Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Gel Coat Paste

Reply New post
Message Subject: Gel Coat Paste
MuskieMike
Posted 12/30/2010 1:32 PM (#472625)
Subject: Gel Coat Paste

I have a few deeper scratches I need to fill on the Tuffy this winter. I've researched it a little bit, and it seems I need to fill them with a color matched gel coat paste, wet sand, then buff. Has anyone ever done this, and if so what brand of paste did you use?
sworrall
Posted 12/30/2010 8:06 PM (#472662 - in reply to #472625)
Subject: RE: Gel Coat Paste

Any that match the color will work.
Top H2O
Posted 12/30/2010 8:39 PM (#472668 - in reply to #472662)

Since I work with fiberglass and coatings everyday, I do know that what you want to do is very simple,......... just buy the right color ,mix it up, fill in the area ,sand, sand, sand, and buff...... but my question is...... How do I match the glass flake on my Skeeter that is in need of repair and how do I get rid of gel coat spider web cracks (from bouncing off of Tree's up in Caney Creek, on Cave Run) that are also in the sparkly flake area ?
There are like 3-4 different color flakes all mixed up that need to be repaired. Is there a DIY website for this type of repair ?

Thanks, Jerome

Edited by Top H2O 12/30/2010 8:52 PM
MuskieMike
Posted 12/30/2010 9:25 PM (#472674 - in reply to #472625)

Luckily the part I want to fix first is all black. There area couple of spots in the black cherry poly-flake I would like to fix as well. I was going to mix up the black cherry, then just ad a little glitter? Not sure if that would work, but it should be close?
sworrall
Posted 12/30/2010 10:39 PM (#472682 - in reply to #472625)
Subject: Re: Gel Coat Paste

In order to come close, you will need to use the same color flake and mix it with clear. Use the mix to repair dings and digs in poly, but it won't be perfect. Crazes...no real fix that's permanent if they are through the base coats.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)