Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fish for a Living

Message Subject: Fish for a Living
muskellunged
Posted 12/4/2012 10:14 PM (#601570 - in reply to #601123)
Subject: Re: Fish for a Living

sworrall - 12/2/2012 9:12 PM Been in the business one way or another since 1976. I'm co-owner here, and LOVE my job. Go to the News tab on this page and read the Dave Landahl OutdoorsFIRST articles 'So You Want To Be A Pro Angler' from part one to part five. Good start in understanding what it takes.

Very enlightening series of articles.  Hats off to Mr. Landahl and Outdoorsfirst!

MuskieFever
Posted 12/5/2012 12:48 AM (#601587 - in reply to #601116)

Keep the input flowing here, some quality information so far. As far as losing desire to enjoy the outdoors because of work; I have been told this by many. This is also the reason why I cannot decide between animal studies or fish. Both interest me highly. It seems to me that those in the fishing business that are the most successful seem to have a combination of tv, tournaments, lure making, and writing. Take the Linder family for example. They make a lure and video for just about every species you can think of; you see their name on everything and they promote a lot of companies. However, I do realize how much work they have to put in to cover all of their bases.
sworrall
Posted 12/5/2012 8:18 AM (#601596 - in reply to #601587)

The Lindner's core business has been Media since they founded In Fisherman. It still is, but they don't do much print any more. Lindner Media is one of the top TV production companies in the Mid West and their TV show is a popular one, but not as powerful as In Fish once was due to cable/satellite TV. Billy is a sought after photographer, and his work carries a signature 'look' that's unmistakable.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(jpeg0.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments jpeg0.jpg (158KB - 91 downloads)
Junkman
Posted 12/5/2012 8:44 AM (#601599 - in reply to #601596)

There is an old adage that applies to what it takes to make a million dollars in whatever business happens to also be your hobby. It goes something like, "Start with TWO million!" There is also a comparrison to those who try and the lyrics of a country&western song. You lose your wife, your house, your truck and your dog (kids too sometimes.) I have fished as a co-angler on the bass circuits enough times to meet the guys who are sleeping in their trucks, eating out of a peanut butter jar and dodging child support payments. I have also fished with the guys on the major "teams" who have more or less, made it to the big leagues and seem to be "living the dream!" Now over Sixty years old, I look back at all the folks who tried to follow their dreams, and guys like me who sort of sold out to the "establishment." My advice is, "Go ahead and follow your dreams." The world has enough old men full of regrets that they didn't!" If possible, however, do it before you mix that up with becoming somebody's dad! Just my two cents!
Posted 12/9/2012 12:21 AM (#602332 - in reply to #601173)

IAJustin - 12/3/2012 7:05 AM

get your masters and be a college professor, teach fisheries and wildlife. Have your summers off to fish or own a business (different than being self-employed) and have the right pieces in place, allowing you to leave for extended periods. It takes a lot of time and money and getting in the "industry" is most likely going to give you very little of both.

The above is some sound advice.
Here's my two cents...
Everyone's reply seems to be go and get a lucrative job so you can afford to do what you love. A CPA, Professor, Company exec., ext... I don't want to discourage that route in any way but just point out that a lucrative job is going to take a good education and at least 10-15 years of solid 100 percent dedication. So if you decide to go that route be ready to put your nose down,study and work hard. If you do so and are committed it will pay off.
If you enjoy your fisheries studies and could seriously see yourself working in a field that's more of a hobby to you then by all means go for it (that's what I choose). But keep in mind a few important things....
Your young ( I'm only 27 so I just went through your phase in life about 7 years ago), which means your going to evolve as a person a hell of a lot over the next few years. What you think you would like to do for a career now may be completely different in a few years.
If you decide to stick with the fisheries route I would highly suggest getting a minor in something else that peaks your interest (or at least take some classes to learn it and network). I would highly suggest taking some buisiness classes as you can do about anything with a buisiness degree. And even if you don't get a buisiness degree the knowledge could be good to fall back on (starting your own buisiness, managing your money,ext..).

I'll close with this,
Doing something I thouroghly enjoyed for a living was my number one priority when I was 22 years old. I do love my job but it was not a very lucrative job. So just within the last three months I left my job and started my own company in my field of work. I'm doing a little better now than just "working for the man", but hopefully through hard work and making good decisions it will pay off.
I guess to make my point short it would be to go get what you want but keep your ideas, education, and options open (don't through all your eggs in one basket).

"Buy the ticket, take the ride"
Hunter S. Thompson
muskie24/7
Posted 12/9/2012 11:06 AM (#602354 - in reply to #602332)

When it all boils down, You take a perfectly good/fun hobby and turn it into a J- O -B!
sworrall
Posted 12/9/2012 3:52 PM (#602453 - in reply to #601116)

It's my 'J-O-B' and I love it. I have to shoot 40 videos this winter, for our clients. Seriously....I am getting paid to go fishing?

Cool.
Posted 12/10/2012 2:28 PM (#602698 - in reply to #601116)
Subject: RE: Fish for a Living

If you are going to go into fisheries wildlife, I have one piece of advice for you. GIS, GIS, GIS. Get a minor or second major in Geography and concentrate on the GIS mapping side of it. I have a feeling that you are probably already required to take some sort of GIS class in wildlife, but if you want to make yourself stand out amongst the crowd take every single GIS class that your college has available. Not only can it be a backup career in itself, but every agency wants canidates that know how to use Arc 3.3, ArcGIS 9.x, and know it well. And if you really want to make yourself stand out learn some of the computer programming to go along with it. I know that no one goes into wildlife or geography, and is interested in computer programming, but having the ability to write your own scripts is a huge advantage. I was lucky enough to get into the industry without having to know a great deal about programming, but I wish I did. As much as I hate code the GIS guys that can also program are the ones who can really make big bucks, and get the job that they want!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)