Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> trolling small minnow baits

Message Subject: trolling small minnow baits
muddymusky
Posted 1/11/2013 2:06 PM (#609095)
Subject: trolling small minnow baits

Anyone have much luck trolling smaller crank baits like 6" jakes and grandmas or baby shallow raiders (or similar lures)? I don't seem to have much luck with these smaller minnow baits at clips of 3.5 - 5 mph. They seem to not stay down and blow out even after tuning. Any suggestions?
muddymusky
Posted 1/12/2013 8:53 PM (#609316 - in reply to #609095)
Subject: RE: trolling small minnow baits

Thanks cave run, I guess I will keep messing with these small minnow baits. If anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know.
bisonthunder
Posted 1/13/2013 5:54 PM (#609475 - in reply to #609095)

Caught one on a krave jr when nothing was hitting the big stuff. Never hurts to have something different out.
jabird
Posted 1/13/2013 6:43 PM (#609479 - in reply to #609095)

I rarely fish the smaller baits you mentioned but when I have tried I get the same results as you have. I think my heavy rod, line and terminal tackle was at least partially to blame. In the future I will downsize to lighter gear for trolling those baits and I think that will help.
brmusky
Posted 1/14/2013 9:53 AM (#609601 - in reply to #609095)
Subject: Re: trolling small minnow baits

I had problems getting a 6" jake and a 6" grandma to troll true so I put one on a walleye rod with 8 lb. mono line and tied direct to the lure just to see what it would do - it ran just fine at 4 mph. The lure was in tune but the leaders and line I was using were too heavy and throwing the lure off.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)