Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Bloody fins = really stressed fish?

Message Subject: Bloody fins = really stressed fish?
Homer
Posted 11/15/2011 7:53 PM (#524779)
Subject: Bloody fins = really stressed fish?

I caught some fish in the past where the tail has started to bleed. A biologist I asked at the time suggested that it was a sign of a very stressed fish. I see many pictures as of late with these signs of stress, was I given wrong information or is this a real sign of stress? Thank you, H
Top H2O
Posted 11/15/2011 8:01 PM (#524780 - in reply to #524779)
Subject: RE: Bloody fins = really stressed fish?

Red fins = NORMAL!
Now, if they are Rainbow colored,........
archerynut36
Posted 11/15/2011 8:02 PM (#524781 - in reply to #524779)
Subject: Re: Bloody fins = really stressed fish?

thats pretty much right, but i have seen it on very lively fish , bigger fish and even smaller fish. they fight so hard that it makes them stress out. there is nothing that any of us can do for it. it just comes with the sport.. some of them do it and some dont.
Posted 11/15/2011 8:03 PM (#524782 - in reply to #524779)
Subject: RE: Bloody fins = really stressed fish?

If you are equating a stressed fish as as dead fish?

If you are not and are worried about stressing the fish, I think muskie fishing is not for you.
Homer
Posted 11/15/2011 9:10 PM (#524788 - in reply to #524779)

I am not personally worried about it. I changed things up to avoid this happening on the fish I catch. I was just curious if anyone else had been taught this. You get the muskie police out for how to hold, using plastics, using bait, trolling, transport, all sorts of issues. I was just curious if you actually can see signs of stress induced damage, visual proof why keep up with the bump board and pics? I thought perhaps the information that is was an indication of stress was incorrect. It was a question. It would not bother me if someone kept one, just seems silly to ignore signs if they are real. Thanks. H
esoxaddict
Posted 11/15/2011 9:53 PM (#524789 - in reply to #524788)

Ramming hooks through their faces and dragging them to the net against their will tends to cause some undue stress. Red fins are a result of thiat stress. Fins that are actually bleeding? Well, that's probably due to the net. Do I worry about it? I've got way more important things keeping me awake at night. I've accepted that the act of catching muskies causes them quite a bit of stress. The only way I've figured out to eliminate that is to stop fishing. I happen to LIKE fishing, so stopping just doesn't seem like a good move. I've caught a few fish with fish that were absulutely mangled. They appeared healthy, and to date none of them have actually complained about it, so I am guessing whatever fin damage occurs in the net is inconsequential to their survival, and their spiritual and emotional well being.

Even if I DO catch one that complains about the stress and bleeding fins, the only thing I'll be inclined to say is this:

"dude... you're a fish. You swim, you eat, you **** once a year, and that's the only god#*^@ thing you have to worry about in your life. Try being ME for week. I guarantee you you'll be crying for split fins as your only problem in life!"

I know you mean well. But seriously... Just go fishin' and don't worry about it.
jlong
Posted 12/28/2011 7:04 AM (#530326 - in reply to #524789)

Homer.... what did you change to prevent bleeding fins after capture? If my release technique can be improved, I'd like to learn. Thanks.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)