Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Saltist 20 Clutch Cam Spring Problem

Message Subject: Saltist 20 Clutch Cam Spring Problem
muskymandan
Posted 2/7/2011 10:46 PM (#480473)
Subject: Saltist 20 Clutch Cam Spring Problem

Does anyone have an extra salitst 20 clutch cam spring sitting around? If so I'd like to see about getting one. Has anyone replaced a clutch cam spring on a saltist 20? Is there anything in particular I need to watch out for? The clutch lever still engages it is just a little loose locking up. I am almost positive the clutch cam spring is my problem. But I need some insight before I crack this puppy open.
Thanks
Daniel
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/8/2011 9:54 AM (#480524 - in reply to #480473)
Subject: RE: Saltist 20 Clutch Cam Spring Problem

I just sent mine to Diawa and they fixed it for free
muskymandan
Posted 2/8/2011 10:05 AM (#480526 - in reply to #480473)

Even after the 1 year warranty ran out?
Marty
Posted 2/8/2011 11:00 AM (#480534 - in reply to #480473)

Mine broke too, its easy to fix if you have any skill. The part is like $3. Once it breaks don't use the reel. A piece of mine got lodged in the gears and dinged some teeth. Does not look like the greatest design, but at the same time its not a $300 reel either.

I get my parts here www.sportsmansrepair.com, they are local to me.

gtp888
Posted 2/8/2011 12:07 PM (#480544 - in reply to #480473)

muskymandan - 2/7/2011 10:46 PM Does anyone have an extra salitst 20 clutch cam spring sitting around? If so I'd like to see about getting one. Has anyone replaced a clutch cam spring on a saltist 20? Is there anything in particular I need to watch out for? The clutch lever still engages it is just a little loose locking up. I am almost positive the clutch cam spring is my problem. But I need some insight before I crack this puppy open. Thanks Daniel

Mine has broken twice; once the first year, then had it fixed by Daiwa in the offseason.  The other time was the first time I used it the following season after having it fixed.  No more for me.  It sits in the house. 

muskymandan
Posted 2/8/2011 1:51 PM (#480566 - in reply to #480473)

Dang that isn't good if its that unreliable. Is there a heavy duty aftermarket cam spring out for sale yet? This must be a common problem with them then.
jlong
Posted 2/8/2011 2:07 PM (#480568 - in reply to #480566)

Mine broke too.  Removed the pieces to avoid trashing the gears.  Opted to replace the spring this winter... but decided to operate without it.  Figured the next one will break too.  As long as the lever doesn't self engage on while casting... why do you need it?

esox23
Posted 2/8/2011 4:28 PM (#480585 - in reply to #480568)

jlong - 2/8/2011 2:07 PM

Mine broke too.  Removed the pieces to avoid trashing the gears.  Opted to replace the spring this winter... but decided to operate without it.  Figured the next one will break too.  As long as the lever doesn't self engage on while casting... why do you need it?

Interesting thought about not replacing the spring at all, will look into that.

The spring issue isn't a design these reels are made for trolling and deep water jigging not repetitive casting, the springs will fatigue just like anything else.

Might be worth it to try and get your hands on the springs that are used in the non-levelwind reels they seem a bit more heavy duty, be careful though the post the spring sits on is part of the cast, break that and you'll be engineering something or buying a new reel . Also do yourself a favor and get a few or more extra springs because it will happen again.
gtp888
Posted 2/8/2011 6:13 PM (#480617 - in reply to #480585)

esox23 - 2/8/2011 4:28 PM
jlong - 2/8/2011 2:07 PM

Interesting thought about not replacing the spring at all, will look into that. The spring issue isn't a design these reels are made for trolling and deep water jigging not repetitive casting, the springs will fatigue just like anything else. Might be worth it to try and get your hands on the springs that are used in the non-levelwind reels they seem a bit more heavy duty, be careful though the post the spring sits on is part of the cast, break that and you'll be engineering something or buying a new reel . Also do yourself a favor and get a few or more extra springs because it will happen again.

This is an excellent point and one I brought up before when posting about the spring on mine breaking twice.  These reels simply aren't built to cast repeatedly. 

muskymandan
Posted 2/8/2011 6:52 PM (#480623 - in reply to #480473)

I opened up the saltist just a bit ago and as I suspected....Clutch Cam Spring
I think I am going to give the no spring idea a try unless someone has had a bad experience with doing that.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Clutch Cam Spring 1.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Clutch Cam Spring 2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Clutch Cam Spring 1.jpg (72KB - 335 downloads)
Attachments Clutch Cam Spring 2.jpg (90KB - 384 downloads)
Cowboyhannah
Posted 2/8/2011 10:58 PM (#480667 - in reply to #480473)
Subject: Re: Saltist 20 Clutch Cam Spring Problem

Nope, these reels are not made for what we are using them for..cast...cast...cast...cast...mine broke after a half season and it went through the gears...not good....Daiwa repaired at no cost...broke again and I removed it and used it without the spring for the second season w/o issues. The reel still works just fine.
kyleharty
Posted 2/9/2011 12:06 AM (#480672 - in reply to #480473)

I'm leaning towards getting one of these reels and am thinking a little ahead here but is there anything that needs to be done differently or be careful about running these reels without the spring if I find myself in that situation?
Cowboyhannah
Posted 2/9/2011 6:43 PM (#480842 - in reply to #480473)

Ummm...not really...the only difference is the lever is not as tight as when the spring is holding it in place. Operationally, functionally, no difference.
knooter
Posted 2/9/2011 7:36 PM (#480853 - in reply to #480473)

Is the Saltist LW manually engaged or auto? I used one awhile back and can't remember. Does removing this spring affect this, or make it manual? I'm thinking about getting one for my pounder rod.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 2/9/2011 9:30 PM (#480872 - in reply to #480473)

They are manual engage.
Sorgy
Posted 8/9/2011 7:11 PM (#511146 - in reply to #480872)

I have picked up a clutch cam spring and I am in the process of installing it and I cannot figure out exactly how it sits in there. Does anyone have a picture of a Saltist with a pic of the spring installed correctly? I picked up 3 springs for my 2 Saltist reels because I found the springs locally(Bass Pro Spring Lake Park).
There is one shown on a web page but I don't see how it hooks up in a LW30 TH.

Thanks for the help..

Steve
Sorgy
Posted 8/9/2011 8:48 PM (#511159 - in reply to #511146)

I got it fixed. there was only one way to mount it in there. It is all put back together and casting and retrieving well. Drag is solid.
The springs are like $3.00. I spent an hour or two puttzing with it and the next time will be about 30 minutes for tear down / clean lube and spring replacement. I had the plastic levelwind gear fail on my 20 and it is a simple fix as well. I will be picking up a few more spare parts and will be able to get one of these up and running in short order.
Here is a link to a nice tutorial for cleaning these reels up. My spring is turned upside down and facing the inside of the reel. There is also a small hole to insert the end of the spring in the side plate. I think the photo shows the spring upside down- don't hold me to it- but I think it is backwards in the photo.
Here is the link. http://www.sydneyangler.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=13180

Good Luck

Steve

p.s. tools used small flat head screwdriver, small phillips screwdriver and a needle nose.
Reel grease, Reel Oil and some papertowls.
I don't have a digital camera at the moment so no pics of my work this time.
jasonvkop
Posted 8/9/2011 10:11 PM (#511165 - in reply to #480473)

Can someone post a picture of the 20 next to a regular reel such as an Abu Garcia Record? I know the Saltists are big reels, but I just want to see how much bigger a 20 is than a normal reel.
muskie-addict
Posted 8/9/2011 11:43 PM (#511179 - in reply to #511165)

The 30 is a big reel, the 20 is nut much larger than a 6500, I'd say. Seems to sit a bit higher on the reel seat though. If I get handy in the garage, I'll attempt posting a photo on here again. Oddly, or at least to me it seems odd, as much of a size difference as there is between the 30 and 20 Diawas, I own both...... there's only ~ 1oz different in weight.

The above link takes you to instructions/pictures for tearing down a 30TH, or non-levelwind. Are the guts similar or the same for the levelwind 30HA model? Is the spring assembly the same?

Honestly, for how often these dumb things are breaking, and for what it sounds is a PITA 30 minute process in the house.....me wonders if just taking the spring out preemtively makes sense, just to prevent headaches. If it happens on the water, you're either doing all this out there....or retiring the reel for the day.
Sorgy
Posted 8/10/2011 7:00 AM (#511187 - in reply to #511179)

I have both the 20 and 30. I also own a bunch of 6500 C, 6500 C3 and 7000 reels. These reels can do things that the others cannot do. I just pulled the reel off and grabbed the 20 off another rod and continued fishing. I like to have someone fishing a dbl 10 and others mixing it up unless there is a distinct pattern on the dbl 10's. Thorne Bros. has the 20 and 30 on sale- must be a new design comming out soon. I think the price is closer to $140 for these reels now.
The other option for speed/ power is the Shimano reels for almost double the cost.

Anybody have a pic of the spring corretly installed in the LW 30 TH or LW 20 TH. Same guts inside.

Thanks

Steve

esox23
Posted 8/10/2011 9:29 AM (#511200 - in reply to #511187)

I do have pics on my camera at home of the 20LW, if i can find them I will post them.
JK
Posted 8/10/2011 11:05 PM (#511312 - in reply to #480473)

i absolutely love this really for pulling blades, even though they are technically trolling reels. I actually prefer it over my te for blades. Size wise about the same as a te. As far as the spring so far no trouble but I have a friend that has this happen to his reel. The easiest fix is to remove the spring and fish without it. He has been using it for almost two years with no spring and had no issues. I hear the newer model will have a beefed up spring to remedy this problem. Now all they need to do is make them in lefty.
muskie-addict
Posted 8/10/2011 11:20 PM (#511316 - in reply to #511312)

JK - 8/10/2011 11:05 PM

Now all they need to do is make them in lefty.

And with a self-engaging spring.

Sealine and Accudepths have this, don't understand why the Saltist can't. Must be like the old diesel engine vs gas engine....fewer moving parts means fewer break downs thought process. Maybe one of the reel gearheads can explain it.

Some sort of a breaking system would be nice too. Perhaps this new and improved Saltist will have such things.
Sorgy
Posted 8/11/2011 5:54 AM (#511329 - in reply to #511316)

Addict,
My son picked up a Saltist this last weekend for the first time and he picked up on engaging the lever in no time at all.
The springs I picked up were the new heavy duty springs and they fit just a little differently than the old small springs. The old small springs hook on to the lever mechanisim from the bottom and the other end is supposed to go in a tiny hole on the reels side plate. The new spring doesn't stay in the original hole- I just have it placed just behind the original hole in the notch- The reel tech at Trails End Pro Bass shop in Fridley was going to drill a small hole back in the corner a little bit to hold the spring- I don't think it is needed. - Sorry no pics- They are also back ordered again on springs- I stopped and picked up a spare plastic gear for the levelwind- just incase one blows up again. On my Saltist 30 there was no wear on the plastic gear- it was in great shape. Parts are cheap and now I can fix most problems in a pinch.
Good Luck

Steve
stdevos
Posted 8/11/2011 6:53 AM (#511331 - in reply to #480473)

All this backorder stuff got me worried I'd be up a creek without a paddle, so I put in an order and got 3 in the mail from davesreelservice.com. 83 cents a piece and I had them in a few days if anybody else is looking for them.

Sounds like I could have just gone without it though...
leech lake strain
Posted 8/12/2011 4:03 PM (#511552 - in reply to #480473)

so how often are the plastic level wind gears wearing out?
addict
Posted 8/12/2011 9:19 PM (#511588 - in reply to #480473)

Sorgy-

I've got two saltists....I know how to use them. I'm glad your son does too.

Point being is that Diawa makes other reels that have a self engage. What's the deal with the saltist? Honestly, my saltist is not a pinpoint casting reel. Between the touchy spool tension and the extra nanosecond it takes to manually flip the lever, its not the best reel in my lineup for dart throwing a bucktail into the branches of a downed tree and getting the blades turning NOW before it gets hung up. I get out my Cabo or one of the old 6500s for that kinda job. For open water basin bombing or random weedbed fishing....not a problem.

-Eric
PIKEMASTER
Posted 8/12/2011 10:38 PM (#511597 - in reply to #511312)

JK - 8/10/2011 11:05 PM

i absolutely love this really for pulling blades, even though they are technically trolling reels. I actually prefer it over my te for blades. Size wise about the same as a te.

The TE is 12.8oz and the Saltist 20 is 18.5oz, the 30 is 19.4oz and the 40 is a just a little more then a TE, LOL, LOL, LOL, at 23.1oz !!!!!!!!!

Y would U want to use a reel like this all day ????
All Saltist reels sit very high on the reel seat, so unless U have very very big hands, U are not palm this reel.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)