Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Split Grip vs. Straight Grip

Message Subject: Split Grip vs. Straight Grip
backdraft
Posted 10/22/2012 5:43 PM (#592544)
Subject: Split Grip vs. Straight Grip

So what is the difference? Weight doesn't seem to be a factor because many of the rods are very close in weight. Sensitivity - is that really necessary.

I would like to give one a try but I don't want to end up with an expensive tomato stake.

Any options on Split Grip vs. "Traditional" straight grip?

Backdraft
jasonvkop
Posted 10/22/2012 5:51 PM (#592550 - in reply to #592544)
Subject: Re: Split Grip vs. Straight Grip

Just personal preference. I'm liking the split grip more and more, but still have full grip rods as well.
MuskyNate27
Posted 10/22/2012 5:54 PM (#592552 - in reply to #592544)

Personsal preference... I have a few mojo rods with the split grips, and really like them. I would still want full cork on the rods I throw rubber with tho.
5th lake Brad
Posted 10/22/2012 5:59 PM (#592554 - in reply to #592544)

As mentioned, if you rip and jerk big rubber , the split grip hurts the ribs after a while. For everything else split grip is awesome.
andym7
Posted 10/22/2012 6:49 PM (#592566 - in reply to #592544)
Subject: RE: Split Grip vs. Straight Grip

I second the above post. Ripping big rubber w split grip hurts the ribs, not in fall though when u have a few layers on. Easy to cast though by having one hand on the very butt of a split grip
esoxaddict
Posted 10/22/2012 7:16 PM (#592573 - in reply to #592544)

I might get used to a split grip after a while, but I have tried a few and I don't like them. Too many of my favorite presentations require jerking and ripping and pulling lures for a split grip to work for me. And for casting, I've found that the tiny little grip on the ass end of the split grip rods isn't enough and it isn't in the right place. Ease of casting? Like I said, I might get used to it if I had to. Some guys love them. I am not one of them. If I were you, I'd try to find someone who has one and fish with it for a day or two before I made a decision.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)