaller versions, but hammered the large version. Working them erratically and then pausing for a long time was key. The smallmouth we found were all on deep breaking shorelines. Could not get a sniff on the shallow flats yet which was not unexpected considering water temps.

I agree with Norm it will be nice to have a typical opener again.
jonnysled
Posted 5/22/2013 9:26 AM (#642613 - in reply to #642597)

Good Point Travis ... there is a pretty significant "difference" between Minocqua and Presque Isle right now and fish are at varying stages depending on water clarity, size, depth. Great to be back to a true varied water progression to "hit" the bit progressively.

i pick a late spring every year too.
Northwind Mark
Posted 5/22/2013 9:27 AM (#642614 - in reply to #642597)

Great reports gentlemen....Thanks.
sworrall
Posted 5/22/2013 9:35 AM (#642621 - in reply to #642597)

We've been fishing Pike and Crappies on several Oneida County waters the last few days and have seen muskies spawning in pretty good numbers. The smaller dark water lakes are a few days ahead of the larger deeper lakes, but not by much. Typical opener from the past for once.
smbrickner
Posted 5/22/2013 10:08 AM (#642626 - in reply to #642621)

I am hitting the Wausau area for the opener. I was bass fishing on the Mosinee Flowage last weekend and water was 61 degrees. So I am thinking I will have on a Suick, Double 8, the largest Clacking Rap I have, and either a Muskie Freak topwater or a Shallow Raider.
Seems like the water in my area is warmer than up north so I should be able to fish a little bigger and faster.
ToddM
Posted 5/22/2013 1:24 PM (#642659 - in reply to #642597)

plans literally came together last night. headed to hayward have not been in 11 years.
dfkiii
Posted 5/22/2013 1:33 PM (#642661 - in reply to #642659)

I thought for sure you'd be hitting the Fox chain ! Good luck out there.

ToddM - 5/22/2013 1:24 PM

plans literally came together last night. headed to hayward have not been in 11 years.
jonnysled
Posted 5/22/2013 9:29 PM (#642736 - in reply to #642597)

post frontal cold and rain today with north-northeast winds ... smallies still chowin' ... caught an incidental musky, a walleye and some good bass with one piggy. tonight was blowin' hard with a cold rain and slowed down a bit with water temps. holding high 50's. frost warning overnight then the clear out post-frontal weekend starts.
goose007us
Posted 5/27/2013 12:12 AM (#643409 - in reply to #642597)

Any luck this weekend guys?
wicked
Posted 5/27/2013 8:43 AM (#643441 - in reply to #642597)

The kids and I netted 5 and saw several others also lost one. Three outa four were in the eight for me. Theyre coming in late and low just nipping.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)