Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Winterizing - Necessary??

Reply New post
Message Subject: Winterizing - Necessary??
Esox65
Posted 11/18/2012 7:44 PM (#598518)
Subject: Winterizing - Necessary??

I have an 08 115 Opti and an 08 9.9 kicker.

I will be calling it quits for the year pretty soon, Hope to have the boat back out mid march or early april.

How necessary is it to winterize both of these engines? The Opti all that gets done I believe is some oil squirted in the pistons and an oil change in the LU. Same with the kicker but it also gets fogged....which generally leads to fouled carbs early the next season if I forget to run a little extra Seafoam in the first tank of gas.

So its gonna sit for 3 maybe four months...can I wait change the lower unit oil and oil in the kicker in the spring, and not worry about it in the next couple weeks, and just fish instead?

Thanks
Shep
Posted 11/19/2012 12:49 PM (#598611 - in reply to #598518)
Subject: Re: Winterizing - Necessary??

Oil in the cylinders of the Opti does nothing, except possibly foul plugs next spring. I wouldn't worry about fogging the kicker, either. These things are not layed up that long.

Is the boat going to stored in the freezing cold? If so, I would not wait to change/check the lower unit lube on either motor. What if there is some water in there? It freezes, and you have big problems. Change it now and rest easy.

Run a good dose of blue Marine Stabil in your last tank of fuel. Also, Merc KwikClean or Seafoam year round.

Edited by Shep 11/21/2012 11:19 AM
hunter991
Posted 11/20/2012 12:53 PM (#598782 - in reply to #598518)
Subject: Re: Winterizing - Necessary??

run stabilizer, change the oil and filter in a 4s and change the lower unit just in case water got in. That's what i would do for 3 months of storage. I dont' see a reason to fog.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)