Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: All fishermen are born honest.... but they get over it
- (Added by: muskyhunter9909)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Clearcoat and paint bubbling--need advice

Message Subject: Clearcoat and paint bubbling--need advice
esox911
Posted 6/15/2012 8:39 PM (#565519)
Subject: Clearcoat and paint bubbling--need advice

I had painted up and sealed some baits here recently----Took them to the lake and the SUN was out and HOT--84 degrees. A couple of the baits that I had in a PLANO clear box developed some bubbling of the finish due to the extreme heat build up in the box. Baits outside the box sitting in the direct sun did not do this--Only the ones in the box. ANY Idea why ??? I am thinking the primer separated from the wood since the paint and sealer both bubbled. Wood was sealed with latex sanding sealer with B.I.N primer over that before painting. Any help or Ideas on what may have caused this. Thanks JIM
YOU can see the bubble on the lure in the top center of the bait !!!

Edited by esox911 6/15/2012 8:46 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(127.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 127.jpg (36KB - 168 downloads)
Capt bigfish
Posted 6/15/2012 10:07 PM (#565535 - in reply to #565519)
Subject: RE: Clearcoat and paint bubbling--need advice

just a guess here... if the blank was not sufficiently dry (down to 6-8% moisture content to start) but sealed anyway, the sealer could not possibly do it's job. Try baking you blanks for 6-10 hours in a kitchen oven at 200 degrees. Weigh them every couple hours and write the weight on the blank. When you get 3 of the same readings over 6 hours, the blank is dry. Then seal and prime. If you know where your wood came from and what the mc is then you're going to be ahead of the game. This would not be a problem for small or tiny baits that some like to over use.
esox911
Posted 6/16/2012 6:39 AM (#565557 - in reply to #565535)

Thanks for the insight on the wood moisture possibility. I think the wood was dry -- but never checked it--I will try the baking thing on the next set of baits and see if that helps. I am also going to slowly remove the paint and topcoat on those baits to see if I can find at what layer it separated at---I think it is at the primer/sealer level down to the wood---But I haven't removed the layers to see yet. Thanks JIM
Posted 6/17/2012 5:39 PM (#565774 - in reply to #565519)

Plain and simple, you can't let epoxy baits bake in the sun no matter how well they are made. If it was 84 outside it was probably 100 in your box. epoxy starts getting soft as the temp. goes up. Try to keep your baits out of the sun on hot days.
esox911
Posted 6/17/2012 10:16 PM (#565814 - in reply to #565774)

Yes--I am going to make an effort to keep them out of the sun----It was definately HOT inside that plano box---when I took the lures out I was amazed at how warm they were--I would say 100+ inside there with the sun high in the sky and no cloud cover what so ever. A couple of those baits had also just finished their epoxy topcoat about 72 hrs earlier----so maybe they were a litlle less set up and hard them some of the others. About 5 out of 18 baits had some bubbling on them--the others were still fine.
Stan Durst 1
Posted 6/18/2012 7:59 AM (#565872 - in reply to #565814)

I agree with Guest,
I have seen plastic baits swell up due to the heat from the Sun too. The heat in the box was very extreme and that was your problem, to say the least. Also the epoxy may be dry in 72 hours but not fully cured. There is a big difference there. Check the instructions to see how long it takes for full cure.. Even then, extreme heat can make it go bad.
crankbaitman
Posted 6/18/2012 4:42 PM (#566018 - in reply to #565519)
Subject: Re: Clearcoat and paint bubbling--need advice

The bubbling had nothing to do with your paint/clear coat.You can expect this to happen to even hollow plastic baits in those plano boxes in the hot sun.Its not much different than putting a heat gun to your bait.Your better off putting those epoxied baits in a hanging bait box.
Viscidartimus
Posted 6/19/2012 6:45 PM (#566333 - in reply to #566018)

I agree, purely done by the heat of the day. I had a similiar but not as signifacant
problem.

Edited by Viscidartimus 6/19/2012 6:47 PM
esox911
Posted 6/19/2012 7:01 PM (#566338 - in reply to #566333)

Thanks for the tips---YES, I will be using a hanging type open box from now on----that way I will know for sure if it ever happens again that it is not the heat. I am hoping that is all it was as that is an easy fix for me----Already got a couple of the baits back to wood and will be ready to paint and seal them again shortly. Cost me nothing but some time to refinish them so all is well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)