Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> HDS question

Reply New post
Message Subject: HDS question
Reef Hawg
Posted 5/8/2011 3:36 PM (#497408)
Subject: HDS question

I am having trouble with my hds 7 gps not updating(map) as quickly as my lcx. The 1 per second my lcg 2000 has afforded me with that unit has always been more than sufficient for what I do. One of the reasons I went with the hds up front other than it being a replacement for my 27c, was that it didn't need a puck, and my position accuracy will be improved between two units without adding another. Now that the unit proves to update so very slowly, I decided to hook it up to the puck, and it is still slower to the point of troublesome. I see there is a new 4.0 update for the software. I wonder if my issue will be resolved with this, or if I should expect this speed from this unit. Again, it isn't an issue with the puck as the lcx is quick as a cat when hooked up to it. Can someone walk me through the settings to perhaps improve this? The book I got with it doesn't talk about it. I won't buy another puck so that is out of the question. Has anyone had this issue?
jeff anderson
Posted 5/8/2011 4:20 PM (#497410 - in reply to #497408)
Subject: RE: HDS question

You need to check which version or update you have. Last year some of my HDS 7s were lacking the upgrade. I have a Navionics chip and a bunch of Lakemaster chips. The Navionics chip was painfully slow. As soon as I put the new upgrade on that speeded everything up a lot not only on the Navionics chip, but also the Lakemaster chips. I have yet to do the 4.0 upgrade but will be doing that soon.

Jeff
TJ DeVoe
Posted 5/8/2011 8:28 PM (#497450 - in reply to #497408)
Subject: Re: HDS question

Jeff is right on. The updates are a must, don't ignore them.

If you go on Lowrance.com, under the downloads, it tells you what the upgrade improves, FYI.
Reef Hawg
Posted 5/8/2011 10:01 PM (#497476 - in reply to #497408)

Thanks guys. I think I had the 3.5 update, and will move up to the 4.
jwelch
Posted 5/8/2011 10:56 PM (#497489 - in reply to #497408)

I would definitely do the 4.0 update. Mine has always updated fine but the new 4.0 is suppose make your units quicker. Also, if you have structure scan, they added a 3 way split screen for the structure scan, which looks pretty neat Should make reading side scan easier while in multiple screens easier.

Jeremy
Captain
Posted 5/9/2011 8:19 AM (#497519 - in reply to #497408)

Heres a question I have about my HDS 7. I cant get the fish ID with depths to show up. I dont use it very often because you lose some of the other details by putting that feature on, but when I go into settings and change the FishID to "Both" (depth and fishid) nothing changes.

What am I doing wrong? The kids like to see the little fish pictures otherwise they think we are wasting our time.
Captain
Posted 5/9/2011 8:31 AM (#497525 - in reply to #497519)

I should add that I even put it in Simulator mode and it wouldnt show it there either. Has me stumped.
esoxfly
Posted 5/9/2011 8:31 AM (#497526 - in reply to #497408)

Just be advised with the 4.0 it'll "stunt" your Structure Scan range to whatever it was before you installed it. There's alot of guys on BBC right now with their range stuck at 60 or 80. Supposedly the fix is to go into freshwater mode instead of shallow water mode.

Also some guys are seeing "MORE" trolling motor interference from the update that was supposed to fix that. I've not installed mine yet, but if I do, it'll only be on my console unit and only after I put my LSS on 400'! lol

Other than that, it sounds to be pretty decent. I guess loading it onto the chip itself can be an issue, and guys are having trouble with that, but there's a pretty good tutorial on lowrance.com that will walk you through it if you follow it exactly.
ttrap
Posted 5/9/2011 3:03 PM (#497579 - in reply to #497408)

Okay well my post that got deleted was just a joke I guess it went too far for some. I wouldn't update to the 4.0 from what I have read on several other forums. Like said above there are several know issues with this update that most users seem very upset about.
Reef Hawg
Posted 5/9/2011 4:05 PM (#497586 - in reply to #497408)

Quick question for those who run an HD with the 3.5 update and have run LCX units in the past. Are you having the charting update speed issues that I speak of ie the lcx units were lightening fast when making turns or trying to hone in on a waypoint compared to the new ones. I can't beleive this wouldn't be a problem for others, and I just wonder if mine could be an isolated case.
jeff anderson
Posted 5/9/2011 4:23 PM (#497592 - in reply to #497408)

I still have a LCX unit. I also have 3 HDS 7s with the 3.5 upgrade. I haven't seemed to notice the issue you are talking about. I actually feel the HDS is faster than my LCX. I haven't had the need for the external antenna either as that was an initial concern when I went to the HDS over a LCX unit with an external puck. I wonder if their is another issue affecting the speed?

You might try a different lake chips if you are using mapping chips such as Navionics or Lakemaster to see if you get a different result and better speed. Doubtful, but maybe the chip is giving you the issues?
Reef Hawg
Posted 5/9/2011 4:47 PM (#497596 - in reply to #497592)

Good point Jeff, first off I'll take the chip right out and monitor response time. then I'll go through my other chips. I guess I'll try the 4.0 to see if it helps, but I do see where the update specifically notes additional charting speed with Navionics and Insight, but I don't see anything regarding Lakemaster(which I use most frequently on the local pond).

I'll check back in once I do the update, and check the various chips.

Thanks again.

Jason Schillinger
esoxfly unlogged.
Posted 5/9/2011 5:21 PM (#497599 - in reply to #497408)

I've got 3.5 and my HDS are a bit slower than my LCX as far as in turns and sometimes the soundings on my charts don't even load. I'm skeptical of 4.0 because 3.5 and whatever was before it, 3.1 or 2.1 or whatever was also supposed to increase usability with Navionics as well and look where we're still at. And before this gets deleted, this isn't a Lowrance slam! I love Lowrance!

What chip are you running...specifically? I went from a Platinum down to a Premium and it's helped some on 3.5. The Platinum just has too much stuff on it to load quickly; even if you're not in photo overlay mode, it's a huge chip. JMO.
jwelch
Posted 5/9/2011 9:40 PM (#497628 - in reply to #497599)

i sure hope the bugs in 4.0 aren't true. I updated mine but I really haven't been out on the water with them yet. i played with them a little after updating and they seemed faster. Start up was alot faster and check some of the features that were new and they seem to work as good or better than before. Can't say anything about the trolling motor interference yet. Going try to get the boat out weds. maybe I can say for sure afterwards.

Jeremy
Reef Hawg
Posted 5/10/2011 6:33 AM (#497655 - in reply to #497408)

I have actually been running the Lakemaster WI chip lately, but also run the Navionics Premium north chip.
esoxfly
Posted 5/10/2011 9:18 AM (#497679 - in reply to #497628)

jwelch - 5/9/2011 10:40 PM

i sure hope the bugs in 4.0 aren't true.

Sadly, they're very true. But if you don't have LSS or TM mounted sonar, I imagine the impact would be minimal. And I don't know if ALL downloads are having the poor affects. All I can say is that there are a ton of guys on BBC who are having issues. The interference issue appears to be a problem. But apparently the LSS issue is resolved or mitigated by going to freshwater mode, vs shallow water mode. But now I'm reading some guys saying that their units default to shallow water mode by default now on every start up. And again, this isn't a Lowrance bash, so please don't delete it. I do honestly love my Lowrance.

But I have also read some guys say their response time is quicker with the new update. I'll probably wait for a while to install it. I've always said I never install an update unless I "need" it to read a new card, as I did with my HDS8 (3.5) to read my '11 chip.

Edited by esoxfly 5/10/2011 9:22 AM
MuskyManiac09
Posted 5/11/2011 9:55 AM (#497850 - in reply to #497408)

Don't run the setup when you install 4.0 and it should keep all your settings the same.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)