Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Newb... courtesy?

Message Subject: Newb... courtesy?
Gasman
Posted 12/15/2012 10:08 AM (#603584)
Subject: Newb... courtesy?

Hey all... just sayin' hi. I am new (sorta) to the board... have read plenty of posts during internet searches, so I figured its finally time to sign up and join the conversation. I am pretty new to ski fishing too... did it before, but now that I am serious about this addiction, realize that before, I was just fishing.

I live in PA and fish the mid-atlantic...

Batteries are chargin' and it looks like I am gonna sneak the rig out for a few hours this afternoon on the off chance I can raise a fish from its cold water slumber!

My post is directed toward courtesy... I know that ski guys are a tight-lipped crowd... being careful about how they even take pictures, so as not to give up any secrets. THat being said, what are some the more important things for me to know about being courteous to my fellow anglers... from where and how close to fish, all the way up to how much info to share/not share? I have a tremendous mentor who has started me well, but I was just curious about different thoughts on this? There may even be a post in this regards already, so feel free to direct me!

THanks all and glad to finally be on the board!

TC MUSKIE
Posted 12/15/2012 10:49 AM (#603591 - in reply to #603584)
Subject: Re: Newb... courtesy?

Seems like everyone has a different idea of what's right to do and you'll probably always pee someone off regardless ha.

Edited by TC MUSKIE 12/15/2012 10:51 AM
horsehunter
Posted 12/15/2012 10:57 AM (#603593 - in reply to #603584)

If someone shows you an out of the way fishing location particularly on small water it's up to them to share it with others if they so choose (not you)
sworrall
Posted 12/15/2012 10:57 AM (#603594 - in reply to #603584)

I share lots of information. Has been fine so far, and the favor is returned. Give another boat at least 50 yards. I like 100, but I live where there's not a lot of pressure. Never jump in front of another boat, which means you need to watch them a bit to see where they are headed.

Acknowledge your fellow anglers...even perch fishermen, with a wave or a tip of the hat. Be as courteous as is possible, and enjoy the sport!
Top H2O
Posted 12/15/2012 3:43 PM (#603640 - in reply to #603594)

1) Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.

2) What so ever you sow, you you will reap.

So be kind, and play nice with others.......Enjoy your new addiction.
T_Peterzen55
Posted 12/15/2012 3:57 PM (#603643 - in reply to #603640)

With the popularity in this sport rising, you run into more and more people with "questionable" ethics. Especially if you fish the popular waters, you will soon learn what is right and wrong. What you want to share is totally up to you. For myself, I am really cautious about who I tell things to. Everyone can understand where I am coming from, we all have wished we hadn't shared a certain piece of information. Muskie fishing is tough, and yes its nice to get credit when you find something cool, but at the same time it is nice to have something for yourself to enjoy. I'm always willing to help people out and give general information to increase their chance at success. Ill give types of structure, but you wont get a waypoint out of me unless your in my boat As far as being to close to other fisherman, its a type of situation you have to judge each time you see it. If someone is working a weedline and it is clear they are going to fish the whole thing, stay back and fish behind them, no need to jump ahead of them 100 yards in front. You can catch fish behind them, I've seen in done countless times. Long story short and I'm sure people can agree....there are PLENTY of space on the lake that hold fish, this is a fun hobby and sometimes jealousy gets the best of us. Just my .2 Cents

Edited by T_Peterzen55 12/15/2012 3:59 PM
Gasman
Posted 12/15/2012 5:25 PM (#603649 - in reply to #603584)

All great advice... thanks! I have to admit I was a bit surprised at the space comments... usually on a given body of water, if I see a boat on a point, bay, weedline, or working a hole, I go somewhere else completely. I will usually come back and hit those spots later. That being said, I am pretty new and haven't fished heavily pressured areas yet, so my 'comfort zone' may change.

TC... I hear ya! Someone always seems to be getting their britches in a bunch, even when you try to be courteous.

All that being said, I love to share info with my trusted friends. But having been burnt by some duckin' "buds", I now keep a tighter lip.
killroy
Posted 12/15/2012 6:26 PM (#603657 - in reply to #603584)

Diddo on the space thing. I know a guy who will cut you off if he knows you are on a hot fish. It is not cool. And give a guy in a canoe or yak the same kind of space. He has it hard enough as is. Lots of good info on here. I haven't been posting long, but I ghosted for a while. Welcome and good luck!!
catchandrelease
Posted 12/16/2012 11:41 AM (#603730 - in reply to #603584)

My suggestion for courtesy and fishing in PA is to just go with the flow. There are lots of anglers and little water. Toss in the fact that most lakes are trolling motor only and you've got a problem. It's not practical to run to a completely different part of the lake, so you just have to do your best with what you have. No matter what you do it is inevitable that you'll end up cutting someone off and someone will cut you off. It used to really bother me, but now I just go where I want to go while trying to be rude to anyone else.
North of 8
Posted 12/16/2012 11:51 AM (#603731 - in reply to #603584)
Subject: RE: Newb... courtesy?

Use common sense, remember, the lake belongs to everyone not just musky fishermen. We have a little cottage on a chain with muskies and for the most part not much pressure. Yet I have seen some really rude behavior, including by fishermen. Last year there was a boat with two guys muskie firshing and they were set up right next to a narrow channel. A pontoon boat, moving very slowly came through the channel and these two start making rude gestures toward the couple in the pontoon. Now, keep in mind that if the folks in the pontoon wanted to go from one lake to the other, they had no choice, they had to be where they were. All they could do was go slow. But the clowns who were fishing acted like it was huge violation of their space. Dumb is dumb, whether it is a rude jet skiier or a rude fisherman.
sworrall
Posted 12/16/2012 11:58 AM (#603734 - in reply to #603584)

North of 8,
Spot on.
esoxaddict
Posted 12/16/2012 1:58 PM (#603759 - in reply to #603584)

As far as what to disclose? There are few secrets in muskie fishing. There are no secret spots on popular lakes. There are no secret lures. I will do what I can to help someone, even as far as telling a stranger at the landing where we saw a big fish, and what lures we were throwing at the time. There have been a great many anglers who have helped me out over the years, and it's only right to return the favor.

That said, there are some things that are sacred. We fish a few small (less than 500 acres) lakes up North that we often have to ourselves. The quality of fish is surprising. Out of respect for the people who told me about those lakes, the fish in them, and the fact that there ARE still places you can go that are realtively unknown, those lake names do not get mentioned.
The Swan
Posted 12/17/2012 10:06 AM (#603912 - in reply to #603584)

Golden Rule. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 12/17/2012 10:14 AM (#603914 - in reply to #603584)

I can't even tell my own father about where I'm fishing! It gets out too quick. I'll tell any method I use though. Lake names are always a secret to anyone outside of my small circle. I even have a couple of secrets from them...

Distance? I'm pretty territorial but fishing the same small structure as someone else is a no no. Very long weedlines can be an exception.

Edited by Kirby Budrow 12/17/2012 10:17 AM
lhprop1
Posted 12/18/2012 10:49 AM (#604112 - in reply to #603584)

sworrall - 12/15/2012 10:57 AM
Acknowledge your fellow anglers...even perch fishermen,

Even the bass guys?
Ja Rule
Posted 12/18/2012 11:26 AM (#604121 - in reply to #604112)

lhprop1 - 12/18/2012 10:49 AM

sworrall - 12/15/2012 10:57 AM
Acknowledge your fellow anglers...even perch fishermen,

Even the bass guys?

Yup, why not? If anything these guys more than most important to be nice to. In my area the bass guys catch a lot of "accidental" muskies. If they have a negative view of musky fishing and fisherman (which some do) then they may be more likely to kill one of these fish or keep it. The way I look at it I like the people bass fishing because thats just one less guy musky fishing for me to compete with!

Edited by Ja Rule 12/18/2012 11:27 AM
Brian
Posted 12/18/2012 1:12 PM (#604143 - in reply to #603584)

Here some things to consider:

- If you pull up to a spot, check to see if another boat is working their way towards you. If so, they feel ownership of that route. If you stay and fish they will feel like you "cut them off."
- Most fishermen are willing to freely share/discuss lures--type, color, size, retrieve, etc...
- Most fishermen are willing to discuss equipment and general lake patterns (weed bite vs. rock bite).
- Most fishermen are not willing to share/discuss specific spots. So, they may tell you that they caught a fish on an "isolated weed patch on a rock hump off a wind blown point". But, they won't tell you that it was the one, "50 feet east of the red brick house on Partridge point with a southwest wind." On larger lakes, you are more likely to share location detail than smaller ones.

Brian
Stan Durst 1
Posted 12/20/2012 1:57 PM (#604493 - in reply to #604143)

What Steve Worrall said plus may you do very well and welcome aboard a great web site
Rick Wolff
Posted 12/20/2012 3:23 PM (#604516 - in reply to #604143)

I think people should reconsider what they think a (spot is) every conceivable area is a (spot) at one time or another during the fishing season.....caught several big fish this fall off areas that no one would look at.... but other factors contributed to the fish location.... be a leader not a follower....never trolled a spot this fall that had a summer marker buoy....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)