Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Level wind vs non level wind

Message Subject: Level wind vs non level wind
ravigne
Posted 12/30/2010 2:28 AM (#472563)
Subject: Level wind vs non level wind

Just wondering how many of you guys use non level wind reels for burning double 10s. I am interested in the Daiwa Saltist BG 35, Okuma Cedros or Shimano Torium. I am wondering how the line goes back onto the reel, I anticipate having to guide the line manually with my left thumb (i am right handed) but I have alos heard that when using 100lb braid, the line will guide itself onto the spool, is this correct? thank you.
Chasin50
Posted 12/30/2010 6:03 AM (#472569 - in reply to #472563)
Subject: Re: Level wind vs non level wind

With my Avet (no line guide) and 80 lb, it pretty much takes care of itself.
MNEsox
Posted 12/30/2010 8:25 AM (#472583 - in reply to #472563)
Subject: RE: Level wind vs non level wind

I have a Saltist 20 and given the option would get the levelwind but I also have a Trinidad 16N and once I got past worrying about it I've had very few issues. If you're using it for casting at most you'll have one messed up cast if the line builds up too much on one side - toss the bait out and you're back to normal. For me, I found that adjusting my casting style a bit was more of an issue than on the retrieve - the line can really fly off the reel with no levelwind there to slow it down - I had a few backlashes as I adjusted.
You'll be happy with the Saltist.
adamsnez
Posted 12/30/2010 8:33 AM (#472586 - in reply to #472563)

You're only concerned about the 'casting' portion of the line anyways (100-150yards - just numbers, people, don't say "i can cast farther" haha). I have a SaltistLD20 i recently got but haven't used it yet. I'm not overly concerned about thumbing the line back on.... We're not talking about catching fish who'll peel your line and almost spool you. I think when I start burning blades, I won't be concerned with thumbing and spooling it up properly
happy hooker
Posted 12/30/2010 8:43 AM (#472588 - in reply to #472586)

I have the saltist 30 and LOVE IT ,,,I can get away with having a dumb thumb,,,however I can see an advantage to using a non level wind in November when heaving huge baits it one less thing to ice up and levelwinds are one of the first things that do.
knooter
Posted 12/31/2010 5:52 PM (#472807 - in reply to #472563)

Trinidad 14 for me. Fantastic in the fall when everything else freezes up. I found that once you find the sweet spot for filling the spool (80% or so), it doesn't make a huge difference if you guide the line on or not. You just have to pay attention to which way you point your rod during the retreive. Although I like my Trinidad, I think when I buy a new reel for big rubber I am going to get the Saltist levelwind. I've found it's distracting trying to keep the spool loaded up evenly while working baits with pull and pause retrieves. The wind seems to catch the slack line and push it to one side of the spool or the other. Not a big deal, but I'd rather not lose a fish because I was focusing on my equipment, not my bait.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)