Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Busting Lips !

Message Subject: Busting Lips !
bturg
Posted 8/14/2010 10:57 PM (#455229 - in reply to #454356)
Subject: RE: Busting Lips !

FYI they sell lips for just under 3 bucks, unfortunatly they charge you 10 to ship.

So I ordred ten to get the shipping costs to a buck a piece, so if you are a metro guy and need a lip or two I may have a spare.
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 8/15/2010 12:06 AM (#455234 - in reply to #454356)
Subject: Re: Busting Lips !

Just think if a company has not fixed the problem by now I'd stop doing business with them and switch to grandmas. They work great and I don't bust the lips on them. Its just that simple.

Edited by Don Pfeiffer 8/15/2010 12:07 AM
bturg
Posted 8/15/2010 9:52 AM (#455247 - in reply to #454356)

Well Don,
It sucks that the lips break, but for me they work way better than the Gramas so I live with it.

Edited by bturg 8/15/2010 10:11 AM
Bytor
Posted 8/15/2010 10:28 AM (#455249 - in reply to #454475)

dogboy - 8/11/2010 5:31 AM
why did a suick 10 years ago cost $14 and now they are $19?
I guarantee parts havent gone up that much in price, heck most of the stuff comes from china, so way cheaper by the dozen there.

Well I can tell you that in 2006 my cost in one of my double 10's was a little over $6 and now it is a little over $10. Everything costs way more now.
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/15/2010 12:16 PM (#455269 - in reply to #454356)

I broke a number of lips on a certain 10" crank over the years, some just hitting a piece of water. I also have a number of these with broken lips that were used and abused that I wouldn't think of sending in. I sent in about 6 lures over the years, that broke on the first or second outing, always with great response. A couple years ago I sent two of them in to the new company(that I had either the company or stan paint in custom colors) that broke on my first outing with them. I was sent a fairly unfriendly return letter by a company manager that I was abusing the lures, and that the 'lifetime warranty'(that I was never aware of) from the previous owner no longer applied. I simply decided to buy from others for our lacal Musky club. However, the 10" crank made by this company(actually it is the older ones I prefer) is one of my favorite lures.

Long story short, I broke a lip on a replacement for my lost favorite 10" crank, while fishing with my friend Mike Lewis in Mn a few days ago. It was the third cast with the new lure over deep water. I won't send it in, knowing the eventual response. Perhaps someone here has a stash of replacement lips of a tougher material that they'd want to part with a few of? The one concern is the little piece of lip that is still up in the lure.

Edited by Reef Hawg 8/15/2010 12:25 PM
MNSteveH
Posted 8/15/2010 10:03 PM (#455318 - in reply to #454356)

I've busted lips ofd three different 9" Grandmas in the past year and a half. They are my favorite bait and I've had a lot of success with them but they just don't seem to be very durable on the cast. My feeling is they break from the impact when hitting the water. I've had some 10" Jakes >10 years and have never broke one but the fish sometimes seem to like the G better.

I've sent them back to the factory and they been replaced no questions asked - I heard they had a "bad batch" of lexan a couple years ago.

Ted Stechschulte
Posted 9/13/2010 3:03 PM (#459215 - in reply to #454356)

Guys,

I am one of the owners of Drifter Tackle and I thought I could shed some light on this topic for everyone. First of all, every one of our lures are made right here in the United States of America. They are molded, assembled and hand painted by our 12 employees. With respect to the Jake lips, we changed the plastic material early this year from a clear polycarbonite to a much tougher plastic. You will notice the change in that the lips are no longer perfectly clear but rather have a milky look.

The lip design of the Jake was intentional in that if the lip is broken, it can be replaced. We all know the stresses these lures are often placed under and we tried to make the lip replaceable thereby allowing the lure to last much longer.

As always, we stand 100% behind our products and if you have a defective lure we will repair or replace it.

Thanks for input guys, it really helps us as we continue to develop and manufacture quality products.

Ted Stechschulte
President
Drifter Tackle Inc.
lambeau
Posted 9/13/2010 3:24 PM (#459216 - in reply to #454356)

thanks, Ted.
i've got a few 10" Jakes (sans lips) coming your way from this year.
also, have one or two chrome Jakes that lost their paint after a couple of casts...i'm hoping you've figured out a fix for that too? i love the colors and will keep buying them IF they'll hold their paint like the normal patterns do.
Tackle Industries
Posted 9/14/2010 7:01 AM (#459290 - in reply to #454356)

Making lips is a challenge. You need to use the correct plastic and grade of plastic as well as under lip support for stress. Took me 4 molds for my Mag Shad lips before I was happy. Not cheap! I made 5 molds of my lip for my new hybrid Shallow Shad lure. You will see that one soon but the lip on it is a tank. Metal is the way to go but even then you have screw holes giving out. Good tricks for metal too is to use long screws and also put screws in with epoxy. James
zstech
Posted 11/10/2010 10:33 AM (#466194 - in reply to #454356)

Drifter Tackle, in response to field complaints about Jake lips occasionally breaking, has sourced a new material that is almost indestuctable. We are shipping the new material on all new Jakes as of November 1st. If you have broken lips in the past, please contact the factory for free replacements. Drifter Tackle takes great pride in manufacturing the highest quality products on the market and everything we offer is 100% American Made! We thank our customers for their loyal support. You can contact us at [email protected].

Zach Stechschulte
National Sales Manager
Drifter Tackle, Musky Mania, Esox Research Company
hawkeye9
Posted 11/10/2010 12:13 PM (#466209 - in reply to #455129)

Roughneck's comment makes alot of sense. I definitely want quality. I've broken a few baits. But for the number I break it's still cost effective for me to live with a few broken baits over against spending $50+. No doubt that many of the guys making small batch, handcrafted baits put out amazing products with super quality. But if I'm dropping serious coin on a bait it's because the bait does something that I just can't get in any other cheaper, mass produced bait. "Built like a tank" quality alone won't get me to open up my wallet and reach that far down. Made soley in the US loosens the strings a bit, though. Jakes and Grandmas get it done for me. I'm not in that elusive 1% group. If I were I would see the need to spend more cash. And I've got no jealousy issues with those that are. I appreciate learning what they're doing with really cool (but really expensive) baits.

BTW glad to see that Drifter (to no surprise as a reputable company) is standing behind their product. Good for them! They'll continue to get my buisness.
cajun84
Posted 11/11/2010 8:38 PM (#466414 - in reply to #454506)

dogboy - 8/11/2010 10:01 AM
plastic is too wishy washy. they leak, the crack, the hook hangers get pulled out on a fish. theyre all made the same way, yet some work, some dont, some track nice,
some wont even stay in the water no matter what you do.
and the plastic is changing yet all the time. i dont think a plastic injected bait should shatter if you hit something. especially when a lip on an all molded bait busts off.

I work at Sony and I'm a tech that deals with the jolly fun of polycarbonate on a daily basis. The same general rule applies to the lures, plastics of any kind are very temperature and moisture sensitive. The plastic can either become too brittle or too flexible and getting the moisture level just right and keeping it there is a nightmare at times. Also the temperature at which the material is heated before it is injected to mold has a major effect on the outcome. I generally work as a print technician and even with all of the quality checks that are performed in molding, we still get brittle discs as well as sometimes a molding defect which is what has happened to your lures that leak. Obviously they aren't going to the extreme on a lure as a cd, dvd, or bd disc, so the quality, I'm sure is probably even worse. I will say that pikemaster is correct as far as I have seen though, I have yet to break a grandma lip, I have one that got a little loose, but never had one crack. I have also noticed that the grandmas seem to have a little better action in my opinion. Anyway, in a nutshell, plastics aren't perfect. Good luck and if you are happy with what you have that's all that matters. I'm sure someone would look in my boxes and say, you don't have an custom made baits, but I'm in the same boat as you, I don't have alot of money to spend all of the time and I can sure deal with leaving a $20 grandma at the bottom of the lake than a $60 custom!
jakejusa
Posted 11/12/2010 9:24 AM (#466438 - in reply to #454356)

I'll add my 2 cents to this array of wisdom. 70% of my day is buying plastic, different kinds for different applications. Polycarbonate is considered an industry standard for strenght. Lexan is a brand as is Makrolon. These "brands" have mulitple grades. There is also packages in the different grades ie: UV to block the harmful rays. There are several makers but Bayer & Sabic ( old GE Polymerland) are the big players. Once you have the right PC the design is absolutely critical. We have a part now that is taking shock levels that would crush most materials but the design allows the PC to distribute the force of the impact. The other factor that is often overlooked is thickness of the lip itself. There is a balance point of thick lip for strenght and how the bait rides at rest. Thats why James had so much fun on his molds. That's why most of us bass tourney fishermen from the 70's would buy 12 cranks & shave lips until we got the right action. (out of 12 we would get 6 good ones if we were lucky!) All in all lips will break, & I'd rather have a lip break off and still have the body rather than have the lip stay in place and crack out the body of the bait. OK 4.5 cents...
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)