Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Cane Pole Shocker!

Message Subject: Cane Pole Shocker!
Farmer Rick
Posted 3/25/2012 8:37 PM (#548525)
Subject: Cane Pole Shocker!

So here's a funny story that happened today on the farm. Planned on taking the niece and nephew (ages 4 and 3) down to the pond to catch a few gills and then I would catcha mess of eater size bass to have an evening fry... Well about ten years ago I custom picked some cane poles while working in the boot heel of Missouri when I was working on a restoration project and built some authentic cane poles. Over the years all of the little ones at the farm have learned to fish with them. So I took the kids dug up some worms for bait and headed to the pond with a bucket, cane pole, bass rod, and a couple of lures. My wife, sister in law and mother in law accompanied us cause the weather was so nice.

I baited the hook and it too a few minutes to start finding the gills but I finally got to the spot. Hooked the first gill and it was a slab so I put it in the bucket and the kids lost all interest in fishing and just wanted to play with the fish in the bucket so so be it... i caught some more slabs and decided to make it an all bluegill meal cause they are better than bass anyways. Well my SIL wanted to try but has'nt fished since she was a child so I handed the rod over and threw my bass stuff areound a little. She went to yelling I got one and I ran over and she had a nice 2lb bass on. It was a female so we released it. She then got a couple nice gills and then my wife want's to try to catch some too. She has never really fished so I got her going. She got a gill or two then the fish shut down. Starting to get impatient after a couple minutes with no action she started to bring the bait towards shore and the water erupts right at her feet. I looked down and there was a big channel cat thrashing on the end of her line. She lifted up the rod and it broke about four feet up from her hands but did not snap. I grabbed the upper portion of the rod and handed her that part and told her to back up. The ruckus on the shoreline from the kids and grandma could probably be heard by the neighbors. I reached into the water and drug the beast up onto land.

I didn't even know there were any cats left in the pond they were put in like 25 years ago and i have never even caught one and even tried like 10 years ago but couldn't get the few I knew were in there to bite... This fish was old, real old, I would guess 20-25lbs so I'm thinking this might be a cane pole record. The best part of the whole deal was that the first thing my wife said was " We're not keeping her are we?" I said no way this is the queen of the pond. The girls then proceeded to catch the rest of dinner and the kids played with the bucket O gills and made some great memories... Here's a pic of the cane pole cat or as the kids called her the monster fish

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Kellis Catfish (Copy).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Kellis Catfish (Copy).jpg (84KB - 137 downloads)
wvhillbillyjlm
Posted 3/25/2012 8:46 PM (#548536 - in reply to #548525)
Subject: RE: Cane Pole Shocker!

Awesome fish on any pole!!
sworrall
Posted 3/25/2012 11:51 PM (#548564 - in reply to #548525)
Subject: Re: Cane Pole Shocker!

Dinosaur!
firstsixfeet
Posted 3/26/2012 11:26 PM (#548788 - in reply to #548525)

The endless mystique of fishing.

Great catch for everyone that day.
J.Sloan
Posted 3/27/2012 7:02 AM (#548800 - in reply to #548525)

Cool story dude, thanks for sharing!

JS
Mojo1269
Posted 3/27/2012 8:18 AM (#548809 - in reply to #548525)

Awesome story...
joemsanderson
Posted 3/27/2012 8:30 AM (#548810 - in reply to #548525)

Great story. Good job getting the youngsters into the great sport of fishing.
pike2772
Posted 3/29/2012 10:35 AM (#549288 - in reply to #548525)

Nice story. Good read!
Sam Ubl
Posted 3/29/2012 11:09 AM (#549296 - in reply to #548525)

You can see all the wet from the shore splashing on your shirt... cool story!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)