Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> New 1760 GT Steering tourque?

Reply New post
Message Subject: New 1760 GT Steering tourque?
Farmer Rick
Posted 5/22/2011 6:06 PM (#499455)
Subject: New 1760 GT Steering tourque?

Picked up the new boat last weekend and spent all week planting corn which is good but all I gould do was think about getting that boat on the water. Well forcast for today was WINDY and the lake I planned on breaking the motor in on is 11 thousand acres running right with the wind I decided to head to a smaller lake to cruise around on. We did have some pretty good rollers on the open part of the lake, maybe 2 footers in the roughest spots. The boat cruised right through them with hardly a bounce. It was fantastic! I would have not even been out there in my old magnum and found myself not wanting to find calmer water...

She popped up on plane in under 5 seconds and and would cruise as low as 17 mph on plane which will be nice.

However the steering tourqe was unbelievable. I would guess that it was pulling 40lbs or so. Wanting to turn the boat to the right taking the handle away from me. The boat also leaned greatly to the left side. Had the guy with me move to the right side and that leveled it out but he should have to bee on the same side as me to he level. Anyhow the tab above the prop is aiming almost straight maybe with the back edge a little to the left like this (/) I am guessing that it should be going the other direction like (\) to make the tiller handle want to go more to the right to make the boat go left. How far ( I know it will be trial and error) do I need to move it for starting point or do I need to go the other way? When I trimmed up it got better but was so bad coming out of the hole with motor all the way down I would not let a novice drive it until I get this figured out...

Thanks
Rick
sworrall
Posted 5/22/2011 6:39 PM (#499458 - in reply to #499455)
Subject: Re: New 1760 GT Steering tourque?

Questions first:
What pitch and model prop is on the boat?
Where is the cavitation plate when the engine is trimmed all the way down in relationship to the bottom of the boat at the center?
Did you tighten the steering tensioner some, or could it be described as 'loose'?

Did you try to dive the boat trimmed all the way down wide open throttle? That boat needs to be trimmed up as you throttle up.

Call Mike tomorrow and he'll help walk you through this.
Farmer Rick
Posted 5/22/2011 6:58 PM (#499459 - in reply to #499455)

Steve,

Its a 16 P vengance.
There are two cavitation plates. The bottom( main one) is about even with the bottom of the boat. I cant trim all the way down while on the trailer but close. The torque was better when trimmed up some but I was running the break in for the first hour and had the motor all the way down like the manual said. I had to tighten the tensioner almost as tight as I could to get it to keep the motor from flipping to the left (boat turning right).
Thanks
Rick
sworrall
Posted 5/22/2011 7:14 PM (#499461 - in reply to #499455)

OK, give your dealer a call and I'll do the same to get the torque fixed up. Couple adjustments should get it done.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)