Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Species to target in Montego Bay Question

Message Subject: Species to target in Montego Bay Question
MuskieMark01
Posted 11/20/2011 4:30 PM (#525376)
Subject: Species to target in Montego Bay Question

So I know it's a long shot, but asking never hurts... I'm taking a trip to Montego Bay, Jamaica next March, and I have a charter already booked. The guy told me it would be up to me what we target, and I'm curious if anyone's ever fished a charter in that region before, and if so, how successful it was. The charter recommends I go after marlin because March is the hot time of year, but I'm guessing even the hottest action only produces about a marlin every couple of trips at best, so I'm looking into other species to go after that may give me a better chance of at least catching SOMETHING.

Any thoughts or advice at all would be appreciated.
IM Musky Time
Posted 11/20/2011 6:36 PM (#525397 - in reply to #525376)
Subject: Re: Species to target in Montego Bay Question

Not sure about the charters....but if you strike on on finding action, barracudas are always around and always fun---closest to a musky you'll find in the salt Have stayed in Jamaica before and you really don't need to get very far off the island to find great fishing. Most of the reefs hold more fish than you could handle in your entire trip, including some tankers. We always go around this time of year, so the offshore options are not what they are when you'll be there. Fighting a 30+ cuda from a kayak in the ocean is a pretty cool experience. Good luck!
jonnysled
Posted 11/20/2011 7:58 PM (#525407 - in reply to #525376)

easy to do yourself there ... all the fish relate to the weed
Herb_b
Posted 11/21/2011 6:12 PM (#525536 - in reply to #525376)

You should have a lot to fish for at this time of year in the Carribean.

I caught a 40 lb Wahoo last winter off of Puerto Rico and, after that 20 minute fight from heck, would not want to fight a 400 lb Marlin. It can take 2 hours or more to land a fish like that - and halfway through you will need to use the potty. Count on it.

I like reef fish like Tuna, Cobia and Barracuda. A 50 lb Tuna will give you all the fight you want and Cobia will hit on a figure-8 just like a Muskie. King Mac are a blast too as a 25 lb King Mac will outfight any Muskie.

Ocean fishing is a blast.
Posted 11/21/2011 8:05 PM (#525570 - in reply to #525376)
Subject: RE: Species to target in Montego Bay Question

I fished Walker's Cay in the Bahamas in March for Sails and Marlin, we had them in he spread but didn't hook up. We also caught a few very big Wahoo, Mahi Mahi and one Yellowfin Tuna.I always take a traveling spin outfit with me to fish from shore, use metal spoons in silver and you will catch a number of different fish including Barracuda. Check out the Flordiasportsman site and search in the Tropical Sportmans section, you might find some more information there.

Jay
PIKEMASTER
Posted 11/22/2011 6:50 AM (#525585 - in reply to #525376)

I would ck out if there is any Flats, and U could wade for Bones and Permit !!!!
Tackle Industries
Posted 11/22/2011 8:16 AM (#525588 - in reply to #525376)

MuskieMark01, email me at [email protected] I have a lot of guys who get my saltwater Super Ciscos for fishing down there. Lots of fish with big teeth Bet you will have a blast!
MuskieTom
Posted 11/22/2011 12:30 PM (#525618 - in reply to #525376)

I caught a 20lbs king mac a few years ago and it was so awesome, the jumps the runs that she made were unreal. Also dolphin (mahi) are a phenomenal fighting fish and a ton of fun to see come to the boat with the colors they change to.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)