Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> yet another rod/weight/length question...

Message Subject: yet another rod/weight/length question...
jwellyman
Posted 9/24/2010 10:45 AM (#460675)
Subject: yet another rod/weight/length question...

Hey all:

I know this topic has been beaten to death for you all, but I'm really struggling with selecting a first rod to use for muskie. I expect to be using bucktails of various sizes, and spinnerbaits, and topwater would be nice too. I've settled on getting a SC Premiere. Now, my question is with length and weight. I'm bouncing between the 7'6" MH and the 8'0" MH, or maybe I should be looking at the H weight. I've read everywhere on here that people are preferring the longer lengths, but since I'm only going to have one rod/reel combo for awhile, this may need to be multipurpose for awhile. Can a MH rod handle DC-8's/10's effectively, or do these need the H weight? At what size/weight lure do you move from a MH to a H weight rod?

I will be pairing it up with a AG Revo Toro 60. Thanks for all responses.
momuskies
Posted 9/24/2010 11:26 AM (#460679 - in reply to #460675)
Subject: Re: yet another rod/weight/length question...

I have the 8' MH St. Croix. While I really like the rod for a lot of things (topwater, regular bucktails including dc-8s, twitchbaits, smaller plastics), it is too light for double cowgirls and heavier plastics such as mag dawgs. If you really want to fish those larger baits, this rod will make it difficult for you. If you really only plan on using those kinds of baits rarely, you will probably be fine.
jwellyman
Posted 9/24/2010 2:40 PM (#460706 - in reply to #460675)
Subject: RE: yet another rod/weight/length question...

thanks for the reply. It seems like everyone seems to be using H or XH. Makes me scared to buy a MH rod. I'm leaning toward the 8' MH, although I'm wondering if I'll regret not getting the H...
Flambeauski
Posted 9/24/2010 2:54 PM (#460709 - in reply to #460675)

Like Momuskies said, the MH will be too light for double 10's. double 8's and everything below including prop topwaters it is ideal but loads up too much for double 10's. If it were me I'd get the PM86HF as it seems the extra 6 inches aids in throwing lighter blades.
Landry
Posted 9/24/2010 2:57 PM (#460711 - in reply to #460706)

Although it seems too stiff for you at this point, you are definitely better off going with the 8' heavy. I have it and it is a good all purpose rod. It is a good length, stiff enough to get by with double tens and some big plastics but it will still throw regular bucktails or baits around 1.5 - 3 ounces.
Trust me, I started thinking 7' MH was fine and wasted a lot of money along the way. I now only fish heavy - xxh rods from 7'6 to 8'6" and i actually use the longer rods more often.
I owned the 7'6" MH and it was too soft for my liking.

Landry
Fiedler
Posted 9/24/2010 3:01 PM (#460712 - in reply to #460675)

I would go with either the 8' h 2-6oz or the 8'6"xh 4-10oz. you will be able to throw anything except pounders with either of these rods
Tackle Industries
Posted 9/24/2010 8:47 PM (#460747 - in reply to #460712)

IMO do not go by MH, H XH ,etc but the lure rating and "speed". That will help you narrow down a few rods and then of course ask Qs on a forum. Many guys here have rods sitting in a corner gathering dust for a reason. Some are very expensive rods too.
fish4musky1
Posted 9/24/2010 9:17 PM (#460753 - in reply to #460675)

The St. Croix 8' MH is a great rod. It's a pretty good all purpose rod but not the best for double 10's due to difficultly in the figure 8, but if your not throwing them all day this rod would be fine. I used it for a couple years throwing everyhting in my box. You can cast mag dawgs with it but you really need to lob them. It does cast 9inch curly sues just fine and they are just a tad smaller than the mag dawg but still work just as good.
jwellyman
Posted 9/24/2010 11:30 PM (#460759 - in reply to #460675)

All great info guys. I don't have the opportunity of seeing the rods as they are not stocked where I live. I do have bps and cabelas, and I've already ordered both the 7-6mh and the 8mh, in hopes I would like one and just return the other. Now I'm thinking I'm thinking I might regret not getting the h, so now I might order the h just so I can compare. But to be honest, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to tell as I'm just not experienced in all the different stuff to throw. Don't really know about length and storage. I know my boat can't store over 7'. Maybe the telescoping rod would be a good option. Darn the choices! I've always been the type to opt for lighter tackle, but that doesn't seem to work with Muskie.
brewcrew
Posted 9/25/2010 10:22 AM (#460782 - in reply to #460675)

The MH St.Croix would be a great choice for a first rod like most have been saying. To be honest MH, H, and XH all mean something different to each rod company, try to use a rod before you buy it to see if its what your looking for.
Landry
Posted 9/26/2010 10:23 PM (#460908 - in reply to #460759)

You should return those rods and get one of James' Tackle Industry rods then. I bet his 8 footer would fit in your locker (detachable handle). I think you will regret going with the St Croix MH. The H is a much better choice IMO.
Landry
shaley
Posted 9/26/2010 11:22 PM (#460910 - in reply to #460908)

James also offers telescoping rods to, personaly I run all 9' rods in H and XH and any will cast anything I want up to pounders.
jackson
Posted 9/27/2010 9:25 AM (#460931 - in reply to #460675)

8' is perfect for most things. I would stick with a good 8' rod, heavy action, as a general purpose rod. It may not throw dbl 10's and huge plastics, but in all reality it will throw more baits than you can fit in a tackle box.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)