Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Tackle Industries Tele-Rods

Message Subject: Tackle Industries Tele-Rods
MuskyJ
Posted 1/26/2011 3:46 PM (#477942)
Subject: Tackle Industries Tele-Rods

Hi guys,

For those that have a Tackle Industries Telescopic Rod, how is the telescopic handled on these rods? Is it similar to the way Okuma does it or the way Tica does it. Just trying to understand how this is done on their rods, one system I love the other I'm not crazy about.

Thanks
CU301DSV
Posted 1/26/2011 3:59 PM (#477949 - in reply to #477942)
Subject: RE: Tackle Industries Tele-Rods

Not too sure what exactly you are asking. The rod telescopes down into the handle approx. an inch ahead of the fore grip. There's probably 13" of rod extended down into the handle to just behind the reel seat when fully extended to 9'. The rod telescopes down to 7'6".

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(photo-48.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments photo-48.jpg (103KB - 941 downloads)
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/26/2011 4:14 PM (#477954 - in reply to #477949)
Subject: Re: Tackle Industries Tele-Rods

Sorry but I am not sure how Tica or Okuma rods are made underneath.

On the Tackle Industries (TI) rods there is a section of hidden blank that forms the support structure when full extended and is tapered to give a lot of surface to surface contact. This allows maximum area between the hidden blank and the rod blank for maximum strength for casting. I have sold about 400 of these over the last 12 months and not one of the telescopic joints has frozen or broken yet. There are a few other things I have done to improve the telescopic design as well along with a completely customized blank which I designed with materials of my choosing, some not used in any other rods today. So far I think its working out well. Took a lot of weight off of these rods but did not sacrifice the durability, flex, etc in them. Wait until you see my new rods coming out in Spring!! 9' single piece rods with full 18" fat cork grips and soon after that in Summer I hope to have them in split grip too. Just for comparison, the weight on them will be almost identical to their equal power/length in a St. Croix rod. That will be 24 rod SKUs I will have. Need a new garage!!!
James
MuskyJ
Posted 1/26/2011 4:26 PM (#477963 - in reply to #477942)

Thanks for a quick response. And I'm sorry I didn't explain what I was asking clearly that's my fault.
I guess what I'm asking is when you extend the rod what holds the rod from moving when extended, is there a rubber grommet or does the diameter of the rod hold it in place.
I've seen some styles I don't care for and other that handle this process very nicely.

Thanks again
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/26/2011 5:06 PM (#477979 - in reply to #477942)

I do not use the rubber grommet. That can oxidize under high heat and use and renders the rod worthless in about 4-6 years. Mine is tapered with a thin coating of epoxy. I must admit, I had the advantage of seeing other brands that got it right and others that did not. I then changed a few small details from my research that made the telescopic function even better yet.
MuskyJ
Posted 1/26/2011 5:52 PM (#477990 - in reply to #477942)

Thanks for the quick responses.

Looks like I'll be buying a few of your rods very shortly. And after talking with a friend of mine so will he.

Thanks again
curleytail
Posted 1/26/2011 9:01 PM (#478022 - in reply to #477942)

James,
When you say the same weight as similar power/length St. Croix are you talking about the Legends? If so, those are pretty darn light rods! Never used one but handled a few in stores and they are light. Will be interested to see what your next lineup looks like.
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/26/2011 9:49 PM (#478034 - in reply to #478022)

I have a few prototypes but they are not perfect yet so the weight is still up in the air. Here is a good comparison thought. The Legend Big Nasty 9' H with split grip and is rated for lures 2-6oz rod weighs in at 10.7oz. My 9' MH split grip telescopic that is rated for lures 1-6oz is 10.7oz in weight.

For my full grip MH vs the Big Nasty Full grip I lose the battle. The St. Croix is 11.3oz and my MH 9' full grip is 12.7oz. In my defense though my cork is fatter I doubt most can feel a 1-2 oz weight difference in rods even through an entire day of use. More important is how the rod loads up and throws a lure. If that is off you will know it in about 1-2 hours of use and your body will tell you something is not quite right the next morning...

With all of this said, If I had the money I would buy a St. Croix in a second. They make a premium rod, great action, great company/brand and if you want the Ferrari of rods they have it. I think I have done alright though with my rods.

James
curleytail
Posted 1/26/2011 11:44 PM (#478053 - in reply to #477942)

James,
I might like to have a Ferrari someday, but I'm pretty happy with my Chevy! Great point about the action making the difference, not an ounce of weight here and there. Case in point, see how you feel after throwing a Pounder on a MH rod that weighs 10 oz vs an XH rd suited to it that weighs 13 oz. I would take a 13 oz rod any day.

I decided to order one of your split grips and have also talked my Dad into getting one too - same power and style but full grip. Can't wait to try them out this coming season!

curleytail
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/27/2011 6:40 AM (#478072 - in reply to #477942)

At least make me a Corvette vs a Ferrari
fish4musky1
Posted 1/27/2011 10:27 AM (#478099 - in reply to #477942)

curleytail, which rod did you get (xh or xxh)? I'm saving up for one now and just deciding which model to choose from.
curleytail
Posted 1/27/2011 10:29 AM (#478101 - in reply to #477942)

Musky1, I haven't ordered them yet, but probably will be sometime next week. Will let you know what I think when I get them! Will be ordering the 9' XH Telescopic. One split grip and one full grip.
CU301DSV
Posted 1/27/2011 10:30 AM (#478102 - in reply to #478099)

The one I recently got is an XXH. There's pictures of it in the Split Grip thread in this forum and the pic above by me.

fish4musky1
Posted 1/27/2011 12:13 PM (#478135 - in reply to #477942)

Thanks! I saw them at the Chicago musky show and was very impressed. I am pretty sure I'm going with the XH as well.
jackson
Posted 1/27/2011 12:41 PM (#478151 - in reply to #477942)

i can vouch for James telescopic rods. I have one that i bought last fall. They work very nicely and i haven't had any issues with 50 hours of fishing one. i was very surprised with the light weight vs my Okuam tele rod. that being said, i have a few St Croix rods, and although they are nice, to me James rods give you similar quality but at much less cost. If james can keep his prices down like he has now he will get alot of converts trust me.
curleytail
Posted 1/27/2011 12:52 PM (#478155 - in reply to #478072)

Tackle Industries - 1/27/2011 6:40 AM

At least make me a Corvette vs a Ferrari ;)

James, a Corvet IS a Chevy, so..... ;). I'll be excited to see these rods once I place my order.
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/27/2011 12:55 PM (#478157 - in reply to #478155)

I can't afford a Corvette either ;( 1980 Chevy Luv pickup is about it. The official Tackle Industries company vehicle.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)