Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Predator Vs. Fishhawk vs. Dominator

Reply New post
Message Subject: Predator Vs. Fishhawk vs. Dominator
smbrickner
Posted 1/14/2011 8:08 AM (#475349)
Subject: Predator Vs. Fishhawk vs. Dominator

Here is the situation. I am trading in my 2001 Skeeter ZX 190 for a more 'family friendly boat'. I still want a primarily casting boat but I need to have at least 4 seats and I refuse to have a full windshield or dual console. I am looking at a Lund Predator 1810, a Fishhawk 1750 and a 1850, and a Alumacraft 175. Each one has advantages over the other. I am just wondering what other peoples experiences are.
KSauers
Posted 1/14/2011 8:22 AM (#475353 - in reply to #475349)
Subject: Re: Predator Vs. Fishhawk vs. Dominator

I think with the huge front deck of the Predator it would be less family friendly than the other 2. Less cockpit room for wife and kids. Check out the impact .Tons of room.
smbrickner
Posted 1/14/2011 8:53 AM (#475357 - in reply to #475349)
Subject: RE: Predator Vs. Fishhawk vs. Dominator

The kids wouldn't be on the front deck. It has 4 seats that is all I care about. The big front deck is a major plus for me.
The impact is a nice boat but the storage is better on the predator.
erico
Posted 1/14/2011 10:23 AM (#475380 - in reply to #475349)

I've got an Fishhawk 1850 single console with 4 seat for the wife and kids. This year we bought a tube for pulling the kids around which works good. The front deck is big, the tube sits flat in it. Fishing wise I like the boat, 2 guys can cast comfortably from the front deck, side lockers fit 8' rods, storage is ok, but as always wish I had more.

Got any specific questions on the 1850?
dward
Posted 1/14/2011 12:25 PM (#475403 - in reply to #475349)

I own an 1810 Predator and absolutely love it. I have small kids as well. I feel it's the best storage you can find in a boat (especially for a muskie fisherman). I also pulled kids on tube with a 115 HP Merc last summer and it worked just fine. if i could change one thing about the boat it would be it's beam. at 85" i wish it was a bit wider in the back. especially when i have wife and kids in the boat. however, most of the time i have 2-3 people and it works very well. Other than that, wouldn't change a thing about the boat or my purchase.
smbrickner
Posted 1/14/2011 3:40 PM (#475435 - in reply to #475349)

I wen't with the Lund. A little less rod storage than the other boats, but way more tackle storage which I like. Majority of the time it is just 2 guys in the boat so I felt this was the best fit.
Putting a 24V Powerdrive with I pilot on it. And humminbird electronics with gps and down imaging. Now just a 3 month wait for the ice to leave.
smbrickner
Posted 1/14/2011 4:17 PM (#475437 - in reply to #475403)

dward - 1/14/2011 12:25 PM

I own an 1810 Predator and absolutely love it. I have small kids as well. I feel it's the best storage you can find in a boat (especially for a muskie fisherman). I also pulled kids on tube with a 115 HP Merc last summer and it worked just fine. if i could change one thing about the boat it would be it's beam. at 85" i wish it was a bit wider in the back. especially when i have wife and kids in the boat. however, most of the time i have 2-3 people and it works very well. Other than that, wouldn't change a thing about the boat or my purchase.

What kind of speed do you get with just yourself and gear? I am putting on a 115 merc 4 stroke.
dward
Posted 1/14/2011 5:21 PM (#475447 - in reply to #475437)

Same exact setup as I, i hit that 41-43 range. Congrats,it's a great boat!
4reukmuskies
Posted 1/14/2011 6:16 PM (#475454 - in reply to #475349)

I have an 1850 Fish Hawk with a dual console and agree with what erico said. When I bought my boat last year, I had the same needs as you. I needed to be able to have the four seats in the main area, wanted good casting decks and ample storage. I went with the dual console for the wife and to me it doesn't take that much away from the space since the boat is plenty wide and the front deck is plenty large. We also bought a tube last year and with the 140 suzuki it pulls things just fine. For the money, I don't think you can go wrong. I also looked at the other brands and have always been partial to Lunds because my dad had them, but a friend of ours has a 20' Lund Pro V and my front deck is quite a bit more roomy that his.

All those brands are quality, so shop around and see what works best for you and the family.....After all they are the ones who allow us to do what we do so it's good to make them comfortable as well.

Good luck,

Edited by 4reukmuskies 1/14/2011 6:18 PM
fishwisconsin3
Posted 1/15/2011 10:02 AM (#475534 - in reply to #475349)

Just a heads up..... when having the iPilot on a Powerdrive V2 you are only able to use the iPilot and not the foot pedal. This is at least how it works for the model Powerdrive we bought last year so you might be better off spending some extra cash and getting a terrova where you can use both iPilot and foot pedal. The iPilot is fantastic but if it gets a little windy a foot pedal is much easier to control the boat with IMO.
Posted 1/15/2011 12:48 PM (#475554 - in reply to #475454)

4reukmuskies - 1/14/2011 6:16 PM

I have an 1850 Fish Hawk with a dual console and agree with what erico said. When I bought my boat last year, I had the same needs as you. I needed to be able to have the four seats in the main area, wanted good casting decks and ample storage. I went with the dual console for the wife and to me it doesn't take that much away from the space since the boat is plenty wide and the front deck is plenty large. We also bought a tube last year and with the 140 suzuki it pulls things just fine. For the money, I don't think you can go wrong. I also looked at the other brands and have always been partial to Lunds because my dad had them, but a friend of ours has a 20' Lund Pro V and my front deck is quite a bit more roomy that his.

All those brands are quality, so shop around and see what works best for you and the family.....After all they are the ones who allow us to do what we do so it's good to make them comfortable as well.

Good luck,

I have a dual console now and I hate it.
I wanted a tiller steer but lost that arguement with my wife. Single console was the compromise. As for the I pilot without the footpedal. I have the foot pedal and original head for the trolling motor yet. I am devising a quick change wiring system to be able to take the i pilot off if i don't want to use it.
Bob Gray
Posted 1/21/2011 11:24 PM (#476906 - in reply to #475349)

I also have the 1850 Fishawk single counsole. Like you, I needed something for double duty. I have the 115 merc 4 stroke and have no problem pulling tubes. It comfortably fishes 3 guys casting. The only complaint is I wish it had more storage....but all the open room kind of makes up for it.
Probably the best way to find what you like is to go to a large boat show and check them all out, hop into them, walk around and compare.
sworrall
Posted 1/22/2011 12:12 AM (#476910 - in reply to #475349)

Check this out:
http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/videos/01.21.2011/3167/Lund.Impact....
smbrickner
Posted 1/24/2011 1:14 PM (#477428 - in reply to #475349)

I bought the 2011. Don't think I would have been interested though. I have a dual console now and I hate it. Wanted a tiller steer but lost that arguement with my wife.
brmusky
Posted 1/28/2011 4:22 PM (#478383 - in reply to #475349)

I wanted a tiller and ended up with a single console. After having the single console for a few years and now that the kids are growing up enough to come with me more, I wish I had a double console. I feel guilty when they are sitting in the passenger seat getting wet and I am dry behind the windshield. The consoles don't take up enough space for me to think they aren't worth it anymore.
I hope you enjoy your new boat!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)