Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Navionics iPhone app

Message Subject: Navionics iPhone app
5th lake Brad
Posted 4/12/2012 9:43 PM (#552811)
Subject: Navionics iPhone app

Does anyone know If the navionics app works in northern Wisconsin , Oneida and Vilas counties , On an iPhone with the sprint network? I don't want to buy it and never be able to use it because the signal is weak. Thanks
makins117
Posted 4/12/2012 9:46 PM (#552812 - in reply to #552811)
Subject: Re: Navionics iPhone app

The Navionics App works by using the internal gps of the phone. If you download certain areas of the map to your phone before heading out it should work fine. You don't need a cell phone signal for the app to work while on the water, but you can't update maps without the cell phone signal. Hope that makes sense.
chevysux
Posted 4/12/2012 10:09 PM (#552819 - in reply to #552811)
Subject: RE: Navionics iPhone app

I have the app for both the iPhone and iPad. It works great. I picked up a ram mount for my iPad and have the lowrance unit next to my iPad so one has the sonar going and the iPad has the gps showing me where I'm at on the lake at all times. It's just as accurate as the lowrance unit with navionics. It's not as customizable as with the lowrance unit but with the iPad I have a nice big screen showing me the contours. It's worked in northern Wisconsin and up in Canada. They do make ram mounts for the iPhone as well and if you go to www.lifeproof.com you can get a waterproof case for your phone that is not bulky and you can still fit it in your pocket.
MartinTD
Posted 4/13/2012 6:24 AM (#552838 - in reply to #552812)

makins117 - 4/12/2012 9:46 PM

The Navionics App works by using the internal gps of the phone. If you download certain areas of the map to your phone before heading out it should work fine. You don't need a cell phone signal for the app to work while on the water, but you can't update maps without the cell phone signal. Hope that makes sense.

Q. Can I navigate with the Android if there is no internet connectivity?
A. An internet connection is only needed to download Navionics Mobile to your Android device. Once downloaded, the map resides on the Android tablet allowing you to view Navionics Mobile Charts with the tablet's internal GPS (if available)
(from the Navionics page)
esox1980
Posted 4/13/2012 9:16 AM (#552869 - in reply to #552811)

The app is spot on. It doesn't matter if you have service or not. The app allows you to download region and just run the gps. The map is stored on your device. I actuall turn my cellular data off to save battery if I'm using it heavily. I have the app on my old iPhone, which I no longer even have service for, just for ice fishing. No service needed.
Fishlips
Posted 4/13/2012 12:23 PM (#552911 - in reply to #552811)

Love this app. Ive been using it for 3 year now and it keeps getting better. another nice feture is you can steal your buddys secret spot when your in his boat hehehe
5th lake Brad
Posted 4/13/2012 9:34 PM (#552980 - in reply to #552811)

Ok. Sold, now I need to figure out how to download it. I don't find it in the iPhone app store and when I go to navionics page it only let me open it in iTunes which in turn just stops it. Thank god I have a month, I may need it
tcbetka
Posted 4/13/2012 9:41 PM (#552982 - in reply to #552980)

I just got the Android version of the Navionics HD mobile app tonight actually. Awesome stuff--love the Google Maps integration! I can't wait to try it out in the boat.

What RAM mount are you using for your iPad chevysux? This is the one I found for my Toshiba Thrive tablet, but it appears as though it will work for several tablets...

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid...

TB
chevysux
Posted 4/18/2012 9:25 PM (#554159 - in reply to #552811)

Navionics customer service said that the app will be available very soon for download once they have finished updating them. So just keep checking the app store periodically to see if it's back on there yet
Louis
Posted 4/18/2012 9:45 PM (#554163 - in reply to #554159)

Can you download/upload waypoints?
5th lake Brad
Posted 4/27/2012 9:42 PM (#556311 - in reply to #554163)

How long should it take to download about a 20 square mile part of the map? It's been going for an hr and no sign of progress in the status bar. What am I doing wrong? I am on wi-fi at home.
tcbetka
Posted 4/30/2012 7:19 AM (#556753 - in reply to #552811)

My Toshiba Thrive downloads the maps very quickly, but I presume this is more of a function of network connection speed, rather than the device that is downloading it. We have a cable modem, so download speeds are pretty quick. You might try the download at a friend's house or something--or maybe somewhere there's an open wifi network (preferably high-speed). At least that way you might be able to determine where the problem lies...

TB
5th lake Brad
Posted 4/30/2012 7:47 PM (#556923 - in reply to #556753)

It was them not me. They had a server problem. I contacted navionics. It's up and good now. I downloaded all of northern wi in about 10 seconds. Thanks
bdog
Posted 4/30/2012 8:17 PM (#556936 - in reply to #552811)

So since were on the subject, any suggestions on an affordable reliable tablet to use this app? Was kickingbaround the idea of getting one anyway and this just seals the deal.
tcbetka
Posted 4/30/2012 8:34 PM (#556940 - in reply to #556936)

There are many good ones out there. I bought a Toshiba Thrive, but only because it's easier to develop software for that (using Java or C#) than it is with an iPad. Apple charges you every year you want to maintain your developer account and transfer your own programs to their hardware. So I went with the Android-based tablet, and it's very nice. But there are several nice ones out there. My Thrive was well under $400--I think it was about $340 or so, with a rebate. That was for a 16gb model, purchased in November 2011. I don't know what they are now though, but an iPad was about $100 or so more as I recall.

TB
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)