Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> what map chip do you prefer and why??

Reply New post
Message Subject: what map chip do you prefer and why??
Muskydr
Posted 3/13/2011 1:31 PM (#486774)
Subject: what map chip do you prefer and why??

A friend of mine just bought a new Hummingbird 598 series and asked me what chip to buy, please help em out with your info, thanks All!!
muskydeceiver
Posted 3/13/2011 1:58 PM (#486786 - in reply to #486774)
Subject: RE: what map chip do you prefer and why??

I was looking at this unit this weekend. I was told the Lakemaster chip allows you to highlight specific depths if there is something you want to concentrate on. Say a weededge along a break stops consistently at 17 feet. You can highlight that to make it easier to glance at the unit and tell if you are on track or not. Navionics I believe has more lakes per chip, but Lakemaster has more detail the way I understand it. I currently have a Navionics chip that is a nice chip, but some lakes it is way off. If I go Hummingbird I will be getting Lakemaster chips.

Edited by muskydeceiver 3/13/2011 1:59 PM
BNelson
Posted 3/13/2011 2:02 PM (#486789 - in reply to #486774)
Subject: Re: what map chip do you prefer and why??

none... mapping out a lake with your own icons is far more accurate than any chip.... I haven't put in a lakemaster/nav chip in my unit in yrs
Posted 3/13/2011 2:04 PM (#486791 - in reply to #486774)

Humminbird doesn't make a 598. Do you mean a 958?

http://store.humminbird.com/category/63374/900_Series
shaley
Posted 3/13/2011 2:21 PM (#486796 - in reply to #486791)

I own both chips and only use the Navionics now, I do run Lowrance HDS units though. I chose Navionics due to it covers all the waters I fish in 2-3 different states rather than having to but 3 seperate chips. I also prefer the Navionics over LM on Vermilion in MN.
Dave Williamson
Posted 3/13/2011 9:39 PM (#486896 - in reply to #486774)

If you have the cash, I would buy them both. Depending on the body of water lakemaster might be better on one then Navionics and it might be totally different on on another body of water.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 3/13/2011 9:43 PM (#486900 - in reply to #486774)

I prefer the Navionice Platinum. It's been very good on all the lakes I fish in WI but also very good on Lake Vermilion and same goes for the Canada chip on the Canada waters I fish.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 3/13/2011 10:22 PM (#486913 - in reply to #486774)

I like the Lakemaster chips with my HB as they offer exclusively for HB three really cool features: Water Level Offset, Shallow Water Highlight, and Depth Range Highlight. Here is a demo that explains Lakemaster on the HB. Go to 3:12 on the video this is where the explanation of these features begins. With varying water levels, I've found the offset feature very nice. Also, the depth range highlight is great as it makes it easier to keep your boat on the right place of the break and aides in anticipating turns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVbUTXcdd-A
Esox-Hunter
Posted 3/14/2011 1:58 PM (#487001 - in reply to #486913)

I have an HB and run lake master. Really like all the features they have.
sixdeucers
Posted 3/14/2011 4:43 PM (#487023 - in reply to #486774)

Lakemaster. Especially since your running a Humminbird.
The Stik
Posted 3/14/2011 9:35 PM (#487106 - in reply to #486774)

I have both, but I use the Lakemaster nearly all the time. Having Humminbird makes getting a Lakemaster chip a no brainer decision. With the highlight features and +/- depth off set you will like it much better.

Jason
Ben Olsen
Posted 3/14/2011 11:53 PM (#487141 - in reply to #486774)

Lowrance=navionics
Bird=lakemaster
I run both brands of chips and graphs. I don't trust either of 'em! The new Lakemaster features on the HB fix my original complaints about visibility. Love the navionics for finding inside edges(but that's a secret)
Junkman
Posted 3/15/2011 8:06 PM (#487283 - in reply to #487141)

Couple of thoughts. First, don't think you can take your chip out of your old Lowrance and put it in your new Bird. You have to buy a chip made for Birds. Next, a four state Navionics chip might have the same amount of data a one state Lakemaster has. So, you are likely to have a whole lot more info PER LAKE with the one state chip. That matters to me. Last, I really value the feature that allows you to input the lake level up or down related to full pool and then have all the contour lines become accurate. Really helps in not hitting the bottom! Marty Forman
bait bulger
Posted 3/16/2011 10:37 AM (#487345 - in reply to #486774)

We use both chips. Navionics - on the console for navigation/travel and Lake Master on the bow for pin point. On the Lowrance LCX-37 the Lake Masters have a ton of detail with one foot contours that can be too busy while traveling - that is why we like the Navi there. On spot - it seems as if the Lake Master shows more hazards and the extra contours are really nice. Both of the chips have been right on - and well off. Helped us find and avoid hazards, but also missed a few. When easing into a new spot - my partner will typically jump up on the bow and watch the graph for hazards. The combination of the two chips has helped us avoid a few dings. Just our two cents.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)