Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> New Lowrance HDS

Message Subject: New Lowrance HDS
4amuskie
Posted 3/22/2013 3:58 PM (#629036 - in reply to #629030)
Subject: RE: New Lowrance HDS

The 112 and 113 have Ethernet ports and will share sonar, waypoints ect with an HDS. They will not share structure however. Anything older will only share waypoints via NMEA 0183 or 2000, however waypoints are only shared when they are entered. If you have a older unit with waypoints already on it the only way you can transfer them is to download them to a chip and upload them from the chip to the second unit.
The HDS units share via Ethernet and all that is needed is to plug the Ethernet between the 2. HDS units share everything except trails and maps.
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/22/2013 4:21 PM (#629042 - in reply to #629036)

4amuskie - 3/22/2013 3:58 PM The 112 and 113 have Ethernet ports and will share sonar, waypoints ect with an HDS. They will not share structure however. Anything older will only share waypoints via NMEA 0183 or 2000, however waypoints are only shared when they are entered. If you have a older unit with waypoints already on it the only way you can transfer them is to download them to a chip and upload them from the chip to the second unit. The HDS units share via Ethernet and all that is needed is to plug the Ethernet between the 2. HDS units share everything except trails and maps.

It's been a while but I’d guess that after getting everything hooked up I thought that the icons from the 113 would automatically transfer to the HDS and vice versa. After being told  they would not share back then, (I was not happy) I remember having to convert the 113 icons on a website so that the HDS would accept them, and then I just moved on from there by entering the waypoints in the linked helm or bow HDS units.

I'll have to play around with it some more, and this may change how I use and configure my boats electronics for this year. Thanks!  

4amuskie
Posted 3/22/2013 5:35 PM (#629052 - in reply to #629042)

Jerry, The icons do transfer but you need to download them to a chip and upload them on HDS. The formats are different but the HDS will recognize them all. If you transferred to a LMS or LCX from the HDS you would need the appropriate format.
Icons or waypoints are not transferred on the NMEA system. Only Ethernet. They are shared at time of entry via NMEA. A lot of this info is on Lowrances website or via our friend Google.
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/23/2013 12:16 PM (#629189 - in reply to #629052)

Okay, I got this covered then because my main problem was the “saved” icons (bingo... some of them date back to the X-15) and the only way I could access them with the HDS units was by converting them online. My situation is somewhat unique in that I do a lot of fishing using those saved icons, and hate the converted icons when they become numbered waypoints... maybe you figured out a way to get rid of the way-point numbers, but I couldn't. 

After reevaluating, it really doesn't matter to my somewhat unique situation because I'm pretty comfortable having the two units at the helm now with the 113 handling the 2d sonar/navigation, and the HDS handling the 3d down/side scan & weather. If I decide to cast using the old icons, it’s easy to putt through the area with the bow unit on recording a different color trail.

Anyway, thanks for explaining this Jim, you're a wealth of information on several fronts… pretty hard to believe it's been almost 20 years since we last talked in person in Pack Bay. Where does the time go?

4amuskie
Posted 3/23/2013 7:20 PM (#629267 - in reply to #629189)

It goes fast Jerry that's for sure. I am not sure about this but I have just purchased insight planner from Lowrance and you can manage all your waypoints and Icons on it. Also can put 2010 and up year Navionics maps and some other stuff. Might be worth looking into for messing with your waypoints, routes, and trails. Navionics has a program too and you can also go on EASYGPS and do it. Check it out while your waiting for open water
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/25/2013 9:20 AM (#629561 - in reply to #629267)

I'd like to have my boats electronics be the latest/greatest but learning and keeping up with it starts to become more work than play sometimes eh'. Oh, and let's not forget about the $... yikes, over 3k for that 12" screen ain't happening here!

I'll have to take a peek at that software, then maybe I'll start a different thread with more questions than answers.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)