Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Waconia

Message Subject: Waconia
nocturnalmotors
Posted 8/22/2012 8:35 AM (#580085)
Subject: Waconia

Never been on the lake. Any tips? Morning? Night? I assume the landing is a zoo on the weekends?
asteffes
Posted 8/22/2012 9:08 AM (#580096 - in reply to #580085)
Subject: RE: Waconia

Waconia is my favorite lake, however, I have been challenged more and more out there over the past three years.

Due to the high water temps I have not been out fishing in over a month and a half, but you are correct, typically there is a lot of pressure out there, especially on the weekends.

There is a public landing on the NE corner of the lake, but you also have options of putting in on the south side at Mase's Marina ($10 fee on weekends), but they are great people and always willing to help out. Is is a very nice landing as well. You can also try your luck putting in at Lola's Lakehouse which used to be the Boathouse. There is a ramp there as well, but you need to hope that there is parking available on the street and this is very limited.

As far as fishing is concerned, I truly believe that this lake is not as good as it once was, but that does not mean that you cannot have great days out there and there are definitely still big fish to be had. Living in the West Metro I have looked to Tonka and Independence a little more than I once did, but Waconia still is special to me as that is where I really honed my muskie fishing skills and truly developed a love and appreciation for the sport.

If you go there, you will find that the water clarity this time is year is pretty poor. Due to high temps and boat traffic etc......the lake will be pretty churned up. Come mid-fall the lake will turn very clear.

You will want to focus your efforts on the mid lake structure. There are reefs everywhere and each of them hold good fish. With the cool evenings we have had lately, you may want to check the North and Northwest reeds/sand flats as they hold some good shallow cabbage and the muskie tend to move in and out of there when water temps begin to drop.

You can't go wrong with bucktails out there, but for some reason suicks really produce for me on this lake. The old stand by bulldawgs and dussa's will obviously work well too.

If you get out, let me know how you do. I hope you find success. It can be real hit and miss and I have not been out there enough lately to have a good pattern for you. Night fishing can be good, but be careful. Since there is a lot of mid-lake structure boats go flying past you at 30+ mph. I have had some very close calls with my lights on and people almost hitting me anyway.

In summary, the lake is definitely worth a shot. I really wish it was as good as it was 5 years ago

Edited by asteffes 8/22/2012 9:17 AM
lots of luck
Posted 8/22/2012 12:55 PM (#580160 - in reply to #580096)

Asteffes nailed it with his response.

Started muskie fishing in 2004 and had no clue what we were doing. Waconia always gave us follows and attempts at fish the first few years. As years passed though fishing became very difficult out there. Lots of young guys lived on that lake day and night, plus lots of guiding. The Metro tournament results were phenomenal some years as well. With 3k acres of water, I am sure there are still lots of fish to be found.

I am boatless now and don't get to fish anymore, but what asteffes mentioned is good stuff. Lots of good cabbage all over the lake. From the rock jetty to the NW corner. South shoreline cabbage from Mase's to the beach. Kegs has produced well, Center Reef, Wagner's Bay, and the Clay banks used to awesome when we first started fishing out there. Typing this brings back a lot of memories or follows all over the lake.

Good luck!
nocturnalmotors
Posted 8/22/2012 1:24 PM (#580165 - in reply to #580160)
Subject: Re: Waconia

Thanks for the great responses guys. Sounds bitter-sweet. I'll give 'er a whirl anyhow. I'll be launching out of the east DNR access either Saturday or Sunday morning. Any issues finding a parking spot at 7am? I don't fish the metro much because I usually can't stand driving to a lake to find out you can't park. If I do, it's Tonka out of Grey's. Is Waconia that busy? I'm usually off the water by 11 or 12.
Moltisanti
Posted 8/22/2012 1:32 PM (#580170 - in reply to #580085)

Awesome response, Tony. However, you forgot one very important tidbit of knowledge about Waconia.

"When you get bit here, it's big. I mean, I honestly can't remember the last time I caught a fish under 40."

2 minutes later he's netting my mammoth 34"
lots of luck
Posted 8/22/2012 1:39 PM (#580173 - in reply to #580165)

I would think you should be OK. Very popular lake for bass tournaments. If there isn't a spot available, which I don't believe will be a problem at that time of the morning, the overflow parking is on the shoulder of 92, which is no problem. Unless you forget to put your plug in, don't ask me how I know, luckily I had the plug in my cup holder and I figured it out before I fired the motor. Very nice ramp, things usually go easy there.

Slimeduptuffy
Posted 8/22/2012 1:39 PM (#580174 - in reply to #580085)

Been out there alot this summer and it's kinda funny, all I've seen is guys throwin double blades. Maybe seen one or two people throwin dogs.
ArmPit
Posted 8/22/2012 1:42 PM (#580175 - in reply to #580174)

I may have to check this lake out, haven't fished it before. Thanks for sharing the info guys.

lots of luck
Posted 8/22/2012 1:46 PM (#580177 - in reply to #580175)

ArmPit - 8/22/2012 1:42 PM

I may have to check this lake out, haven't fished it before. Thanks for sharing the info guys.

;)

LOL!!!!!

ArmPit
Posted 8/22/2012 2:08 PM (#580188 - in reply to #580177)

We'll have to get out this year Jason! I've got an open seat for you.
lots of luck
Posted 8/22/2012 2:20 PM (#580192 - in reply to #580085)

Nocturnal, we also had many accidental catches on smaller crank baits out there also fishing for other species. My dad was great for this. Taildancers, shad raps, etc. The best accidental I had though was on a sweet beaver from under a dock while bass fishing. That muskie felt just like a bass sucking it up off the bottom until I set the hook and all hell broke loose.
nocturnalmotors
Posted 8/22/2012 2:22 PM (#580193 - in reply to #580188)

Right on! Thanks again guys. I really appreciate it.
jasond
Posted 8/24/2012 10:11 AM (#580604 - in reply to #580193)

Was at Lola's for dinner a couple of days ago and the water was really green. If the muskies don't treat you well, bring the bass gear. The bass fishing has been really good out there this year. I kind of have a love/hate with Waconia the last 2 years...I can fish it 4-5 times in a row without seening a fish, but then when I get one it is usually a nice one. Unfortunately i wasn't on the west side of town for what appeared to be Waconia's heyday 4-5 years ago.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)