Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> HDS7 info needed

Reply New post
Message Subject: HDS7 info needed
Muskie48
Posted 12/28/2010 8:21 AM (#472254)
Subject: HDS7 info needed

Hello guys,
I am looking to upgrade my electronics to the Lowrance HDS7. My question is what is the difference between the built in mapping chip on the base unit versus the insight usa unit and how accurate are these mapping chips. I mostly fish the Minoqua ans Manitowish Waters chain in northern Wisconsin. Would I be better off just purchasing the base map unit and buying the navionics or lakemaster mapping chips for better accuracy. Which of these two chips is more accurate and detailed in your opinion.
Thanks For your Help in advance.

Jim
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/28/2010 8:30 AM (#472257 - in reply to #472254)
Subject: Re: HDS7 info needed

From my personal experience working with it both ways, the Navionics chips are better. I ran the Navioincs Platinum last year and was flat out amazed on how well the chip was on. I'd save the $100, buy the base unit and put that money towards a Navionics chip.
esoxfly
Posted 12/28/2010 9:56 AM (#472266 - in reply to #472254)

Agreed. Buy the basemap unit and run a chip. The Insight looks cool at lower zooms, but as soon as you zoom in to a usable range, it reverts back to conventional chart topagraphy. Plus, just based on it's LSC data, it's got bouys that don't exist, and omits some that do...those two reasons are why I run chips on my HDS units.
Reef Hawg
Posted 12/28/2010 3:00 PM (#472338 - in reply to #472254)
Subject: RE: HDS7 info needed

Agreed, I run the HDS 7 as a replacement for my LCX 27C, and ordered it with the insight maps. While the relief is cool at zoomed out ranges, the contour maps are not that good, especially when zoomed in, and I find myself using my LM or Navionics chips on every body of water I want to use mapping on.
trollingeyes
Posted 12/28/2010 7:24 PM (#472385 - in reply to #472254)

I also run a HDS 7 in the Minoqua area, I don't have the insight model and run a Lakemaster chip and have no complaints. I'd like to get a Navionics chip also for Vermilion, any input on how good the detail is?
Muskie48
Posted 12/31/2010 1:23 PM (#472758 - in reply to #472254)

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all your input. I think based on your info I will go with the HDS7 basemap and purchase the navionics platinum chip.

Thanks again,
Jim
Jomusky
Posted 1/6/2011 9:45 PM (#473886 - in reply to #472254)

If you spend any time on the waters that Lakemaster has surveyed like Minocqua & Tomahawk. I would recommend you buy that chip too. Navionics would be the first chip and then Lakemaster the second. They both really need to step it up and survey more lakes in Wisconsin. Navionics covers a ton of lakes but with not much detail. Lakemaster either has thier accurate survey or nothing. They both just add a couple more each year. Seems like a scam to me.
bassinbob84
Posted 1/6/2011 11:14 PM (#473895 - in reply to #473886)

Jomusky - 1/6/2011 9:45 PM

If you spend any time on the waters that Lakemaster has surveyed like Minocqua & Tomahawk. I would recommend you buy that chip too. Navionics would be the first chip and then Lakemaster the second. They both really need to step it up and survey more lakes in Wisconsin. Navionics covers a ton of lakes but with not much detail. Lakemaster either has thier accurate survey or nothing. They both just add a couple more each year. Seems like a scam to me.

It's not just wi. I run navionics on my ice fishing gps because it has more lakes and I don't mind drilling holes. I run lakemaster on my summer gps because most of the maps are better and they cover all the musky lakes I fish.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/6/2011 11:28 PM (#473898 - in reply to #473895)

Have either of your guys tried a newer Platinum chip, like a 2010? If not, try it, I think you'll be surprised. Many of the lakes I fish in Northern WI were very well represented on the Platinum, a lot different than my 2008. The Platinum does cost a bit extra, but well worth it in my opinion!
trollingeyes
Posted 1/7/2011 5:50 PM (#474039 - in reply to #472254)

TJ how was the platinum chip on Vermilion?
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/8/2011 8:06 AM (#474121 - in reply to #472254)

I spent two weeks on Vermilion last year, mainly on the West end and I found the Platinum to be nearly dead on, on every structure I fished. I honestly can't say anything bad about the Platinum and feel it's worth the extra money.
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/8/2011 9:03 AM (#474128 - in reply to #472254)

I could be wrong, but I don't beleive the actual contour map for Vermilion is any different on the Platinum than the Premium North chip. The map on the Premium was done in the HD 1' contours, and I found it to be very very close. Not sure if Navionics actually has a separate High Def map for the Platinum for certain lakes that are also mapped in HD on the Premium version or not. There are a few extras obtained with the Platinum, like 3D, top down imagry, photos etc., but I'd be surprised if the actual HD maps were different between the two versions.

Edited by Reef Hawg 1/8/2011 1:08 PM
lambeau
Posted 1/8/2011 9:44 AM (#474133 - in reply to #474128)

I could be wrong

you're not wrong...the essential maps are the same between the Platinum and Premium chips - and those are what you use the most anyway. the Platinum has other features that distinguish it from the Premium such as 3D view of structure when not zoomed in very far.

the biggest changes really seem to happen between years, as Navionics (and Lakemaster too) add more lakes through their surveying process. check the lake lists on their website to see what they've done; i upgrade only on those years when they add/improve certain lakes that i'm interested in.

trollingeyes
Posted 1/8/2011 9:21 PM (#474294 - in reply to #472254)

Thanks for the info guys, thats what keeps me coming back on a daily basis. I picked up the premium chip and can't wait for this hard water to go away!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)