Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Pomme de Terre and Fall Musky Fishing

Message Subject: Pomme de Terre and Fall Musky Fishing
Larry J
Posted 9/27/2006 11:11 PM (#211271)
Subject: Pomme de Terre and Fall Musky Fishing

I have a 4-day trip planned for Pomme on the first weekend in October. Can I get some tips? Any hot spots, recommended areas, types of cover, lures, etc. would be helpful. Thanks....
Ranger
Posted 9/28/2006 3:18 AM (#211276 - in reply to #211271)
Subject: RE: Pomme de Terre and Fall Musky Fishing

Where's Pomme de Terre? MO, right?
Allstate48
Posted 9/28/2006 4:14 AM (#211277 - in reply to #211271)

They have their own web site. There's names on it to contact. Good lake, good luck. Doug
Missouri Wayne
Posted 9/28/2006 7:51 AM (#211300 - in reply to #211271)

Muskies Inc chapter has their fall tournament that weekend. Should have about 60 boats. See where they are all fishing and fish the same spots. Almost any lure will work at that time of year, just have to keep trying to see what works best. Water temp should be around 70 F. Multiple boats have had multiple fish days in the past week.
www.missourimuskies.org
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 9/28/2006 6:38 PM (#211483 - in reply to #211271)

shad this year are smaller than average,i would recommend your six inch baits or smaller for the best bite!!! bass fisherman have been doing better at muskies than us,until you downsize!!! you have heard about the tournament for that weekend (im lucky to fish the mess!!! ha!!!) it will be a busy weekend with that and the local bass clubs. i would fish later or before that weekend to have some room to yourself!!! im on the lake about once a week,so if you have any more ?,feel free to ask!!!! fred
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 9/28/2006 6:50 PM (#211485 - in reply to #211271)

another thing larry, no weed beds on pomme,but lots of brush and trees!!! if you troll,be careful out there. there is submerged trees and crappie beds that love our lures!!! try bouncing crankbaits of the bottom while trolling,and use colors similar of baitfish.these fish see lures all year around!!! one fall day a couple years ago,i used a shallow invader and just flat out reeled it in as fast as i could with a high speed reel and had three fish in 40 minutes!!! havent done it since!!!
Larry J
Posted 10/8/2006 8:33 PM (#213389 - in reply to #211271)

Had a great time at Pomme....recommend the lake highly! Beautiful, clear, pretty area to fish.

Fished Thursday and Friday, didn't make it on Saturday. Thursday was the best of the two days, was cloudy all day and the wind kept blowing. Friday was a bright sunny day, not much wind, and lots of boats hammering on the musky for day 1 of a 3-day local musky tournament.

One thing for sure, the shad spawn must have been a really good one. We saw enoumous schools of shad all over the lake. If you pull into a cove, and it's a little sheltered from the wind, the bait fish cover the entrie area. Impressive! As someone noted above, the spawn must have been late (or there was a second spawn) so the majority of the schools of bait-fish are in the 2" to 3" range.

Thursday was our best day. Had a dozen follows (that I could see), and had 4 different fish on. Unfortunately, all came unbottoned at the boat so I got no pictures....I call it a Missouri "quick release". Nearly every fish I saw on Thursday was in the mid 30's, and I had a follow from one over 40. The fish were definitely shallow, and everything we saw was in 3' or less water, and all were holding on wood cover. A few were on pole timber in shallow water, but the majority were on or under stumps. We saw several fish on a big shallow area called Martin Flat. Up on the flat are several stumps, and each had fish on them.

Even though the weather wasn't cooperating, we boated 2 musky's. One was 36", and the other was 29". The 36" was caught by my dad on a flat point near a river channel drop off. I was fishing a stump near the top of the flat, and he caught the musky out the other side of the boat in slightly deeper water. Had been seeing a ton of shad on the point, and I guess the 36'er was feeding. The 29" came off shallow water as well near a stump. I lost a good one that came off a stump that had to be in 1' of water. Saw the fish come out, chase the lure, then strike. Hit really short, was sort of a turning hit versus the usual T-bone strike. Must have been just playing with it's food then!

I watched 2 guys in a deep bottom aluminum boat catch a 40'ish fish trolling Grandma lures. It was their second fish of the day, and I saw they troll the same flat points in the Lindy Arm the rest of the day. Interestingly, after they boated the 40's fish, they had it out of ther water for at least 5 minutes. Took way too much time, fiddle farted around way too long. Hope the fish made it....some guys don't have a clue. Guess being a tournament angler doesn't make you a good fisherman!

Best baits? Minnonw lures in 6" or less. Lost the best one on a Novak in foil shad color.

Would be happy to share waypoints, map locations, etc. with fellow anglers....

Larry J
Muskie Bob
Posted 10/8/2006 10:19 PM (#213417 - in reply to #213389)

Let me know if you would like other popular spots on Pomme de Terre.

Martins Flats is probably one of the most productive spots, which makes it very popular.

As to the large school of shads, they seem to be that way the last 6 or 7 years. I'm hoping the white bass will recover and discover the shad.

I was there last Thursday and went to Martins Flats around noon after the wind died down. However, my trolling motor batteries went dead. The bass were more active for me as they were willing to hit a top water similar to top raider, which the muskies seemed to like a couple of days before. I just love to fish top water.

Anyway, some of the popular lures are smaller inline bucktails and spinner baits, grandma,
radtke's pike minnow, believers, bill norman deep diver, super shad, monster shad. I also like Mann's super stretch minus lure.

I'm headed back to the lake tomorrow morning for a couple of days. The muskies should be turning back on with the cold (possible some rain) coming in.

missourimuskyhunter
Posted 10/9/2006 12:52 PM (#213529 - in reply to #211271)

if you have any more ? about the lake let me know,im 45min. from there and get over often!!
Larry J
Posted 10/9/2006 8:59 PM (#213639 - in reply to #213417)

Musky Bob, please email me at [email protected]. Would like more Pomme info, am really interested in fishing the lake more for musky and bass. Maybe we can trade info for other lakes as well....

Larry
Larry J
Posted 10/9/2006 9:01 PM (#213642 - in reply to #211271)

When I mentioned minnow baits, I was referring to the Mann's Stretch 1 Minus....both in the bass size and the 6" musky version. The lure has a silver'ish side and a blue back....very shad like....
Doug
Posted 2/15/2012 9:54 AM (#538905 - in reply to #213417)

Looking for information for mid March. I have not fished Pomme for many years but would like to try it for musky. I have a group of 4 heading down for three days and would like to get any helpful hints as far as lake areas, baits, techniques that might help.
Thanks
Dunlap
Posted 2/15/2012 1:16 PM (#538949 - in reply to #211271)

Try to get in touch with Matt Gunkle .... I don't know him personally, but he knows that lake pretty well and seems to wear the muskies out from what I hear.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)