Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> ok to troll with Legend tournament rods?

Message Subject: ok to troll with Legend tournament rods?
musky1
Posted 8/15/2011 1:47 PM (#511882)
Subject: ok to troll with Legend tournament rods?

Hi I'm just getting into musky fishing and got a used legend tournament musky rod (7'3 mH) and was wondering if it would be ok to troll lures/bucktails with it?

Or should I be looking at a talora or glass based rods? Don't want to wreck the LT if trolling will hurt it.

Thank you in advance.
anzomcik
Posted 8/15/2011 2:51 PM (#511895 - in reply to #511882)
Subject: Re: ok to troll with Legend tournament rods?

This may be an unpopular opinion. But if any casting rod cant take some trolling it is not worth having.

I say that from the view point of not everyone has the budget and space to carry several rods. I have done it for years mainly from the budget reasons. I would cast 75-85% of the time and loosen the drag on the reels and troll with my casting reels. No harm to any of my rods.

Just be sure that your rod holders are not beating up your rods or reels. If they are not beating up your equiptment than i see no reason casting rods cant be used for some trolling.
Flambeauski
Posted 8/15/2011 3:31 PM (#511899 - in reply to #511882)

I wouldn't speed troll Legend Plows with it but yeah, you can troll bucktails and smaller baits with it.
Tackle Industries
Posted 8/15/2011 4:03 PM (#511908 - in reply to #511882)

I agree, most casting rod are ok to troll with. Just make sure you don't go out and troll in 10F with a $300 casting rod though (just in case...). I had mine tested to -5F and did not have one snap but that was in a walk in cooler with a 10lb weight. Not the same as a 40lb momma hitting your rig while your going 4mph the other way on the lake in November If you can afford it get a good trolling rod but if you are on a budget I think you will be OK to troll with a casting rod.
JMO
James
CASTING55
Posted 8/15/2011 4:39 PM (#511916 - in reply to #511908)

st croixs can take alot of abuse,don`t worry about using it for trolling lures it can handle even in cold weather with the warranty the rod has,I`d use that rod in below freezing temps before other brands,I`ve beat my premiers up good and never had a problem in cold temps,not yet.
Musky1
Posted 8/15/2011 5:34 PM (#511932 - in reply to #511916)

Thanks all do you think the extra heavy would be too stiff to troll? Thinking of getting one to add to collection.
anzomcik
Posted 8/15/2011 6:22 PM (#511941 - in reply to #511882)

To stiff to troll... I believe everyone has there own "sweet spot" when it comes to how a perticilar rod should function for a certain job.

It would work, watch your drag on the reel. Witht he less give on a stout rod you will be depending alot more on the drag to allow wiggle room for the unhappy fish on the other end.

I got 4 trolling rods this year, they are two pc 7' cabelas whoopin sticks, medium action. 60$ with the cabelas line counters on it. For as much as i troll they will last a very very long time. Its nice they break down and i can store them in my boats compartments. They are not the best sticks out there but for the price and my usage they were what i need
jerryb
Posted 8/15/2011 8:44 PM (#511969 - in reply to #511882)
Subject: RE: ok to troll with Legend tournament rods?

If your going to only troll during your lunch break fine, you can get away with trolling a casting rod but if you ever get serious about trolling a solid fiberglass with good guides will be you best bet! Especially on you pocket. Recently I found a solid rod somewhere down south Alabama,, Texas? and paid $15 ea. I'm using em for wire, if it last a season.... I cleared the shelf...
Flambeauski
Posted 8/16/2011 8:46 AM (#512023 - in reply to #511882)

The problem with the XHF is there will be a tendency for your crankbaits to kick off to the side and go skipping across the surface. Not as bad when you're running the crankbait behind a board but not a good idea for flatline trolling crankbaits.
andym7
Posted 8/17/2011 9:07 PM (#512312 - in reply to #511882)
Subject: RE: ok to troll with Legend tournament rods?

may want to be carefull about mashing flat spots in your cork handle when the rod is in a holder. U can use a sock or something to make a cushion so it doesnt happen.
Tackle Industries
Posted 8/18/2011 6:50 AM (#512338 - in reply to #511882)

You can also use rod wrap for your handles...I like the sock idea!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)