Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Inflatable PFD's (Mustangs to be specific)

Message Subject: Inflatable PFD's (Mustangs to be specific)
H2O Mellon
Posted 11/27/2012 8:42 AM (#599747)
Subject: Inflatable PFD's (Mustangs to be specific)

I tried using the search topic but couldn't come up w/ any threads about this so here goes:

I've been doing research on inflatable pfds. I've looked at the Cabelas, Bass Pro, Onyx and Mustangs. The Mustangs are sized to a 52 inch chest while just about all others are sized to 50 inches. I'm right there between 52 to 54 so I am leaning towards one of the Mustsangs along with a belt extension. The US Coast Guard laws state an extension is only legal for folks who need it, so I am literally right on the line. Until this morning I was going to go with an Onyx mostly due to price but I called Onyx and they don't sell their own extensions. For some reason I just fell better about buying a Mustang since they make their own extension.

I was hoping to get some opinions on Mustangs w/ H.I.T. versus the ones without it and also the ones with M.I.T. What I've learned in a nut shell is that the ones with H.I.T. will not inflate unless there is 4 or more inches of water and will not inflate even while fishing in a hurricane, not that anyone's going to do that anyway. The H.I.T.s rearming kits are about $70 versus $30 for the others. The basic pfd w/ the new M.I.T. specs are 20% lighter than other pfds in their class.

For those of you that have these or have used these is it worth the extra price (as much as $100 extra) for the piece of mind to know that if you leave the H.I.T in your storage locker and they get wet they still wont inflate?

I would like to hear general comments about the Mustangs,the ones w/ H.I.T and/or M.I.T. or without.

I'm all ears about auto vs manual too. I would think that if you are someone that fished by their self an auto is the way to go. If you fall off the boat and hit your head on a log the manual isn't going to do much for you.If I'm wrong let me know.

I've also decided to get a Mustang flotation coat for late fall and winter. That one should actually be here before Christmas I think. I'm just having a hard time deciding on the pfd for summer/spring.

Here's the H.I.T. info:

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recreational/hit%E2%84%A2-inflatable...

Here's the M.I.T. info:

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recreational/mit-22-inflatable-pfd-m...
H2O Mellon
Posted 11/27/2012 9:10 AM (#599755 - in reply to #599747)
Subject: Re: Inflatable PFD's (Mustangs to be specific)

Update:
I think I found what appears to be the best available price on the basic Mustang model #MD2010 (manual) $69.99 and model #MD2012 (auto) $79.99.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)