Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Rules of Manhood #9: It is permissible to drink a fruity alcohol drink only when you're sunning on a tropical beach... and it's delivered by a topless supermodel ... and it's free.
- (Added by: Snowcrest 6)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> school of swimbaits ( video )

Message Subject: school of swimbaits ( video )
jrhopkins
Posted 8/12/2011 8:16 AM (#511476)
Subject: school of swimbaits ( video )

wanted to try this to see if it would work. not practical for a fishing rig but it looks pretty cool
baits are 4" not painted yet. thought the white would show up better in the water, wrong!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU5R3afNlsg
sKunKt
Posted 8/12/2011 10:22 AM (#511495 - in reply to #511476)
Subject: Re: school of swimbaits ( video )

it does look cool
Lunge Master
Posted 8/13/2011 4:14 PM (#511646 - in reply to #511476)

Oh man that just gave me a head full of ideas!

This has been done in salt water and for salmonids for decades, why not muskies?
jakejusa
Posted 8/15/2011 1:00 PM (#511866 - in reply to #511476)
Subject: RE: school of swimbaits ( video )

check your laws if there's hooks on all of them the law won't allow in some states.
jrhopkins
Posted 8/22/2011 9:36 PM (#513031 - in reply to #511866)
Subject: RE: school of swimbaits ( video )

jakejusa - 8/15/2011 11:00 AM

check your laws if there's hooks on all of them the law won't allow in some states.

thats why i said it wasn't practical. probably illegal in a lot of states. just did it to see if they would swim together without getting tangled.
Trollindad
Posted 8/23/2011 11:50 AM (#513110 - in reply to #511476)

legal depends on # of hooks. I tried this years ago and made all of the lures hookless except 1 that I had trailing a foot behind the school that I thought they would target. It works, but they don't always hit the one with hooks...... and it makes a huge mess when a mid 30's goes balistic with your set-up. I also tried using a downrigger clip to have the trailer pop free after the strike..... It was a fun experiment........ good luck!
The Toad
Posted 8/28/2011 8:57 AM (#514013 - in reply to #513110)

I tried this too with a striper umbrella rigged with rubber squirrely tale jigs with no hooks and with a legend perchbait behind it. Put the jigs on with 30 test because I didn't want to get a jig snagged and lose the whole thing. But the first time out when I was trolling, I kept feeling little sharp rips on the line, and thought it was snagging weeds or bottom. Then I suddenly felt a real pull and had a fish on. So it worked, but barely, because the jumps the fish was doing with the rig between me and the fish put too much slack in the line that I couldn't control and could have cost me the fish. It also was a pain landing the fish, and if I had put hooks in the other baits it would have been a mess and could easily have hurt the fish's chances of getting away. When we released it, I found out that the sharp little rips were the muskie pulling off the little jigs one by one. So it works, but kind of a pain. I have only done it a few times since, with no more luck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)