Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> LOTW...minimum boat size?

Message Subject: LOTW...minimum boat size?
Great Big
Posted 3/23/2011 7:56 PM (#488517)
Subject: LOTW...minimum boat size?

I currently fish out of a Triton 17 Explorer, 90HP Merc(17'6" 86" beam, not sure of hull depth) which is my father's boat. I'd like to take him to LOTW next year, but not sure if we have enough boat to do this safely. Never fished it before and would like to give it a try. Based on the reports of the size, I'd imagine it could get fairly rough?

What are big swells at LOTW- 3' -4'-5'?

His boat is truly a bass boat and not deep like a Ranger 621, for example.

Thanks,

Buz
dougj
Posted 3/23/2011 8:10 PM (#488522 - in reply to #488517)
Subject: RE: LOTW...minimum boat size?

It sort of depends on how hard the wind blows. There's lots of islands, but also some big open spots. If the winds are less than say around 15-20 MPH or less you should be fine. Getting into the 20 MPH range you will want to avoid the big open stuff. At 25 MPH you should be very carefull and stay close to camp. At 30+ MPH stay home.

I started fishing the LOTWs with a 16' Crestliner with an 18 HP Evinrude, and I survived.

Doug Johnson

muskie! nut
Posted 3/23/2011 8:42 PM (#488528 - in reply to #488517)
Subject: Re: LOTW...minimum boat size?

If you head out on Minnesota, then it may be an issue. Big Traverse Bay is pretty big. All other parts of the lake, like the previous poster says has islands and you should be fine.
wisriverrat
Posted 3/23/2011 9:09 PM (#488537 - in reply to #488517)

I have a Alumacraft Mag 175 with a 80hp yamaha 4 stroke that I have used the last 2 years on LOTW and had no problems, even on windy days
jerken jimi
Posted 3/24/2011 6:55 AM (#488571 - in reply to #488537)

You will be fine with that boat.. The big pond can get rollen,but taking it easy & using common sense & you are in for a treat , If anything you should be more concerned about the rock's...MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD DETAILED MAP,of the area you are planning on hitting.& ALWAYS REFER TO THE MAP WHEN EXPLORING!! This will be are 11th straight year goen..endless water & sky..& SKIES!!!
Great Big
Posted 3/24/2011 7:16 AM (#488579 - in reply to #488571)

Thanks guys. I looked up an Alumacraft 175, similar in size to what I am fishing out of.

Appreciate it.
Almost-B-Good
Posted 3/24/2011 7:43 AM (#488586 - in reply to #488517)

I'd go fish it with that boat, but you have to realize there may be days where you are limited to the areas you can fish. As Doug says, the open stretches can get rolling something fierce when the wind starts howling, but there are always places to fish. Maybe not the best areas, but places to fish where you always have a better chance than sitting on the couch.

Running a boat in rough water is a skill you learn. The more you do it the more comfortable you are and the smaller the boat you can safely use. It's not about speed, but keeping water out of the boat where it belongs. There have been a lot of times I was running with the nose into the waves at about 10 mph trying to keep the nose as high as possible for a four mile stretch or more to get to a sheltered fishing area when I used a smaller boat. We used 14 footers on Lake Michigan and Lac Seul when I started fishing. We had to come back home in waves that hit the 4 foot level on ocassion and although it was uncomfortable, it was doable. Listen to the weather before you go out and make plans accordingly so the wind is helping you.

Edited by Almost-B-Good 3/24/2011 7:47 AM
Posted 3/24/2011 11:17 AM (#488631 - in reply to #488517)

The first 4 years on LOTW I used a 16' sea nymph with a 40HP tiller. Like Doug said, it all depends on the wind. Of those 4 years I think I failed to get out fishing 2 or 3 days.
The real problem most people have with small boats is with trolling motors running out of juice before the end of the day. If you have a 24V system, not a problem. If you have a 12V system then either add another battery in parallel or have a spare in the boat.
Ed
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)