Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> HDS - Sirius Radar Weather in Canada - Does it work?

Reply New post
Message Subject: HDS - Sirius Radar Weather in Canada - Does it work?
esoxross
Posted 3/25/2011 10:06 AM (#488819)
Subject: HDS - Sirius Radar Weather in Canada - Does it work?

Hi, looking for input form someone with the Lowrance HDS units and the Sirius Weather service (weather radar with the LWX-1 antenna add-on). 

I'm wanting to know if it works in Canadaian waters like LOTW - Kenora area or Eagle Lake.  If you have this setup and can advise it would be appreciated. 

ande
Posted 3/25/2011 5:05 PM (#488915 - in reply to #488819)
Subject: RE: HDS - Sirius Radar Weather in Canada - Does it work?

I have the sirus radar weather. It works around nestor falls up towards the angle. It has also shown thunderstorms when zoomed out over Minaki, Eagle, and Lac Suel while my boat was positioned on LOTW. I have attatched a couple of LOTW screen shots for you taken from my HDS unit. I probably should have taken a few screen shots of approaching storms, but then I am likely fishing hard or getting ready to leave.

For those who read this I post I sure like the Sirus weather option. Last year I had a guest out fishing with some rather unstable weather. My guest had forgotten to bring his rain gear. I was able to see approaching storms and make it to shore just in time on several occassions and kept him dry. It also let me know where the lightning strikes were and approaching wind changes so that I could be on the spots I wanted for a wind switch.

While all these new technologies cost some money; it is my feeling I want to take every advantage I can on the water. In my younger days I caught a lot of fish out of a 14' lund with a 9 horse motor and a green box. If I had the new technologies back then I imagine my production would have been even better. After having structure scan and sirus weather I wouldn't want to own a boat that doesn't have those two features because of some of the advantages they provide in locating fish and timing weather systems.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(002.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(003.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 002.jpg (44KB - 158 downloads)
Attachments 003.png (145KB - 150 downloads)
esoxross
Posted 3/29/2011 6:24 PM (#489674 - in reply to #488819)

Thanks for the reply. I also talked to a Lowrance regional rep and he also confirmed this. Great deal! Thanks again,

ande
Posted 3/29/2011 7:09 PM (#489683 - in reply to #489674)

you are welcome.

Last year one day on LOTW we noticed storms that appeared to be coming our way with a fair amount of lightning. It kind of gave me peace of mind watching their travel direction on the GPS. The skirted us just to the north and we stayed dry.

Also if you get what I think is the mariner package you can click on different icons on your gps when zoomed out and it will give you the weather. It will also pop up watches and warnings.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)