Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> 7 Strand Leaders

Message Subject: 7 Strand Leaders
markw
Posted 11/1/2010 9:43 AM (#465235)
Subject: 7 Strand Leaders

I'm starting to make my own leaders and I've got question for those of you that make your own 7 strand leaders. Do you knot your loop, or crimp with a sleeve? If you crimp, do you just bring the tag through the sleeve and crimp, or do you loop it through the sleeve a second time (tight against the sleeve - not looped) before crimping?

Then, if/when you crimp, do you put a few crimps in the sleeve or do you crimp the whole thing until it's flat? I've seen them both ways.

I've found a lot of info on single wire tying methods for muskie leaders, but little on 7 strand. Muskie Matt has a youtube vid where he loops it through the sleeve a second time - that's where I got that idea.

Schuler
Posted 11/1/2010 11:13 AM (#465245 - in reply to #465235)
Subject: Re: 7 Strand Leaders

I always make them with the single opening sleeves. go through the skinnier end first, then when you go back through you bring it back to the opening but do not go through. I then crimp it until its flat. I've never had a failure doing this.
stdevos
Posted 11/3/2010 6:26 PM (#465492 - in reply to #465235)

I just do it up simple, pull the tag end through the crimp and flatten with a vise grip. I also use shrink tubing over the crimps so you don't have a sharp tag end getting stuck on weeds, on your line, etc. Occasionally, like before a trip to canada I'll get anal and do 2 crimps on each end but I've never had one fail with just one crimp.
FEVER
Posted 11/3/2010 7:23 PM (#465496 - in reply to #465235)

I also pull the tag end through the crimp and flatten with a vise grip and
never had one fail. But I really like the shrink tube application.
Thanks stdevos.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)