Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Knowing what you think is alot more important than thinking what you know
- (Added by: sworrall)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> epoxy question

Message Subject: epoxy question
pred8tor
Posted 5/16/2012 3:24 AM (#560040)
Subject: epoxy question

ive always mounted my lips first then coated with epoxy and placed on drying rack before painting. I noticed many of you insert the lip after the final epoxy coat and Id like to try that as kinda tiresome cracking away the epoxy to peel off the lexan sticker, my question is how do you keep the epoxy from getting into the lip slot? Hope someone here can help me with this. Thanks a bunch in advance.
ShutUpNFish
Posted 5/16/2012 7:47 AM (#560057 - in reply to #560040)
Subject: Re: epoxy question

You could essentially get a piece of cardboard or plate slightly smaller than the thickness of the slot, wrap in paper towel and slide it through just before putting the lure on the rack. OR be real careful applying the etex in that area, knowing some will get in...however wrpping the same type of plate with 220 sandpaper and sanding the excess out when completely dry.

Thats why I epoxy in all my lips before etex and take off all of the protective covering...then be real careful the whole rest of the way through accepting the fact that some scuffs may get on the lips. Ultimately, my baits are made to be run and catch fish, they are not show pieces.
pred8tor
Posted 5/18/2012 2:58 AM (#560494 - in reply to #560057)

Thanks a ton! You must be some kind of genius! You also make some real killer baits, great job and innovation! Enjoyed your site and will be back there.
Kingfisher
Posted 5/28/2012 2:25 PM (#562243 - in reply to #560494)

I put all my lips in after painting then top coat. The etex seals it all up nice and pretty. I use clear epoxy for gluing in the lips. I even do my Big Wire through baits like that. Prime them, paint them, assemble them and then coat. I hate taping off lips during painting. My lures are all painted without any hardware except jointed cranks which have the screw eyes in the join right from the beginning. Mike
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)