Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Disturbing local access issue...invasive species related

Message Subject: Disturbing local access issue...invasive species related
bturg
Posted 9/3/2011 10:35 AM (#514920)
Subject: Disturbing local access issue...invasive species related

This from the Lakeshore Weekly News a local newspaper for the Lake Minnetonka Area.

8/29/2011 3:08:00 PM
MCWD looks for support to take the lead on AIS

By Gail Lipe
Reporter

The Minnehaha Creek Watershed District (MCWD) Board of Managers received support from various organizations and individuals in its efforts to manage and prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species (AIS) at its Aug. 25 meeting.

Shorewood Mayor Chris Lizée presented a resolution recently passed by the Shorewood City Council supporting MCWD taking a leadership role in coordinating and implementing a comprehensive AIS program throughout the watershed that may become a model for metro or statewide implementation.

"There is no really one good answer to deal with this ," said Eric Evenson, MCWD district manager. To be effective, the MCWD realizes it needs a comprehensive AIS plan.

He said the MCWD also realizes it cannot do it on its own. It needs to work with other organizations like the lake associations, conservation districts and the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

Projects being considered by MCWD include creating a regulatory program to control lake access by requiring a permit before people can put watercraft, docks, boat ramps, plant harvesting equipment or dredging equipment into any body of water in the watershed.

In order to implement such a program, the watershed plan would need to be amended to include more specifics about how contaminated craft would be identified.

Evenson said the managers could call on the rule-making task force to refine an ordinance, and the whole process would take about four months.

Before involving the rule-making task force, the MCWD should have the support of the other local communities in a form similar to Shorewood's resolution, said Jeffrey Casale, MCWD manager.

"We either need to fish or cut bait," said Manager Lee Keeley. She said the board needs to "accelerate this project" because "AIS are already here."

The board directed the MCWD staff to secure resolutions of support from the other local communities before November.

The board also approved hiring Insight Technologies of Grand Forks, N.D., to develop a prototype radio frequency identification (RFID) lake access system, at a cost of about $25,000.

The prototype system will be using a RFID tag, which is "common off-the-shelf technology," said Evenson. It is used for e-pass systems on highways and card-swipe entry systems.

The tag will be attached to the boat that will be read at boat access gates. It will allow access for boats going from one uncontaminated lake to another. If the watercraft goes into a body of water containing AIS and then goes to one that does not, the gate will not open.

Don Fisk, president of Insight Technologies, said the boat will need to go to an inspection station and/or a cleaning station.

After it has been inspected and decontaminated, the tag will be reset and will open the gates at uncontaminated lakes.

A central database will store the information and implement the rules at the managed access points.

Though RFID technology has been used in other things, it has not been used to manage lake access.

The goal of this project is to determine the configuration of equipment at access points, placement of the tags on the boats, the power structure needed and how the interface will work.

The ultimate goal would be to go statewide with the project, but the parameters need to be worked out before it can go that far, said Fisk.

If this technology was to be applied only to the watershed district, it would be ineffective, said Evenson.

"The most effective way to manage AIS is on a statewide level," he said.

This project is to develop the necessary configuration and software to make it feasible, he said.

"This is just a gate system," said Manager Richard Miller. "There is nothing about this to raise it to the level of public funding."

He also said MCWD does not have the support system to gather all the information needed to be stored in the database.

The MCWD is struggling with how to manage AIS, and it has not come to a conclusion about what it should and should not do, said Jim Calkins, board president.

"We don't have all the details," he said, which is what he hopes this project would do. "A gated system is not as simple as we think it may be."

Watershed district residents and representatives from different organizations spoke in support of the project, though there were some concerns.

One concern is about the presumption that boats are permanently contaminated after being on an infested lake. How does a tag show whether the boat has been moored in a lake or in a dry garage?

Also, if this type of project is implemented across the state, would private and resort accesses be gated?

Data privacy and the definition of compliance also need to be worked out.

The point of this proposal is to answer those questions so the managers can determine the pros and cons of using RFID technology and to determine if it something they want to support, said Manager Pam Blixt.

Keeley motioned to approve the proposal, which passed with Miller as the only dissenting voter.

The board also discussed the pilot project on Christmas Lake, which Evenson said is not an attempt to prevent access to the lake and is not going to provide the only answer to dealing with AIS.

The project, which is looking for 100 percent inspections of boats going into Christmas Lake, is not "100 percent bulletproof," he said.

Controlling AIS cannot be done without also using education, research and partnership with other entities.

The project sets up a regional inspection station with a two-part ticket system. The ticket would open the gated access on Christmas Lake.

Evenson said it would require working with the Christmas Lake Association to provide a lake steward for when the gate is not working correctly.

DNR decontamination stations also would need to be utilized.

Steve Hirsch, DNR director of ecological and water resources, said the DNR recognizes it cannot deal with AIS on its own and is committed to working with MCWD.

It also is committed to residents having lake access, and it needs to balance the two, he said.

The pilot projects are supported by the DNR, he said. The main issues are going to be around the authority to complete the work, some of which may need legislative approval.

In other business, the board approved the Long Lake Creek corridor improvement project, at a cost of about $665,000 over the next three years.

Repairing the berm at the old Long Lake sewage lagoon has been pulled from the project because the MCWD staff has been working with the Metropolitan Council Environmental Services.

The lagoon, which is south of Highway 12, was constructed in 1962 and abandoned in 1981.

The berm that splits the lagoon has been invaded by muskrats and the surface water is draining into the creek.

James Wisker, MCWD district planner/program coordinator, said the Metropolitan Council is willing to dredge the lagoon next year and restore it to a wetland.

The current Long Lake Creek project includes redirecting the stream at the Smith Dump site, restoration of a ditched wetland and stabilizing the stream bank at two locations.

While I recongnize the big picture on invasive species (which are already here BTW) the bigger picture of a small group seeking to control and limit lake access is very disturbing to me. I found it very interesting that the list of other entities to "work with" has the DNR last on the list. This group is seeking a legislative action to put them AHEAD of the DNR in controling local lake access. They want to put up gates to both monitor and control YOUR use of lakes in MN. They want a data base of where you go and what you do. They want the authority to deny you access to OUR waters because a local homeowners group does not want you there. Decontamination is at best a long shot...bunks on trailors with a boat sitting on them are not going to be clean unless the boat is lifted from them first...and cleaned with what...chemicals that will be in the lake minutes after the "cleaning". The actions they want to take will be the first step in privatizing our local waters...the same people lobbied and sued the DNR over a public access on Christmas lake to start with as it was their lake.

If they get there way expect to be denied access to local lakes without representation or reason. Does anyone expect a "gate system" on numerous waters to actually function properly...last time I checked nothing engineered by humans works 100% of the time and a system of remote controled gates scattered throughout the state is bound to fail...then what...you go home instead of boating ?

This stinks of eliteism and control by a small group operating under the guise of saving "their" lakes...they are OUR lakes.

Yes invasive species are an issue but the reality is the horse is out of the gate...they are here and it is inevitable they will spread. Putting esentially a private group in charge of letting us launch or NOT launch is not the answer....end of rant.

Bob Turgeon

whynot
Posted 9/3/2011 11:27 AM (#514926 - in reply to #514920)
Subject: Re: Disturbing local access issue...invasive species related

Don't get too worked up about this. This is just overreaction at its finest and the DNR won't let lake associations dictate access to PUBLIC lakes from PUBLIC accesses. The DNR has to appease these lake associations by saying things like we're committed to working with them, but realistically they know these folks are nuts. In my opinion, there is no way invasive species will be stopped from spreading, only slowed down by any efforts.

That said, obviously this needs be nipped at the bud so other lake associations don't get the same idea and wast more DNR time and money with these ridiculous ideas.
sworrall
Posted 9/3/2011 11:34 AM (#514927 - in reply to #514920)

Bad idea. Really bad idea.
bturg
Posted 9/3/2011 11:48 AM (#514929 - in reply to #514927)

Keep in mind part of their stated plan is to get legislators to give them control OVER the DNR on managing the issue including access. The DNR is losing more control over managing resources every session the goverment meets. Every issue seems to be introduced in the senate by someone with an outside agenda and pushed by an individual local senator or representaive to appease percieved local interests.

Spearing comes to mind.......
raftman
Posted 9/3/2011 5:50 PM (#514971 - in reply to #514920)

Living in the west metro, I'm concerned. A lot of money on these lakes around here and there will be no shortage of it to get politicians on board. Perfect opportunity if you ask me for lakehome associations to get the government to overreact as government likes to do. In the mean time, these invasive species will still spread to there lake, lakehome associations will continue to fight any DNR backed legislation to improve shoreline habitat and overall water quality(can't take away those massive docks and fertilizers), and the average joe looking to hit up the local lake will suffer.
Muskie Treats
Posted 9/3/2011 6:22 PM (#514974 - in reply to #514971)

I sat in a meeting with these guys the other day. Let's just say they're in la-la land with a lot of the stuff they're thinking. Don't take it for granted that this is over reaction and will go away. One of the individuals wanted to throw a gate up at EVERY public landing in the state! We laugh now but wait until it happens. I have a hard time believing the legislature will go along with it, but after last session I won't put anything past them.
BrianF.
Posted 9/4/2011 7:57 AM (#515013 - in reply to #514974)

I'm not saying this is a good idea at all, don't misunderstand me. But how do we stop the spread of Zebra Mussels when they are more than likely getting transported by trailered boats from lake to lake? We care and can take the necessary precautions when trailering from infested lakes like, say, Lake Minnetonka or Lake Mille Lacs to uninfested lakes like Lake Vermilion. But other folks don't care or know of the potential transportation. As Bob points out, the eggs of these things float around and stick to everything. Who knows if and how long they could live on wet trailer bunks.

What other solutions can we come up with as an alternative to gating every public access in the state? Education certainly will help, but is unlikely to be the solution, in my opinion. I'm willing to endure more hardship in order to prevent the spread of these exotics if that solution - whatever that may be - was going to be effective.

BrianF.
Oneida Esox
Posted 9/4/2011 8:01 AM (#515014 - in reply to #514920)
Subject: RE: Disturbing local access issue...invasive species related

It's sad really that people that own land on a lake, not the lake, feel they can determine who is going to go on "their" lake. That's arrogance at it's finest.

That said the public use of lakes and launches in some areas is absolutely embarrasing. I was on Monona yesterday and the trash and garbage scattered at the boat landing and in, yes in, the water near the landing was absolutely embarrassing.

Half the trailers at the landing had weeds hanging on them, I can only hope that the weeds were removed before loading the boat.

While idling the no wake zone back to the landing I motored past, softballs, tennis balls, vodka bottles, milk jugs it was a mess.

Yes we need education on envasives, but if people don't even care about trash, do you really think they are going to care about a weed that most think are part of the ecosystem.

The simple fact is, we are in a VERY bad spot.

John

DJS
Posted 9/6/2011 8:59 AM (#515241 - in reply to #515014)

I'll put this bluntly. The following satement is as disturbing as putting up a gate at every public access.
"I'm willing to endure more hardship" Brian F.
That is enemy within type of stuff Brian. Take away our freedom to use public lakes because this MIGHT and I stress MIGHT stop the spread of exotics. NO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
happy hooker
Posted 9/6/2011 9:42 AM (#515247 - in reply to #515241)

does anybody think they cant do this,,,,look what the darkhouse is getting done without DNR support!!!!

Edited by happy hooker 9/6/2011 9:43 AM
Mak51
Posted 9/6/2011 12:06 PM (#515268 - in reply to #515247)

They have a little poll in the left hand column:

"Do you think the Minnehaha Creek Watershed District should take the lead role in aquatic invasive species management efforts?"

http://www.weeklynews.com/

Ummm, let me think... NO

Edited by Mak51 9/6/2011 12:10 PM
lpeitso
Posted 9/6/2011 2:33 PM (#515293 - in reply to #514920)

Well, they better start shooting every duck that drops into an infested lake, and don't forget the swans, herons, and loons. Now the good thing is that people will now have to buy 2 boats. This will get the economy going again. It's a jobs project. We will need people to put up the gates, inspect the boats, and always have people at every lake to inspect boats from other states who happen to be here on vacation. This is a 24/7 project from the day the ice goes out, until a couple weeks after it freezes back up. Oh yeah, we also have to keep people on the rivers year round, opps, nevermind, Mille Lacs is infected, which means the Rum is infected, which means the Mississippi below Anoka is infected, but we will still need people to make sure people aren't loaning people their uninfected card to people who are infected. We must validate everyone going from one body of water to the next. Now with who's tax dollars are we going to pay for all this crap?
Muskie Treats
Posted 9/6/2011 7:50 PM (#515341 - in reply to #514920)

Brian, here's the problem: what they're proposing isn't going to be effective nor sustainable. When I met with these people I pointed out a lot of holes in their plans and how ineffective these wash down/inspection stations really are. They acknowledged that they weren't all that effective for zebra muscles nor water born microscopic AIS (like muscles and water fleas) which is supposed to be the whole driving factor behind this. I questioned why were were going down this road and they said it was up to them to take a leadership roll in the fight against AIS since the perception was that the DNR wasn't doing enough.

When there is a cry for the Gov't to "do something" about a problem (AIS, bad economy, housing, etc) the problem is that often times the "something" when done in a rush like this is either leading us down the wrong path or it alienates the very people whom they want to get behind it. This gated landing idea is just one of these knee jerk reactions in my opinion and it's counter productive to getting more people behind the movement of stopping/slowing the spread of AIS.

For the record for those who will probably throw the old "what are you doing about it", I'm in the organization Anglers For Habitat (http://www.anglersforhabitat.com/). It's an organization consisting of concerned anglers to help deal with, provide input and work with the DNR, lake shore associations and the legislature on issues like habitat, shoreline rules, AIS, etc. We have been meeting with the DNR and attending many informational functions on the AIS issue. We have suggested many education ideas such as requiring an online AIS training course with a test at the end so people are forced to at least be aware of the problem and the consequences for not following the current laws on the books. We're always looking for more people interested in helping out as well.
tmag
Posted 9/6/2011 8:50 PM (#515354 - in reply to #514920)

Hey All,

What may be even more dangerous is that people ultimately do not work together. Seriously.

I'm out in NY where zebra mussels that have come down from the Great Lakes have completely altered many lakes. For example, in some lakes, where smelt were once plentiful, there are now almost none.

That said, I also doubt that gating up the launches will ultimately prevent all invasives from entering the system. What level of inspection can really be done? If they can't make it 100% for commercial vessels, what level of success will they have for recreational? They must also not forget what creeps in via the bait bucket too

In any event, check out some of the following documentaries as they are very informative about man's impact upon the ecosystem. Very interesting stuff, or at least I found it to be:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/poisonedwaters/etc/synopsis...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/poisonedwaters/
-- Chesapeake
-- Puget Sound

http://www.pbs.org/strangedays/episodes/
http://www.pbs.org/strangedays/index.html

http://www.pbs.org/strangedays/episodes/troubledwaters/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVKlt3DLzso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIXAytRvDQ0&feature=related

http://www.pbs.org/strangedays/episodes/dangerouscatch/
http://www.pbs.org/strangedays/episodes/dirtysecrets/
muskiemanAD
Posted 9/6/2011 9:10 PM (#515355 - in reply to #515354)

This annoys the hell out of me. To many people think they own the lake cause they live on it! If anything that lake should inspect livewells because the only invasive they dont have is the jumping carp! The foil and zebra mussels are out of hand. Seriously every piece of weed in that lake 20 baby zebra mussels attached to it. This whole issue stinks like rich people thinking they own a lake I use 50 times a year open water and ice fishing!
Dirt Esox
Posted 9/6/2011 10:56 PM (#515380 - in reply to #514920)

Chances are zeebs are in most of the area lakes, they just don't know it yet. I was talking to a Sheriff at the Waconia ramp a few weeks ago and he was saying they catch people hauling zeeb covered docks sold from Tonka people to their new owners on other lakes...if a few are being caught, imagine how many have made it to thier new destination. I wonder if most of this is being used as a tactic or an excuse by the lake associations to attempt to "privatize" the public lakes they live on while there is a hot topic such as invasives to mask their true intentions with. Or maybe I just watch too many conspiracy theory movies. Either way, not good.
Pointerpride102
Posted 9/7/2011 10:37 AM (#515432 - in reply to #514920)

First off....I think this is a terrible way to deal with invasive species (I'm an invasive species biologist). So I am on your side here about the gated entry idea. As much as I hate Minnesota sports teams, it is sad what is happening to the lakes out there. Minnesota started out with a great program, but it seems they haven't kept up with it.

Second, a lot of misinformation within this thread regarding decontamination and its probability of success. Decontamination can be extremely effective, when done correctly. It also does not require the use of any chemicals what so ever, contrary to what Mr. Turgeon posted. Also, the Clean Water Act regulates how far away from a waterbody a decontamination must be done, to prevent contaminated water from reaching the waterbody. Professional decontamination is done with high pressure (3000 psi at nozzel) hot water (140+ degrees F). The water pressure can be lowered to safely clean outboards, inboards, bilge, ballast etc. It has been proven in many studies that 140+ degree water kills live zebra/quagga mussels both adults and veligers (planktonic stage). Hot water can penetrate beneath trailer bunks or the use of an inflatable wedge can lift a boat just high enough off the bunks to remove any debris and wash with high pressure hot water. Bottom line is decontamination can be very effective.

BrianF posted: "As Bob points out, the eggs of these things float around and stick to everything. Who knows if and how long they could live on wet trailer bunks. "
This is only partially true, and we actually do know how long they can live outside the water. The veligers actually float around and settle on the bottom or parts of structure. Veligers need to settle within one inch of each other in order to reproduce. Any farther than an inch and reproduction doesn't happen. This is important when thinking about non infested waters. Though if you get a clump of adults in a non infested water, the veligers no longer matter. As for how long they can live out of water, this depends a bit upon relative humidity and temperature, but in general to be safe 7 days in the summer, 18 in the spring and fall, and 30 in the winter or 3 straight days of below freezing temps (not a problem in MN).

lpeisto wrote: "Well, they better start shooting every duck that drops into an infested lake, and don't forget the swans, herons, and loons." and "We will need people to put up the gates, inspect the boats, and always have people at every lake to inspect boats from other states who happen to be here on vacation. This is a 24/7 project from the day the ice goes out, until a couple weeks after it freezes back up"
Yes, ducks and waterfowl can potentially be a vector of transfer for invasive species, but it is highly unlikely that they are a big threat. They are very low risk compared to watercraft.
Understanding your sarcasm within the second statement, you are actually on the right track. If you care about YOUR resources, then everything aside from the putting up gates is a good way to attempt to prevent invasive species. 24/7 is not possible, but with a little data you can tease out peak boat use on waterbody. This is exactly what I do. Do I stop every single boat? No, that is impossible unless you use a gated system allowing entry to a waterbody only when a technician is at the reservoir. I don't like the gated idea what so ever. Access should not be restricted. As has been eluded to by Muskie Treats, do not think that this is an overreaction or something that cannot happen. It can happen. Sand Hollow Reservoir here in Utah is closed until an AIS technician is on site to inspect every single boat that comes in. When the gate is locked, you don't launch. It can happen, and it is happening. Maintaining an attitude that invasive species are here and are going to spread everywhere so why bother trying to stop them, is a sure fire way to see more and more of this. Before I started in the region I am in, veligers were found in Electric Lake. Pacificorp owns Electric Lake and they almost closed it and 2 other reservoirs up the road to any and all boating and/or access. Furthermore, when the Bureau of Reclamation caught wind of this they nearly shut down Huntington North reservoir, which is downstream from Electric Lake. Fortunately we were able to work together and came to an agreement that we would have technicians manage Electric Lake from sun up to sun down 7 days a week from ice off to ice up. Boats are inspected prior to launch and every boat that comes off Electric is decontaminated, to ensure invasive species are not spread to surrounding waters.

Again, I do not agree with gating of public waters. As Treats has eluded to, education is crucial. It isn't the be all, end all but it does help. The online certification program he suggests works well. I don't know the numbers off hand but many Utah boaters here take our optional online certification program. Working together, another point brought up in this thread, is essential. If groups can't work together then nothing will get done, no matter how good the intentions. Good luck Minnesota, seems like you'll need it.
rpike
Posted 9/7/2011 11:21 AM (#515442 - in reply to #515432)

Good post, Pointer.
Herb_b
Posted 9/7/2011 12:18 PM (#515456 - in reply to #514920)

And what about shore fishermen? It is entirely possible that the zebras in Minnetonka came from a shore fisherman who had their minnow bucket in an infested water and then dropped it into Minnetonka - and quite possibly at the Grey's Bay bridge where shore fishing is popular. No amount of boat landing control will stop careless shore fishermen.

I am afraid it is all to late anyway. The zebras are known to be in lakes scattered all over MN already. Here is a link to an infestation map of the lower 48 states. And those are only the lakes known to have zebra populations.
http://nas2.er.usgs.gov/viewer/omap.aspx?SpeciesID=5

What it is going to take is some way to control them or kill them, without killing everything else in the water system. There is research being done and hopefully someone will be able to find a way, whether it is a chemical or natural solution, to solve this problem. Here are a few links:
http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/article/20110130/NEWS/110129776
http://marronebioinnovations.com/pdf/zequanox_bg2.pdf

It sounds a little encouraging anyway. It would be great if lake associations could then just ask for donations to help pay for killing zebras instead of restricting access to the lakes altogether. It wouldn't be to bad if one just had to pay $10 for a yearly stricker to launch at the access to help pay for the treatments. It could even be a state-wide stamp one purchased when buying a fishing license or something like that. Just a thought anyway.

Its always something.

Edited by Herb_b 9/7/2011 12:20 PM
Pointerpride102
Posted 9/7/2011 12:38 PM (#515464 - in reply to #515456)

$10 for a sticker to help pay for treatments? Lets not put the cart in front of the horse. Zequenox hasn't proven to be effective in open water systems, it has been effective in localized treatments in power plant intake systems. Not to mention cost has not been provided on this product. Power plants have oodles of money, treating large bodies of water would take an enormous amount of the bacteria strain which I will absolutely guarantee you will cost a hell of a lot more than $10 per boater.

There are also chemicals that will kill mussels without a problem. Quite well, in fact. But they also kill everything else in the system. Not to mention chemical are also expensive.

As for shore fisherman, again yes they can be a vector of transfer but the amount of water they move in a bait bucket is what....maybe a gallon and a half? Wakeboard/ski boats can take on hundreds of gallons of water in their ballast tanks in order to create larger wakes to jump.

Once again, what a wonderful opportunity for education. Shore fisherman are likely fishing from shore because of what reason? They don't have a boat. If they don't have a boat do you think they are as aware of the mussel/AIS problem as boaters are? I know for a fact that they are not, based upon surveys we've done in our agency. The same is true with float tubers, canoers, kayakers and any other non motorized boat recreationists. Unfortunately the AIS problem affects everyone, not just those with boats but limited education has been extended to those without boats.

Again, if the attitude doesn't change that all boaters can actually make a difference then no difference will ever be made. Frankly it almost seems like a slap in the face to guys like Treats who are out there busting hump to get something done for the resources they enjoy. Everyone wants something done, but not everyone is willing to get involved.
muskiemanAD
Posted 9/7/2011 2:25 PM (#515487 - in reply to #514920)

All of this sounds like a good idea...... On a lake that doesn't have every invasive species under the sun in it already!! I don't agree with any lake assocation doing this, but at least the Christmas Lake group that is pushing their gate, doesn't have every invasive in it yet.
Pointerpride102
Posted 9/7/2011 2:31 PM (#515489 - in reply to #515487)

muskiemanAD - 9/7/2011 2:25 PM

All of this sounds like a good idea...... On a lake that doesn't have every invasive species under the sun in it already!! I don't agree with any lake assocation doing this, but at least the Christmas Lake group that is pushing their gate, doesn't have every invasive in it yet.

Wouldn't it also make sense to work with boaters leaving infested waters, as not to spread them to non infested waters?

These lake associations could put their money for gates to prohibit boaters, into money for technicians, proper training of those technicians, and proper equipment to effectively decontaminate boats coming off "their" infested waters. From what I gather about MN's decontamination units is they aren't the greatest and are fairly ineffective. If you start on the contaminated waters, you've got a better shot at preventing the spread to clean waters.
Herb_b
Posted 9/7/2011 4:15 PM (#515502 - in reply to #514920)

I know that I am probably dreaming a little, but it sure would be great if someone found a way to get rid of zebras once and for all.

I agree that the focus should be on boats coming off of the infected waters. That said, I fished Leech Lake (used the Federal Dam landing), Wabedo, and Minnetonka (Greys Bay Landing) in the past week in that order. There was no one at Leech, but I was met by a lake association member at the Wabedo landing and a DNR inspector at Minnetonka. They were both very helpful and seemed well informed. I told them what I was doing to keep my boat clean and they both thought I was doing a good job. Having a boat that smells like bleach seems wierd though.

I wonder if it would be possible to harvest zebra mussles and use them for something - like maybe make ethanol from the critters? A large ethanol plant near Mille Lacs could provide jobs and also help clean out the lake. I know it sounds stupid, but it might be possible. Anyone know anything about ethanol production?
North of 8
Posted 9/8/2011 7:33 PM (#515697 - in reply to #515502)

As a volunteer for clean waters, clean boats on the chain where I have a cottage, I have been very impressed the the fishermen I have spoken to. They are aware and concerned, they check out their trailers leaving the landing and so forth. I don't know if our efforts will ultimately work but the idea of putting up a gate, wow, even the property owners I know who are most concerned have never even suggesting limiting access.
bturg
Posted 9/8/2011 10:13 PM (#515730 - in reply to #514920)

Pointer thanks for the info, for my intent was to spur awareness of this groups intent as well as get more info out there. It seems to be working.

BT
Pointerpride102
Posted 9/9/2011 6:29 PM (#515833 - in reply to #515730)

bturg - 9/8/2011 10:13 PM

Pointer thanks for the info, for my intent was to spur awareness of this groups intent as well as get more info out there. It seems to be working.

BT

No problem, obviously I am all about AIS awareness. I am surprised at some attitudes toward the subject, especially by some here. Many get so hell bent on not having a musky out of water for 2 seconds, yet don't care about the ecosystem around them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)