Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> NPAA Legislative Alert; Potential State Ban on Soft Plastic Lures

Message Subject: NPAA Legislative Alert; Potential State Ban on Soft Plastic Lures
Junkman
Posted 2/14/2013 3:50 PM (#617564 - in reply to #617559)
Subject: Re: NPAA Legislative Alert; Potential State Ban on Soft Plastic Lures

I singed the petition, and got the thank you note back for doing so. I belive you really have to keep up with stuff like this. When anglers agree and work together to achieve common goals, we can be a fearsome bloc. Marty Forman
Imobley
Posted 2/14/2013 7:19 PM (#617601 - in reply to #617440)

Def. read the report doesn't change that the concern is warranted, I completely disagree with the proposed legislation it's too broad, and their has been no real study on wild fish. i spoke with a old friend who is retired state biologist (i will try to have him post on here soon) from Maine and he stated that they've had a concern about plastic lures for some time especially with stocked fish that have been raised on pellets that they pick up off the bottom of tanks. Also remember there was a time the public opposed steal shot for migratory birds.
catchandrelease
Posted 2/14/2013 8:03 PM (#617613 - in reply to #617440)

Not to be a cynic, but is there any consequential threat to signing the petition? I don't mind putting my name out there in opposition, but I would hate for it to have a negative impact on myself or others down the road. One of my main sources of concern stems from the requirement to list one's state and zip code on the petition.

I know this isn't the first instance where legislation and petitions have come about within the sport. I'm just curious what about the protocol and what (if any) long term consequences have arisen.
sworrall
Posted 2/14/2013 8:10 PM (#617616 - in reply to #617440)

Negative? No. None at all.

Pointerpride102
Posted 2/14/2013 8:19 PM (#617618 - in reply to #617558)

TC MUSKIE - 2/14/2013 2:35 PM

Seems like better regulations to keep another AIS like Asian carp from entering our country would be a better way to spend our time. AIS will change fish and ecosystems more than soft plastics ever will...

Some of us are trying!
Posted 2/14/2013 8:23 PM (#617619 - in reply to #617440)
Subject: RE: NPAA Legislative Alert; Potential State Ban on Soft Plastic Lures

sounds like fishermen need to do a better job cleaning up after themselves.
Top H2O
Posted 2/14/2013 8:52 PM (#617632 - in reply to #617613)

catchandrelease - 2/14/2013 8:03 PM

Not to be a cynic, but is there any consequential threat to signing the petition? I don't mind putting my name out there in opposition, but I would hate for it to have a negative impact on myself or others down the road. One of my main sources of concern stems from the requirement to list one's state and zip code on the petition.

I know this isn't the first instance where legislation and petitions have come about within the sport. I'm just curious what about the protocol and what (if any) long term consequences have arisen.

Are you serious? This legislation is Crap ! Why are you so paranoid ?
catchandrelease
Posted 2/14/2013 9:05 PM (#617635 - in reply to #617632)

I don't want my comment to be misconstrued; I strongly disagree with the legislation itself. I just don't want speaking out to yield a course of action that has more of a direct impact on myself or others in my area in the future. I don't disagree that I'm being paranoid, but I feel it's justified.
Slimeduptuffy
Posted 2/15/2013 7:44 AM (#617672 - in reply to #617482)

Moltisanti - 2/14/2013 11:54 AM

I bet the concerned citizens and politicians involved couldn't build a decent campfire if you gave them the wood, kindling and a burning torch. But they are here to save the planet.

X2
Beaver
Posted 2/17/2013 9:39 PM (#618201 - in reply to #617559)

What's next? No matter what we do, how careful we are, seems we are always causing problems.
Ebenezer
Posted 2/18/2013 12:00 PM (#618303 - in reply to #618201)

That thought, Beav, seems essential to the human condition.
Jono
Posted 2/18/2013 6:09 PM (#618394 - in reply to #617440)

Looks like they are trying to take the bird issue to the fish in an effort to stop fishing with plastics and I would imagine someone would use it as a spring board to try the same approach on other types of lures/presenations.

Bird eats plastic, and doesn't digest it. The plastic fills its belly and eventually there is no room for anything nutritious. Bird dies.

http://www.businessinsider.com/photos-dead-birds-filled-with-plasti...

Seems a little overboard to apply to fish in a natural environment. Agree that in a lab, the opportunity is higher. Maybe biodegradable is better but I hardly see this as an extremely serious problem requiring a ban. Did they show where this is happening in nature?

Jono
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)