Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: i don't trust the musky angler that need a belt and suspenders at the same time
- (Added by: muskinja)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> foil problem help needed

Message Subject: foil problem help needed
jlammusky
Posted 2/22/2012 6:20 PM (#540617)
Subject: foil problem help needed

Hi guy's i have a really simple question . I see you guy's building awesome foil bait I just start weeks ago doing my own bait and I will like to try the foil process . I saw a video of solar how to fo but I c'ant find some foil for a good price. I'm looking for silver foil.

Also I saw some foil with kind of desing inside do it come like this and if not how you do .

A last question do I do a coat of epoxy and then painting or do I paint directly direct on the foil ??

thanks it will help a lot !!

Jonth
Zib
Posted 2/22/2012 7:19 PM (#540647 - in reply to #540617)
Subject: RE: foil problem help needed

If you want cheap just use aluminum foil that you use for cooking. Glue it shinny side up. You can make the design in the foil yourself by placing the foil on top of your scale material then roll something smooth over the foil. There are probably hand tools in your toolbox that have grooves cut into the handle grip that can make cool patterns on the foil. I have a pickle fork (tool used to remove ball joints on a car) that has a nice design on the handle that gives a fine scale pattern on the foil when you roll it over the foil.

Other material you can use for foiling is stuff you can find in a craft store. Things like the see through wrap (comes in different colors) used to wrap gift baskets etc.
MuskyFix
Posted 2/22/2012 7:53 PM (#540661 - in reply to #540647)

At least two coats of etex then paint, by the time your done you may have 6 coats

Good Luck
newmuskyz
Posted 2/22/2012 7:55 PM (#540663 - in reply to #540647)

yep-cooking foil. after you glue it on and get it set the way you want epoxy over it until its smooth. then paint and epoxy again for finish.
knooter
Posted 2/22/2012 8:13 PM (#540667 - in reply to #540663)
Subject: Re: foil problem help needed

A real easy and popular material is foil tape, like what is used on ductwork. If you can find some cheap stuff that is thin (2 mil thickness or less) it'll work best. When you apply the tape make sure to smooth down the edges so it doesn't show thru the epoxy. You can experiment with adding texture before or after applying the tape. It really depends on the desired effect, or how aggressive the texture is. Some people will put the tape on the bait right over a thin netting material. Experiment on spare chunks of wood until you have the technique fine tuned. Good luck.
jlammusky
Posted 2/23/2012 6:38 AM (#540737 - in reply to #540617)
Subject: Re: foil problem help needed

Thanks too all of you for your help it's really apreciatei'll give a try today and i'll post some picture when i'll be proud enough of my result !7!! Thanks again
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)