Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "In a few hours this place will be crawling with humans" Larry Dahlberg-Hunt For Big Fish
- (Added by: Rudedog)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> weighting wood blanks?

Message Subject: weighting wood blanks?
knooter
Posted 6/30/2011 9:05 PM (#505171)
Subject: weighting wood blanks?

I'm looking for some ideas on weighting baits that doesn't include pouring hot lead. I hate dealing with hot lead and it's hard to be real consistent with the weighting.

I've thought about getting some leadshot and weighing a scoop before pouring it into the hole and filling with epoxy. While this would be easy, it doesn't appear to be the most cost effective method.

I then thought about getting some 2 oz sinkers and drilling out the extra lead until I get the exact weight I need. Again, not cost effective.

Anybody have a better idea, or am I stuck with pouring the lead?

SolarFall
Posted 7/1/2011 9:45 AM (#505230 - in reply to #505171)
Subject: Re: weighting wood blanks?

i do it like this.. you need some hardwood that can take some heat something like maple then you just take 2 boards and put them together and clamp then tightly together then you just drill hole(s) with the desired diameter witch your planning to use.
drill a hole in the middle of the 2 boards thus creating a sort of a lead bar mold. the holes have to be centered that your able to take the lead bar out from the mold when you have poured it in the mold. very simple and works great
-mikko
Landonfish
Posted 7/1/2011 10:46 AM (#505244 - in reply to #505171)

I buy egg sinkers whatever size you want. Drill out hole drop in and epoxy very efficient and easy.
bowhunter29
Posted 7/1/2011 1:44 PM (#505282 - in reply to #505171)

I also use egg sinkers. By far the easiest method for me.

jeremy
knooter
Posted 7/1/2011 2:52 PM (#505293 - in reply to #505171)

I need to add about 1.75 oz front and back. If I use egg sinkers it will cost over a buck a bait. Lead ingots are a buck a pound. Quite a difference. I may just pour my own egg sinkers, since I have the mold for it. I'm just tired of pouring lead.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)