Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: This would be a good time...we got an audience.
- (Added by: GMan)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> How much do I need

Message Subject: How much do I need
Targa01
Posted 12/18/2011 8:29 PM (#529285)
Subject: How much do I need

Ok, I'm getting all my lure building stuff put together and wanted to ask how far some of this stuff will go, such as paints, sealers, envirotex epoxy, etc.

As of right now I'm looking at buying some Envirotex in 16oz package but how many baits (9-12" cranks w/ 2 coats) will this cover?

Same question for the createx.

I know there are a lot of variables but can you give me a rough idea so I can better plan for when I get done with my blanks.

Thanks guys!
Landonfish
Posted 12/18/2011 9:49 PM (#529293 - in reply to #529285)
Subject: Re: How much do I need

I'm not an expert at this yet either but I would say etex would go like 20 baits depends on how thick u paint it on and how little waste you get away with. For me I use thicker coats. As for createx it goes along way. I wouldn't even have a guess.
Targa01
Posted 12/18/2011 11:39 PM (#529297 - in reply to #529293)

I appreciate the info. Part of what makes me ask this question is the huge variety of sizes avaiable (2oz-16oz), especially with the createx. At this point I'm thinking of just buying the larger sizes of paint in the colors I know I will use the most, whites, black, and gold. Then maybe try the smaller sizes in other colors and of course in pearls, iridescents, and opaques.
newmuskyz
Posted 12/19/2011 11:58 AM (#529362 - in reply to #529285)
Subject: RE: How much do I need

16oz kit of etex would be plenty. depends on waste but you will do enough lures with it to start out for sure. you dont want that stuff sitting around for long. I bought a gallon of the clear I use a year ago and Im still working on it. As for the createx the 16 oz is good for opaque white because you will use alot of it to prime with. the best way to buy all the others for the money may be to buy a kit like all the pearls, all the opaques, irridescents etc. from a place like TCP on ebay. It goes a long way, but that way you have a nice variety to get you started. the kits also come with cups and cleaner. the cups are good to mix clear and tint your own colors with.
Targa01
Posted 12/20/2011 8:37 PM (#529573 - in reply to #529285)

Thanks man! I was hoping to get some feedback and confirmation on what I was thinking.

Just an FYI for everyone, I found some E-tex on Joann Fabrics for a little over $15 for a 16oz kit. Then use promo code TEACHER2012 for anotherh 20% off. Helps knock down the $6.95 shipping at least.

Thanks again and if anyone has more to add please do. I would like to hear as much info you guys have to offer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)